Running 7 days a week bad? (Read 142 times)

littleGizmo

Is running 7 days a week a bad thing?

20+ some years ago when I was in high school running on my cross country team I remember I ran 7 days a week?   Is that bad?  Now I am just sticking to 3-4 days a week because not in the shape I was back then. Is that bad though ? I see most online running plans saying 3-4 days a week so I am thinking when I ran 7 days a week in high school maybe that was a bad thing? i never recall getting injured in cross country or over doing it back then, but back then I was only 120 lbs now I am 200 Smile

in high school I remember my training plan when I was in cross country went something like this:

Mon: 2-3 miles, Tues: Hills/ intervals + 2-3 miles, Wed: 2-3 miles, Thurs: Hills/ intervals + 2-3 miles, Friday: 2-3 miles, Saturday: Race Day, Sunday: 5 miles. Lift weights 3-4 times a week.

Now I couldn't follow a training plan like that I would end up injuring myself, but back then when I was an in shape 120 lb high school student that's the general running routine I followed and I never got injured in Cross Country.

Was I overtraining by running 7 days a week back then?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In and of itself, no it's not bad.  It's how you run those 7 days that makes a difference.  Look at your HS schedule closely. Every other day you were running only 2-3 miles for recovery, not much more than a good warm up at your fitness level then.  But now, running 2-3 miles may be a major workout for you, so your recovery may need to be a complete rest day, hence running only 3-4 days a week.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

an amazing likeness

Is running 7 days a week a bad thing?...

No. The number of days or workouts isn't the driver of injury risk: having a mismatched between workload, capacity to handle the workload and its stimulus, and recovery is the driver of injury.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

No. The number of days or workouts isn't the driver of injury risk: having a mismatched between workload, capacity to handle the workload and its stimulus, and recovery is the driver of injury.

I loved my recent physical therapist in terms of knowledge. Probably one of the best I've ever worked with. But the one thing I just disagreed with her on was that no rest days increased injury risk. She was vehement that you need rest days to recover, and said 7 days of running per week was guaranteed injury.

If you wanted to run 140 miles over a 2 week period (70 per week), I think most people would feel they're at a much lower risk of injury by running 10 miles every single day for those 14 days than 20 miles every other day. Almost every runner you hear who switched from singles to doubles say they recover faster.

Long story short - 7 days in and of itself is not overtraining. Milktruck said it perfectly.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I'm a great believer, personally, in having at least one rest day each week.  But that is because I do quite a lot of workouts, so I need the extra recovery and I also find the rest day refreshes me mentally.  If I want to up mileage, I will start throwing doubles in long before I sacrifice that rest day.

On the plan you were following, 4 of the days were easy.  If you're running those genuinely easy - and the overall mileage isn't massive by any stretch - I don't see how 7 days would be an issue.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I run 7 days a week. That said, I intentionally have one day that is only 1-2 miles at easy pace and one day that is no more than 5k at most at easy pace. Some people find they get injured if they don't take full days off running each week. I haven't had to take time off for injuries in my current streak and it's been going for quite a while. 7 days a week is bad for some people and pretty good for others.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

berylrunner

Rick

I was in my best shape during run streaks.  Then I would over do it in a race, mileage, and workouts because I would feel so good.  I think it is fine to run every day, just add a lot of variety.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

littleGizmo

OK thanks for the advice. If I did eventually get up to 7 days week, but kept mileage low each day wouldn't be that hard on my body. Right now I am at around 10 miles a week running mileage and started last month adding back in weight training with back/front squats and heavier weights along with cross training in some cycling/ elipitcal work. Right now I run 3 days a week and follow a lifting routine I have loved since a kid which is Arnold Swartzenegers 3 day bodybuilding split, same routine I used when I did cross country in High School. In high school I ran 7 days a week and did a lot of back/front squats with weights, back then I was critized by my cross country coach for doing  squats....bad for knees he would tell me.. but it never seemed back then to effect my knees much. I also throw in a day or two of cycling / eliptical.  I might eventually work up to more then 4 days a week of running, maybe 5 or 6 or even 7. I want get my weekly miles eventualy up to 15-20 miles.  I am trying to lose more weight, though since started weight lifting again sticking at 200 lbs. My clothes are getting looser though on my body, shrunk down from a 38 to a 36 inch waist size pants can fit into now and my poundage in my lifting has been increasing so maybe I am replacing muscle with fat... I wish Wink  70 more pounds to lose.

Marky_Mark_17

In high school I ran 7 days a week and did a lot of back/front squats with weights, back then I was critized by my cross country coach for doing  squats....bad for knees he would tell me.. but it never seemed back then to effect my knees much. 

Yeah, he was wrong.  Squats are one of the best strength exercises that runners can do.  Uses your quads and your glutes and by strengthening them it'll actually reduce the load on your knees!

Anyway sounds like you are making some great progress, well done!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mr MattM

I am trying to lose more weight, though since started weight lifting again sticking at 200 lbs. My clothes are getting looser though on my body, shrunk down from a 38 to a 36 inch waist size pants can fit into now and my poundage in my lifting has been increasing so maybe I am replacing muscle with fat... I wish Wink  70 more pounds to lose.

I think what's important is your goal/motivation.  If weight loss is the core goal, then I would not advise increasing the number of running days.  At least not immediately.  If you wanted to, I'd recommend doing it naturally over a longer period of time.  What's most important is your consistency across all your activities.  I would not risk a setback (which can happen if you increase training load too quickly).

If your goal was to improve your running, then I would advocate for more easy miles and more total days... but that is not your primary focus at this time.  Keep at it!

Just my $0.02

be curious; not judgmental

sandhog

Missed only a handful of days the last 20 years. Only days off were for medical or Mom Nature reasons. Is it the smart or wise thing to do ? Probably not !  That said , I have the time , a great place to run right out my door. Plus I have been blessed with decent health.

I had a 2 + year streak end on Dec. 18 , 2020 because of ice totally shutting everything down. Since then I have only missed 4 days.

Average 5-6 miles per run , usually 170-180 miles per month. Since Jan 2000 , been averaging a little over 2,000 miles per year.

Pace has been slower , still running 8 minute miles. Seeing as I will be 69 in Nov. , just happy to be able to run !  On a 155 day streak , when will it  end ??

evaluation