Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

Why is it sideways?

Did you warm up? And if so, how did you warm up? Did you do striders or something?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if you can bring down that first 800 by improving your warm up.

True. Also, you gotta go out harder--that first 400 needs to be under 1:30, ideally 1:29. then settle in. You give yourself no shot going out in 1:37.

kopid905

Amores perros, why did you do 1.05 miles?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Amores perros, why did you do 1.05 miles?

Oh that is the garmin watch -- it always overestimates track distance. But I'm lazy and just let it upload whatever it believes.

Sometimes, if I remember, I correct it -- when I believe I know a better answer because I was running in lane 1, that is.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

AP, Might you have gone out a little slow? I think you should try again.

Slow-smooth-fast

AP, Might you have gone out a little slow? I think you should try again.

+1. 

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

MrH

Alana Hadley splits from the VA Beach Half Marathon on Sunday.

5:47,5:43,5:50,5:54,5:52,5:49,5:51,5:57,5:58,6:02,6:02,5:58,5:49,:37

Two of her 13 miles were not under six minutes. She's 14.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Alana Hadley splits from the VA Beach Half Marathon on Sunday.

5:47,5:43,5:50,5:54,5:52,5:49,5:51,5:57,5:58,6:02,6:02,5:58,5:49,:37

Two of her 13 miles were not under six minutes. She's 14.

Holy crap! She is fast!!
                L Train

I think those of us that are arguing with or trying to convince or whatever we are doing with MF by going out and running mile time trials of our own distracts from the message.  I could train as hard and long as I could, and I could never keep up with Jeff or mikey or AP or countless other people in a race.  And there are people who those people could not race with no matter how hard they trained, either. 

The point (in my mind) is maximizing our own individual potential.  It's pretty clear to all of us what the simplest (and probably fastest) thing he would need to do if he wants to try to do that.   If he wants to go about it differently than I guess to each his own.  But he'd be ignoring some pretty smart, talented and helpful people, which seems ridiculous since he's posting publicly about it.   

Great post. Really enjoyed the read. I too am awaiting the birth of my 2nd child. Partner is 38 weeks pregnant. I have been taking any opportunity to go out and run. Been getting in about 50mpw. I will be happy if I can be around this in the foreseeable with our new addition. I am a big fan of nobbys stuff and follow his advice to good effect. For example I went from a 22min 5k to a 18:50 in 8weeks doing nothing but 70mpw of aerobic training. After 8 weeks of this I just felt good one night and tried a 5k time trial. The results speak for themselves. I have been getting the miles in by running to or from work, its 10miles away so convenient. I have just started to up the route too. Did 13.2 mile to work on wed and all aerobic. I am starting to feel great again and feel the benefits through all levels of intensity which has been gained by running as much as I can. Good lick in your pursuit.

@ Eddy - Thanks, and good luck to you two and your imminent arrival as well!  I live 5 miles from work but its back roads with no shoulder and no shower at work.

@ Michigan - I tried to train like you were doing when I first started running.  I was running 10-15 miles per week sporadically.  I was able to creep under a 6 minute mile (5:50) but once I started steadier running of 20-30 MPW I was down to 5:17 in 4 months...granted give this an asterisk because I was starting high school too...I couldn't make the same jump now at age 36 and need many more MPW.

It is worth mentioning the "PR+ 1 sec" I ran indoors on nothing but 60 MPW and no intervals for 3 months was even split, felt very strong, and had my fastest final 400m of any mile I'd ever done.  I wasn't even focused on the mile then, I was racing the 3K/5K.  All mile races I had done prior to that year were on significantly less mileage, the 2nd half of the race was NEVER as fast as the first and I never carried my strength through the race.  That's what I mean by getting rid of the margin of error.

I agree with those who said when you do time trial your first lap needs to be faster than 90 to break 6.  Not 75, but 87, 88.  If you run 97 you are behind the 8 ball and on low mileage it is easier to run a slight positive split than to go negative...the fact you went negative on that low mileage says that you should (and can) go out faster and see if you can hold.

Its all on prioritizing.  I am amazed at the folks on here who carry full time jobs and family and are able to run 70, 80, 100 MPW.  I suspect if I sacrificed the 30-60 min per day I spend lifting weights I could probably run 50-60 and lose 10-15 pounds, and set some fairly ambitious goals after getting the mileage in...though I think some of the time will get sacrificed when the kid comes anyway. 

Those who have been pulling some heavy mileage for many months would probably be able to push down their mile bests by temporarily dropping to low mileage with speed, but that is not a permanent optimal solution for them because if they stay really low for too long their 5K/10K/marathon will begin to suffer.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think those of us that are arguing with or trying to convince or whatever we are doing with MF by going out and running mile time trials of our own distracts from the message.  I could train as hard and long as I could, and I could never keep up with Jeff or mikey or AP or countless other people in a race.  And there are people who those people could not race with no matter how hard they trained, either. 

