Flu shots (Read 1073 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just read in the local news yesterday that they are recommending the regular flu shot NOW for at-risk groups (young, old, diabetics, asthmatics, etc.) and then the H1N1 when it becomes available next month.  Seems that this recommendation for the standard shot is coming early this year.  I can't recall ever getting the shot much before Halloween in the past.

Does anyone know if getting the shot so early will require a second shot later in the Winter?  I thought the shot was only good for a couple of months.  When I have gotten the flu in the past it's usually been around Jan. or Feb.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Influenza is happening right now.  Get your shots as soon as possible.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Influenza is happening right now.  Get your shots as soon as possible.

Our Walgreens has a flu clinic on 9/22.  I am definitely planning to hit that.  I have no excuse not to, as that's a planned rest day. Big grin  But will I need a second one later in the season, or is that enough?

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nobody really knows right now and we have no clear recommendations.  TYPICALLY flu peaks once, but this year promises to be atypical.

It is likely that 60-100% of all Americans will contract H1N1 this year.  It is not clear what non-H1N1 influenza will do this Winter.  Heck, it ain't even Fall yet and H1N1 is endemic.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep...guess I'll see what the recommendations are in a few months.  I know at one point they were talking about the H1N1 vaccine requiring a booster, but now it seems the recommendation is just a single shot...at least for now.

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, 60-100%??  You got my attention!  Especially since DS and I are visiting a lot of colleges this fall.  Yikes.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Those are my numbers, but I understand they some experts have similar numbers.  Schools where it has appeared, everybody seems to get it.  It spreads VERY easily. Fortunately, for most, it is very mild.  The flu test we use does not work very well.  Specifically, some 50% of people with the correct symptoms who have H1N1 will test negative.

12-week layoff

Get the flu shot, whichever flu shot, asap. Swine flu is so easily transmissable. The second Friday of the school year, 1/3 of the school was absent. Despite wiping desks with clorox wipes, washing hands obsessively, and essentially bathing in germex, I got it. Luckily, Tamiflu helped, but it knocked out my running...and my hope to start marathon training, for two weeks.Trent, I've read that the rapid flu test, especially for swine flu, is not very accurate. My test was negative, but many of my students had positive tests. I know I've never been that sick, that fast, with a cold. Thoughts on the accuracy of the rapid flu test?

12-week layoff

I see you answered my question before I asked it. One more thought...my doctor also prescribed Tamiflu for my husband and daughter. Neither one got the flu.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A negative test in the setting of influenza-like symptoms is meaningless for H1N1.  A positive test is meaningful.

For you stats/epi hounds: the flu test has a high PPV and a low low NPV.

CDC now recommends that anybody with influenza-like illness get tamiflu regardless of test results.

chrimbler

From what I hear the H1N1 vaccine is not even close to being ready for use, they have no clue as to correct dose and half the health care workers in China are refusing to take it because of this, well that and it apparently has some pretty questionable ingredients.
                        Run like you stole it!
                          I plan to get a flu shot when I have a physical on the 21st. This is also just a test to see the picture I put on my profile.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

From what I hear the H1N1 vaccine is not even close to being ready for use, they have no clue as to correct dose and half the health care workers in China are refusing to take it because of this, well that and it apparently has some pretty questionable ingredients.

You hear wrong.

It should be ready mid-October.  A study released this week showed that it will only take one dose.

chrimbler

You hear wrong.

It should be ready mid-October.  A study released this week showed that it will only take one dose.

Still makes me wonder why Chinese health care workers don't want to take it

Run like you stole it!