Electrolyte replacement? (Read 1202 times)

Not trying to distract from the original post, but this is kind of along the same lines - is weight loss normal after a long run or are you all better at drinking water?  I couldn't find an answer on google whether weight loss was ok, just that weight gain increases your chances of Hyponatremia.  I ran 20 on Saturday, drank 100oz, took two s-caps, and lost 2lb, and ran 10mi on Sunday, drank 80oz and lost 2lb.  Week over week it's a 2lb loss.  After Saturday I had salt on my arms and felt a little light headed, so that's obvious I didn't drink enough.  As far as electrolytes in the water, I figure just what they recommend you take per hour.   

Weight loss is normal after a long run, especially in warm weather.  At a certain point, it's not physically possible to hydrate as fast as you are losing water and bad things can happen if you try.

Again, drink to thirst.

Runners run

L Train

I've been known to lose 8-10 pounds on a long run in the summer.  If only it were permanent. 

Feeling the growl again

Again, drink to thirst.

If I did this in hot weather, after 2-3 days I would be very dehydrated.  But I don't force down 2 liters in half an hour either.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hoban-Jay

Electro-Mix made by the Emergen-C people. is really good.  No other sweetners or anything.  It's fine in just water, or in a diluted fruit juice.  Or even just a shake of salt and potassium in a diluted fruit juice.

xor

So many issues getting moofed together.

"moofed."  Heh.

Runners run

xor

From the wiki "dogcow" entry:

"The term “dogcow” was first coined by either Scott Zimmerman or Ginger Jernigan.[1] Mark “The Red” Harlan named the dogcow “Clarus” as a joking reference to Apple’s former office-software unit, Claris.[1] The sound she makes is “Moof!” "

Hi Bob.

Also: I am generally in the 'drink to thirst; your body knows what to do' camp.  In ultras, electrolyte supplementation becomes a bigger deal.

I've been known to lose 8-10 pounds on a long run in the summer.  If only it were permanent. 

ok good to know it's normal thankyou MM.

As for the permanent, I like to pause for a moment and pretend the number is my real weight.  8lb would be de-lightful

ymmv

If I did this in hot weather, after 2-3 days I would be very dehydrated.  

Would you be thirsty?

Feeling the growl again

Would you be thirsty?

Nope.  I have to make a conscious effort to rehydrate to the point of frequent clear urine. 

It's not the type of thing that happens over one run....but a graduate dehydration over a few days where the body apparently "gets used to" being dehydrated and does not signal thirst sufficient for full rehydration.  I use myself as an example to make the point but this isn't exactly rare either.

Weighing in is a good way to spot this.  The first time it happened this year I suddenly realized I was 4lbs light every morning.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Netizen Kane

Another 2c - regardless of the studies/science etc, if it works for you that's the truth. Personally (as a heavier runner, living a very hot/humid place) the salts do make a difference on the run, and my best marathons are also those where I have taken in a good few electrolytes.

I prefer the high electrolyte gels - Powergel has 200mg of sodium (and a new version now has 300mg (the taste has suffered a bit)). First Endurance liquid shot also has a high mix of electrolytes. Both are products I liked in use.