Running in Kuwait (Read 104 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I’m a reserve component Soldier deploying soon to Kuwait. I’ll spend time at Camp Buehring, among other locations. Anyone have experience running there? How’s the air quality/pollution? Tips for managing the heat?

Thanks.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Mriley16

I didn't run much in Kuwait,  but my 2-mile suffered tremendously in Iraq. I'm not sure if it was the particulate matter in the air or the dryness but I felt like I was hacking up a lung constantly.

Beuhring is in the middle of a pretty desolate stretch of desert and the heat and sand can be tremendously oppressive at times. If you're there anytime from now through September your runs will probably have to be either very late at night or very early in the morning. Sunset and dawn are weird in the desert as the horizon line is so flat and unobstructed so it seems like they last forever. The rest of the year it can actually get relatively cold so be prepared for that.

Hopefully you get a chance to see some sights while you're there. My command was pretty anal about us not getting into trouble with all the brass stalking around (Petraeus cut me in line at the chow hall one time). Nonetheless, I have fond memories of my time in Iraq/Kuwait. 

Godspeed Brother!

I’m a reserve component Soldier deploying soon to Kuwait. I’ll spend time at Camp Buehring, among other locations. Anyone have experience running there? How’s the air quality/pollution? Tips for managing the heat?

Thanks.

I was in the Died for all of 2017 and still ran.  Not 100% the same, but managed the heat. kinda, by running early.  The humidity in the summer was bad, but I just ran slower to deal.

chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

i spent 2016 in Kuwait (Camp AJ) as a mobilized USAR Chaplain. Run in the early mornings (I usually was out and running 04:00 / 04:30). Air quality is good. Also, if you are there in November Kuwait City holds a marathon / half marathon/ 10K / 5K called Gulf Banks 642. It's a once in a lifetime experience if you can swing it. My guess is there will be plenty of 5K / 10K action on the post (Camp AJ held races for T-shirts at least once per month). Embrace the experience!

5k: -- 26:12 (12/17/2016)

10k: 58:36 (6/14/2016)

Half: 2:08:23 (7/4/2015)

Longest: 15.03 (5/31/2014)

Half Marathon Bucket List Goals: 15 of 50 states completed / 2 of 7 Continents completed.

strambo

Early morning would be fine I'm sure, it stays real hot until "night".  I've deployed a lot, but never ran much, wasn't into it then.  I have improved my PT run times while deployed without running, just by doing anaerobic workouts with kettlebells etc.  Good luck, have fun.

I'm in the Nat. Guard and just found out I'm getting a 10 month paid European Vacation to Kosovo starting in January!  I actually don't mind, it will be interesting.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I’m a chaplain also ... thanks for the heads up about the Gulf Bank  642 Marathon. I’m giving it a serious look, will be checking with my command about a pass. Glad to hear it was a good race!

i spent 2016 in Kuwait (Camp AJ) as a mobilized USAR Chaplain. Run in the early mornings (I usually was out and running 04:00 / 04:30). Air quality is good. Also, if you are there in November Kuwait City holds a marathon / half marathon/ 10K / 5K called Gulf Banks 642. It's a once in a lifetime experience if you can swing it. My guess is there will be plenty of 5K / 10K action on the post (Camp AJ held races for T-shirts at least once per month). Embrace the experience!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.