What's the worst wind you've ever run in? (Read 893 times)

I had a six mile run last month in 30mph winds which wouldn't have been too bad except the temperature was 3 degrees Fahrenheit. Tom
    Same here-except I only ran 5 miles.
      I've had a bunch of windy runs but the two that stick out the most were a recent run were a very large tree was toppled about 50 meters away and I had great difficulty holding on to my toboggan (that's a stocking cap for any non Viginians). It felt like aqua jogging.
      You know it's funny that you say this. I also grew up (in Northern Louisiana) calling these hats "toboggans." I've said that later in life and people look at me like "what the hell are you talking about?" Maybe we have so little use for cold weather clothing here that people just don't have a need to call them anything very often. Here in SW Louisiana near the coast we barely need more than a fleece jacket in the "winter."
        Lucky Seven Mile Reversible Distance: 7.0 Miles, 11.3 Kilometers Date/Time: Feb. 6, 2000, 9:30 am Location: Central Park, NYC Weather: High 20's, brisk, sunny The wind was blowing at 30-20 mph and the temp at the start of the race was 26 degrees. Only 1,103 runners that day. Nobody wanted to give a speech, the horn sounded and off we ran. the wind was at our backs for the last part of the race thank goodness.
        I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
        C-R

Depends on how much broccoli and beer was consumed the evening prior Shocked 45 mph gusts in a hail storm. Lesson = always check the weather in the Midwest during spring prior to doing a long out and back. Blush

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Today was pretty windy at the start of my run! I was like "Sh*t, I shouldn't have forgotten my gloves!"
            "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
              You know it's funny that you say this. I also grew up (in Northern Louisiana) calling these hats "toboggans." I've said that later in life and people look at me like "what the hell are you talking about?" Maybe we have so little use for cold weather clothing here that people just don't have a need to call them anything very often. Here in SW Louisiana near the coast we barely need more than a fleece jacket in the "winter."
              What??? Toboggans are wooden sleds that 2-3 kids go on and fly down a steep hill. http://www.ntsled.com/ And, no, that isn't my mode of transportation to work every day! Clowning around

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I have been blow off of my feet ... I think that gust was probably around 80 ish. I have also had to crawl from one wind break to another until I got over the hillcrest during one run at around 12,000 feet.
                If you're bored ask why you're boring
                navghtivs

Just yesterday I ran in 35mpg gust to 60mph wind on a 5-mile loop trail. Running downwind was a lot of fun -- I went up a 4% upgrade hill as fast as I would have on flat ground; running upwind actually wasn't so bad -- just lean forward lower my head and run at whatever speed I can; the real tricky thing is running crosswind -- I had to lean my body 15 degree sideways and use shorter strides so that I was not blown off course (I was on a dike so if I went off course I would fall 20ft into either a lake or a ditch ), and I strained my thigh muscle a little while running un-balanced like that.