Jerk at the gym (Read 2908 times)

Last night I'm at the gym, alternating between sets of pull-ups and ab work. The pull-up bar is on the cable machine, which is always popular. So while I'm doing a set of abs (on the floor next to the cable machine) this guy comes over & starts using the cable machine without asking if he could work-in or anything. I don't think I've ever told somebody they couldn't work in with me, but I think it's common courtesy to ask. Fine, maybe he thought I'd finished with the machine, whatever. But then when I was ready to do my next set of pull-ups, he was resting between his sets, standing under the pull-up bar, so I asked him if I could work-in a quick set. To which his response was neither yes nor no, just a snicker. Well I decided to take that as a yes, grabbed the bar & started doing my pull-ups. It didn't really bother me, but I have to admit I was kind of amazed at the rudeness. I hadn't seen this guy at the gym before, but he definitely works out, he looked to be about 25 years old, 6'3", with a very athletic build. But that doesn't give him the right to act like he owns the place and to disrespect other members. Any ideas on how to deal with someone like that?
      I need a little more background you before I make a recommendation. Cool

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Challenge him to a run and kick his ass...then see who's snickering. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AnneCA

I think you dealt with it exactly right -- take it as a yes and do your stuff. Never mind the assholes. I would give him the benefit of the doubt that he thought you were done in the cable machine area, at least based on the mental image in my head, but, yeah, the snicker non-response is rude as shit. Assuming I was there at my normal time, I might have made a point of chatting up with my regulars, so that he could see that he was on MY turf. That would be kind of childish of me, but not as bad as other forms of territorial marking, like not wiping down a machine if he was waiting for it after me.
            Dumbbell upside the head? Oh sorry, I meant "kill him with kindness"...
            "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dumbbell upside the head? Oh sorry, I meant "kill him with kindness"...
              When did they start calling dumbells "kindness"...? Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You already KNOW what he is...a JERK! It seems that he excercises his body, but has neglected his mind and personality. He probably also thinks he is god's gift to the world. Ignore him like a bug...it will drive him mad....trust me...I was clinically diagnosed a JERK by a Pysch Dr. once...now my boss tells me I have good people skills...go figure....

this is why I run....

tell him YOU were just about finished with the machine and HE can work in with you IF he wants to.
                  runningmn

Sorry to disagree with everyone else, but I think you may be the jerk. You say you were on the ground right next to the machine and often let people work-in while you are working out. What makes you think you can occupy the machine while you are not actually using it? Here's an idea, move away from the machine while your not using it. Then, when your ready to use it, go over and wait your turn. NO, YOUR TIME IS NOT MORE VALUABLE THEN THE REST OF US!
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ask him if he likes monkeys. More importantly, do you like monkeys?
                      JakeKnight

Sorry to disagree with everyone else, but I think you may be the jerk. You say you were on the ground right next to the machine and often let people work-in while you are working out. What makes you think you can occupy the machine while you are not actually using it? Here's an idea, move away from the machine while your not using it. Then, when your ready to use it, go over and wait your turn. NO, YOUR TIME IS NOT MORE VALUABLE THEN THE REST OF US!
                        Your post responding to a post from freakin' Janu-freakin'-ary would have been even better if you'd used even more all caps. MTA: you hate monkeys, don't you? Turtles, too.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Dog-Love

WHen you guys are all in bed, its fun in Alaska to read the forums at night and mostly I don't respond, but I just want to say that I LOVE TURTLES AND MONKEYS. And I never snicker when someone asks me a question. What kind of answer is that!
                          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                          JakeKnight

WHen you guys are all in bed, its fun in Alaska to read the forums at night and mostly I don't respond, but I just want to say that I LOVE TURTLES AND MONKEYS. And I never snicker when someone asks me a question. What kind of answer is that!
                            I like crabs. And crab people.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Dog-Love

You are beyond WEIRD (note the CAPS). Look like crabs talk like people! Pinch the ones who are jerks at the gym. Crabs, Turtles, and Monkeys...its a zoo in here
                              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                                I would call it a misunderstanding. After all, if you're not on the machine, it looks open to someone else. He didn't have to give you the snicker routine, though. That was rude. Put him on the list and let life take care of him. Ed