The changing culture of running 'races'. (Read 759 times)

No more marathons

That's me.  I tried, and succeeded, in not dying at the beginning of April.

When I first began wasting my time on these message boards, SRL was one of my, for want of a better word, inspirations.  I remember a link to a Hawaiian radio station several years ago as he was also successful at not dying.  May you continue to do so!!  Good to have your wit and wisdom around.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

How 'bout we call that good news! Nice to have you back in the neighborhood.

+1

be healthy & happy, Stevie Ray.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Docket_Rocket

Nice to see SRL around these parts.

Carry on.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Feeling the growl again

That's me.  I tried, and succeeded, in not dying at the beginning of April.

The changing culture of running 'races' to me just means more races for me not to win.

If you've only got so many wins in you, best to save them for when it is important.  It appears you did so.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kk_kittenkat

I was a little surprised to see SRLopez make a post here last week since he's been gone for a while.

But then I noted the screen name he parked his account on, "xor," was still active on Ntown Kevin's eponomy thread.

So, if you give up a screen name can another account grab it? Perhaps he grabbed it with another account for himself. Perhaps he didn't.

This makes makes me wonder who actually posted in this thread as srl? Did he really come back and post in this forum after well over a year just to reprimand kk? That seems pretty silly to me.

I have a magnetic personality!

kk_kittenkat

When I first began wasting my time on these message boards, SRL was one of my, for want of a better word, inspirations.  I remember a link to a Hawaiian radio station several years ago as he was also successful at not dying.  May you continue to do so!!  Good to have your wit and wisdom around.

No-one is successful at not dying. Well not yet anyway.

I've only been running about 18 months or so. My first 5K was 25:43. I ran it all out and thought I'd die at the end. My last 5K, last Thanksgiving was in 22:38, also balls to the wall. I've gotten a bit faster in that my last 10K was run in a faster per mile pace than that last 5K so perhaps I can run a 5K all out around 21 and change. I give all that I've got in the those races and nearly pass out or throw up at the end. I find it ridiculous that you claim you can stand at a finish line and just know that slow people are half assed in their efforts. I'm much much slower than you are yet I ran 60 miles this week with two tempo workouts and a 15 miler. I give my running a lot of time and effort. I'm getter faster and perhaps in a few years, if age doesn't get me, I might approach your 5K times (or maybe I won't).

But if you call me half assed, I'll call you a dumb ass. Your 17 and change 5K is half assed to the elites. It's all relative you know. The people at the back of the race are putting in tons of effort. Imagine spending 5 plus hours in a marathon. My slow 3:49 marathon was a long slog - I can't imagine the willpower needed for a new and possibly overweight runner to be on the road for 5 or 6 hours.

He didn't call you half-assed. He just said many runners at the back of the pack seem that way, and that definitely resonates with me. I know a good number of friends that run 5k in the 25-40 min range...and the majority of them don't push themselves. They run the race as a jog with friends.

Of course, this does not mean that every runner over 25:00 or whatever arbitrary time you pick is running half-assed, some of the guys/gals running 35+ minutes are absolutely busting their ass to do so.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How 'bout we call that good news! Nice to have you back in the neighborhood.

+1.  I was concerned; glad to have you back with us.

kk_kittenkat

He didn't call you half-assed. He just said many runners at the back of the pack seem that way, and that definitely resonates with me. I know a good number of friends that run 5k in the 25-40 min range...and the majority of them don't push themselves. They run the race as a jog with friends.

Of course, this does not mean that every runner over 25:00 or whatever arbitrary time you pick is running half-assed, some of the guys/gals running 35+ minutes are absolutely busting their ass to do so.

I agree with this. I am and always have been 'a woman in a man's world'. It's a clunky phrase but the best I can think of right now so let's go with it. I've been good at sport, taught and lectured sport. I am better than the average man, actually better than the above average man at most sports. I know this and I am confident in that; but that is also coupled with my character which is very confident in the sporting arena. I'm a little bit of a freak in that because I know SO many women who feel really unsure of themselves in sport. Sweeping generalisation, but men just get out there and do it, women worry about whether people are looking at them and judging them for being slow or whatever. Also men more than women seem to engage in actual competition and get a buzz from that.

Unfortunately I know that I'm unusual in my drive, but that shouldn't be?

No one here seems to be saying that running slow is half-assed. It's just not fast. Moreover if people aren't competing (amongst themselves, or for a goal time) then they are not racing, they are participating in an event.

No more marathons

if people aren't competing (amongst themselves, or for a goal time) then they are not racing, they are participating in an event.

Best distinction  ^ I've seen.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Runner Mike

Honestly, Who really gives a flip.

If you care too much about what other runners are doing, I suggest that you have too much on your plate.

Let's face it…outside the NCAA/College or the National/World Championships…we are all just half-assing it out there. to almost no one here this is nothing more than a hobby. How people want to conduct it, doesn't affect my approach.

If some dude wants to walk a 5K with his wife and enjoy the event. Who cares? If he wants to say he race it? Doesn't bother me.

What counts is how I feel about it. I wouldn't spend my $$ and time on an untamed event. Every time I race, I try to put in an effort with either a time goal or some other goal.  But that's me.

kk_kittenkat

I just feel really deflated now, work is intense (which is my problem). But... Hey ho.

bap

Honestly, Who really gives a flip.

If some dude wants to walk a 5K with his wife and enjoy the event. Who cares? If he wants to say he race it? Doesn't bother me.

I don't give a flip, UNLESS THEY START IN FRONT OF ME!!! 

Certified Running Coach
                              Crocked since 2013