vegetarian (Read 989 times)

hi - i'm running/biking - i wonder if i supply myself with enough nutrition since i'm a vegetarian? - is there any particular food that anybody would recommend as an excellent source of protein, beside the usual 'beans,nuts,eggs,cheese'? - thanks week later so there are no vegetarians amongs you? - oh, how sad?! - or nobody wants to share the great secret with me?! (that must be it...)
    Strider

Have you tried the soy based protein shakes? I'm not a vegitarian and I usually stick with whey or egg based shakes but have tried some soy products. Miso soup is a good (I believe it's a soy) bean curd based soup. Toss in some tofu and green onions for a nice pick-me-up between meals. I know there are some gel packs and energy drinks out there that have a bit of protein in them but am not sure what kind they use. It sounds like you're not a "total" vegitarian and do consume some eggs and dariy. That with the legumes and nuts should provide you all the protein you'll need.
        thanks for the tips - soy, tofu - yes - i try not to eat too much of that - i'm a pure vegetarian, not a vegan - vegan's don't do dairy, eggs, etc. i probably do get enough protein, it's just that sometimes i feel like i'm running out of steam! - like i don't have enough energy to run/bike?
        Gig

How long have you been vegetarian. I've stopped counting, but it's got to be close to 15 years. The number one question I get from skeptics is how I get my protein. I really don't worry about it. I eat eggs once or twice a week, some cheese but not much, and a lot of vegetables, especially brocoli and raw spinach. I eat some soy based foods, too. And I love beans. But since I started running about two years ago, I haven't increased my protein intake. I eat a lot more carbs, and that does it for me.
            thanks gig - carbs, hm - that sounds interesting - i've been veggie for about 6 years - i do eat a lot of vegetable too - i'll try to increase the carbs, that could be a good point to start! - thanks again for the advice!
            Gig

So, I'm curious. Are there any other vegetarian runners out there?

Princess Cancer Pants

I'm not a vegetarian (far from it, LOL), but are you getting enough iron? That could be one cause for losing steam. Green veggies do have a lot of iron, but without red meat I wonder if it's enough. Maybe try taking an iron supplement and see how that goes. Or even have your PCP do a hematocrit test to see if you have a high enough level in your blood. Anemia can make a person VERY lethargic--something I know from personal experience. HTH, k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

12 Monkeys

I am a vegetarian. I get my proteins from the sources you listed. Lots of egg whites and nuts and beans/soy.
                  Gig

I've heard the iron issue before. I've been anemic since I was a kid, more that 20 (or 30) years ago. When I first gave up meat, the staples of my diet were cheese and chocolate. That wasn't so good for my health, and so I had to start taking iron supplements. Now that I've incorporated some greens into my diet, the anemia is rarely an issue. Every once in a while, I get a slight lethargy feeling. Sometimes I can get rid of it by drinking more water, but I do keep some iron supplements on hand.