Anyone dye their shoes? (Read 1192 times)

derek

This may seem like a strange question, but does anyone here dye their shoes some other color than the original shoe color? If so, can you tell me how you do or did it? The shoe I wear comes in silver/blue and orange/grey: New Balance 1061 My last 2 pairs were silver and I decided I wanted a change, but it's hard to find the orange version (I can find it one place online). On my way back from a New Balance store to look for the shoe, I thought about dying it and was wondering if it's possible. If so, then I can actually get any color I wanted. It would be nice to have a florescent color for running in the dark. I had an old pair and I colored it in with a permanent red sharpie. It looks good, but I'm wondering how resistant it'll be to sweat, water, mud, etc over time.

Derek

You want to dye your shoes? Surprised I can't imagine this would be a good idea - it might cause additional wear on your shoes and make the mesh part less breathable Confused No idea - did you try and google it? sounds costly too - can you just buy the shoe online?
        If your actual goal is to increase low-light visibility, would it be easier to buy the reflective velcro bands that you put on your ankles?

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Derek, I found this link for you. Dye away!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I wear this shoe: Why would I ever want to dye it?
              Why would I ever want to dye it?
              Because you CAN!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That shoe and this one should have baby shoes: (the true color of that shoe is MUCH more intense than the photo would suggest, too). Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That shoe and this one should have baby shoes: (the true color of that shoe is MUCH more intense than the photo would suggest, too).
                  Blue+Yellow = Green so maybe something like this?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Blue+Yellow = Green so maybe something like this?
                    Dood...I wish I had a reason to need track spikes--those are AWESOME!! Who says NB only makes dull, boring shoes?! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

All running shoes are dull and boring.

Runners run

Mishka-old log

I dye mine. With mud. As soon as possible. I can't stand the look of gleaming-white, spanking-new shoes.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I dye mine. With mud. As soon as possible. I can't stand the look of gleaming-white, spanking-new shoes.
                          That's why I love that my favorite shoe comes in 2 different grey models. They never look virginal and sparkly and even when I retire them they don't look all that different than they did out of the box. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Have you looked into reflectors? I purchased some inch wide reflective anklets from Academy in Arlington that worked well for me. (I have not been run over so far! Tongue) I also got a Nike strobe light arm band, but it is not comfortable. Larger fabric stores probably have reflecting material you could patch on to your clothes. Might not be an issue for you, but RIT dye, which can be picked up at Michaels, BLEEDS.

Vim

derek

I actually colored a pair using fabric dye markers. It allowed me to color in just the parts I wanted. It has worked out well and so far, the color hasn't run or rubbed off on anything like the laces. I saw the link where someone dyed their shoes purple but that involved dunking it in boiling water and resulted in the shoe shrinking....I'm not prepared to do that. BTW, I also tried using a Sharpie on an older pair, but that ended up rubbing off on the laces.

Derek

derek

I can't imagine this would be a good idea - it might cause additional wear on your shoes and make the mesh part less breathable Confused
                                Based on how I colored the shoes...using a fabric dye marker, I'm not clogging or blocking any of the ventilation.

Derek