Stiff, sore knees (Read 853 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone have any good treatments? I don't want to be taking pain relievers every night, but lately my knees are crabby. And I find that I have a really hard time squatting and getting back up, for instance when I am trying to find something on the bottom shelf of the fridge. What is the cause of this and what sorts of solutions are there? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Lots of possible causes. Most likely culprit: running. Double check: shoes, distance run recently, pace of running, surface run on, resting enough, strength training and flexibility. Temporary solution: ice. Ice after every run. And ibuprofin to decrease swelling. Oh... and moving things to top shelf of fridge. Wink Better solution: fix something listed after "double check."

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My shoes should be OK...not even 200 miles on them. I am increasing my distance, but at a pace of no more than 10%/week (I increase my minutes each week, but the distance follows pretty closely), pace about the same as always, same surface, same # of rest days...but I could use some strength training (what sorts of exercises might help?). I haven't been sleeping as well in the past week, but the sore knees thing has been bothering me for longer than that. I am looking to buy a second pair of shoes pretty soon, though...might be interesting to see if that helps, though I think my current shoes should have a ton of life and cushioning left in them. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

One rule of thumb about shoes that I'm learning to follow (remember, I learn the hard way!) is that if you're starting to hurt it may be time to replace shoes, regardless of milage. 200 is more than my last pair got... I know they say 300-500, but that's not an absolute rule. Worth a try, anwyay!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I do know that they are a fairly lightweight shoe, so maybe they are starting to wear. Perhaps I will try to get down to the NB store in Grand Rapids this week. I don't really have the $$ to drop on a new pair of shoes at the moment, though. I'll be going on my trip to LA in just over 2 weeks and I am really trying to save my pennies for that. I'll have to see how my next few runs go and if I am still having knee pain it might be the only solution. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Went back and scanned through your log. Only thing I could see there is that when you went from 3 days to 4 back in June you didn't cut down on the time of your runs but it looks like you just plopped a long run down in the middle of the week. I don't know if that's the issue or not - just something you might not have thought about. It could be finally catching up to you. I think the dramatic increase I had in the end of May was partially responsible for my hip injury towards the end of June. That and old shoes and a slightly inbalanced stride...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I wonder. It sure did take a while to catch up to me, if that is the culprit. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I dunno. I'm (unfortunately) having to learn all this running injury stuff by trial and error... Maybe I ought to study up a little more... Hmm...

vicentefrijole

One rule of thumb about shoes that I'm learning to follow (remember, I learn the hard way!) is that if you're starting to hurt it may be time to replace shoes, regardless of milage. 200 is more than my last pair got... I know they say 300-500, but that's not an absolute rule. Worth a try, anwyay!
                    I agree with that. I've had to retire some shoes really early for no reason other than I always feel terrible after I run in them. It gets expensive, but, hey, it's only money! Roll eyes
                      I don't know the exact cause of this but I used to get something similar after I ran. So did others I know. What we did to help it was a combination of weighttraining and stretching focused on our knees. Best way I can describe it is placing your left ankle on your other knee while standing up and then pushing your bent knee down where is stretches the outside muscles near your knee. It doesn't feel like you are doing anything but it helped. Doing hamstring excercises (deadlifts, curls, etc) will also help. Something else you could do is run some of your route on your toes. It puts a lot more strain on your calves, but gives your knees a little break.
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

side note: Hi, Corbin. Nice to meet'cha! Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, Corbin, I will have to try some of those things...though I am a bit afraid to try anything that stresses my calves, since I am pretty prone (at least in the past) to tight calf/shin splint issues. That stretch sounds good and working on my hamstrings is probably a good idea, too--I tend to have strong quads, so maybe I need to get the backs of my thighs strengthened to help the knees. k

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I would like to give you advice, but it seems like Wingz cornered that market pretty well :-p My knees do bother me slightly toward the end of my marathon training. When that happens, I would do some strengthen exercises for the muscles around the knee, such as the quads, and the problem would go away in about a week. That's all I got. I apologize for cutting into your rabbit season Big grin
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

No, no. Wabbits are vewy welcome dis time of da year... Big grin I only cornered the market because you were busy hiding down in your burrow... Tongue [sneak] [sneak] [sneak] heh heh heh. he can't hear me now... [sneak] [sneak] [sneak]

Rabbit season is right!! I hope you can run fast now...we have 3 kitties in the house & one rabbit dog!! Ok, so she is a cow dog, but she has been known to bring home a muskrat or two...I'm sure a bunny wouldn't be a far stretch!
                                So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3