GPS uploads and Local-time? (Read 21 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Just got back from the East Coast, which is 1hr different from Chicago.  Uploaded my runs East Coast runs from my garmin via the old upload option.

All the times are now localized to CT, instead of the ET where they were run.  For example, my 5:30ET track workout comes up as 4:40 (CT, I assume).  Not really what I'd want, since I don't care what the time of the run was relative to where I currently am (CT).  I only care what the local time was when I did the run.

Am I doing something wrong?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Just got back from the East Coast, which is 1hr different from Chicago.  Uploaded my runs East Coast runs from my garmin via the old upload option.

All the times are now localized to CT, instead of the ET where they were run.  For example, my 5:30ET track workout comes up as 4:40 (CT, I assume).  Not really what I'd want, since I don't care what the time of the run was relative to where I currently am (CT).  I only care what the local time was when I did the run.

Am I doing something wrong?

This happens to me. I do manual file uploads from my Garmin to laptop via USB. It appears to take the clock settings on the computer rather than what is in the Garmin file. I just changed the time in the workout edit screen, when adding shoe, run type & route.

Dave

eric :)

Hi Jason,

The times in the GPS are in UTC so there's no way that I know to deduce the local time.  The local time is inferred from your local machine's time zone.  It's not great, but I don't see a solution.  BTW, I assume your GPS produces FIT files.  TCX or GPX might have time zone information, depending on how they're generated.

eric Smile

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The times in the GPS are in UTC so there's no way that I know to deduce the local time.  The local time is inferred from your local machine's time zone.  It's not great, but I don't see a solution

Thanks Eric Smile,

Okay, so when the Weather data is pulled, does it take into account UTC and geo-coordinates?  So, the weather is actually correct for the original time, rather than the weather of an hour earlier?  I ask because I suspect my runs were a lot hotter than RA listed them . . . then again, I was miserable on the runs, so it might be exaggerated in my head.

eric :)

Hi Jason,

Times are expressed in UTC so the weather is specific to the coordinates at the exact time.  It is possible that the weather service did not return the correct data, which I've also have seen before.

eric Smile

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

No worries.  It was only about 5F off my memory (which is pretty shoddy).

Thanks.