The point (in my mind) is maximizing our own individual potential.  It's pretty clear to all of us what the simplest (and probably fastest) thing he would need to do if he wants to try to do that.   If he wants to go about it differently than I guess to each his own.  But he'd be ignoring some pretty smart, talented and helpful people, which seems ridiculous since he's posting publicly about it.   

I wasn't trying to argue anything - I was just doing a time trial and sharing the experience, which I understood was something that OP requested.

I'm not very interested in the debate about mileage, but I was interested in the question about subjective experience, and sharing thereof.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Lap splits

1:37

1:38

1:35

1:31

0:02

If you can't run a 6min mile (yet) your effort should not feel conservative, even in the early laps.  So, you may want to practice running 90 second 400s to get the feel for the effort required in the 1st lap.  Once you are comfortable with that add in 800s and maybe the odd 1200 here and there.   Jog at least 1 mile for warm-up with some strides.   Sorry if this was already stated - I'm too lazy to examine every post.

Combine the track practice with more easy miles (broken record) and you should start to see improvements come October.  

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

@ Michigan -  

I agree with those who said when you do time trial your first lap needs to be faster than 90 to break 6.  Not 75, but 87, 88.  If you run 97 you are behind the 8 ball and on low mileage it is easier to run a slight positive split than to go negative...the fact you went negative on that low mileage says that you should (and can) go out faster and see if you can hold.

Its all on prioritizing.  I am amazed at the folks on here who carry full time jobs and family and are able to run 70, 80, 100 MPW.  I suspect if I sacrificed the 30-60 min per day I spend lifting weights I could probably run 50-60 and lose 10-15 pounds, and set some fairly ambitious goals after getting the mileage in...though I think some of the time will get sacrificed when the kid comes anyway. 

Those who have been pulling some heavy mileage for many months would probably be able to push down their mile bests by temporarily dropping to low mileage with speed, but that is not a permanent optimal solution for them because if they stay really low for too long their 5K/10K/marathon will begin to suffer.

To run a 6 minute mile the average runner should run a 5k in 20:47 according to the McMillan running calculator.

I want to get in sub 21 shape for the 5k by late October and it is more agreeable to me to  track progress with the mile run then by doing a bunch of easy miles with no time trials. My goal is October 31 so I am easing into this sub 6 in a conservative fashion.

I knew I could not run a 6 minute mile yesterday. Had I gone out in 1:30 on the opening lap I would have died a slow death and crawled to the finish closer to 7 minutes. I was just going for a hard effort to get an initial outdoor mile time. 6 minutes 23 seconds. I was pleased with this. I agree with you next time I need to get out faster. I really feel I can bury the last 200 meters in the mile. If I am behind by 4 seconds in pace at that point the sub 6 will be within my grasp.

Amores asked what my warmup was like. I did 1.6 miles mostly easy. A couple fast striders but nothing as fast as my mile pace would be.

I will need to change that up a little for sure to get out faster. I weigh in at a slim 139 pounds as of last night which is almost the lightest I have been in the past 20 years. I think that may work to my advantage in floating around the track.

If you can't run a 6min mile (yet) your effort should not feel conservative, even in the early laps.  So, you may want to practice running 90 second 400s to get the feel for the effort required in the 1st lap.  Once you are comfortable with that add in 800s and maybe the odd 1200 here and there.   Jog at least 1 mile for warm-up with some strides.   Sorry if this was already stated - I'm too lazy to examine every post.

Combine the track practice with more easy miles (broken record) and you should start to see improvements come October.  

Some may snicker at this but I want to get a base in before I do some fast work.

I know my low mileage is not much base - yet.

And I don't consider my mile effort yesterday fast stuff. It is barely faster than my 5k pace so felt fairly comfortable most of the effort.

I need to develop a feel for the mile pace. Right now I need to get in the comfort of running hard and realizing that I will not burn out

on the 3rd or 4th laps.

I would like to do some 200 and 400 repeats. That should help me out a great deal.

I suppose I am guilty of trying to knock off the sub 6 at 11:59 pm on Halloween as this makes for a more exciting storyline.

But the 6:23 yesterday knocked some sense into me that I am not as close as I initially thought.

xor

>> And I don't consider the mile fast stuff. It is barely faster than my 5k pace.

Oh dear.

Some may snicker at this but I want to get a base in before I do some fast work.

I know my low mileage is not much base - yet.

And I don't consider my mile effort yesterday fast stuff. It is barely faster than my 5k pace so felt fairly comfortable most of the effort.

I need to develop a feel for the mile pace. Right now I need to get in the comfort of running hard and realizing that I will not burn out

on the 3rd or 4th laps.

I would like to do some 200 and 400 repeats. That should help me out a great deal.

I suppose I am guilty of trying to knock off the sub 6 at 11:59 pm on Halloween as this makes for a more exciting storyline.

But the 6:23 yesterday knocked some sense into me that I am not as close as I initially thought.

I've stayed out of this but... are you trying to make no sense?

1.  I want to get in a base before fast work

2.  I need to develop a feel for the mile pace

3.  I would like to do some 200 and 400 repeats

#2 and #3 are the opposite of #1.  why don't you just run more and be done with it.