Evening Races (Read 111 times)

Julia1971

There may have been a thread on this but I couldn't find one.  I'm doing a couple of evening races this summer. Would you prep any differently for an evening race vs. morning? For example, I'm running a 5K in 2.5 hours. Normally, I'd have a meal 2-3 hours before a race but that would be on an empty stomach. I've had lunch so am not sure I need to eat a real meal. Maybe a snack? Some water? I haven't run a 5K in a while and am probably freaking out. It's going to hurt, isn't it?

Walk-Jogger

I don't usually eat anything substantial within 3-4 hours of a 5K; I run them hard and my lungs need all the room they can get to expand fully for maximum O2 uptake. So my stomach has to be completely empty. Since it's only 5K, you will not be in any danger of running out of gas during the race, especially since you've had lunch. I find  I tend to run much better in the evening and my 5K PR last year by 20+ seconds was at an evening race. To me a well-run 5K is hard,  but it doesn't hurt any more than I make it hurt. You are in full control of how hard you run it. It will never hurt anymore than you make it, and you can throttle back at any time you want. Sometime just knowing that is enough to help you keep going at full speed for just a little longer.

Retired &  Loving It

Love an evening 5k. I do a little different prep. Usually an easy (like super duper easy) 3 at lunchtime if I can. Afternoon snack 2-3 hours before (like granola bar or most of a snickers bar or something). Maybe a little gatorade. Some water. Then just same prerace warmup as a morning race.

Don't freak out. It's just racing. Sure it might hurt, but only for a little while...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        Slo

I do a few evening races. Generally I will have a snack 2-3 hours out and hope like hell there is food around afterwards.

You're an experienced runner so I'm sure you'll make wise choices. If the 5k doesn't hurt then you weren't doing it right!

Good Luck!

Ojo

I am doing an evening 50 mile race and I have no idea what to do during the day!  I normally eat pizza the night before and am good to go in the morning.  This should be interesting in so many ways.  Smile

Sara

MM #2929

Julia1971

I decided to eat some Fig Newtons about 1.5 hours out from the race.  I was okay.  I felt it a little but not bad.  But, since the guy running next to me puked at Mile 2 and Mile 2.5, I think meal timing might be an issue for some.  (Yes, I'm upset he caught up with me after puking).

The other thing I noticed was that my shoes were bothering me.  I'm guessing my feet were more swollen later in the day than earlier.  So, I kept fiddling with my lock laces but they never quite felt comfortable.

Final thing was sunglasses vs. no sunglasses.  I wore mine but towards the end of the race, I think they made things too dark.  I put them on my visor (I usually wear both) but I could have done without them all together.  Well, except for bugs.  I like sunglasses to block bugs flying into my eyes.

Thanks for the tips and advice!

SMART Approach

Eating 90 minutes before probably did not hurt you but may not have helped especially for a 5K. The closer you get to the race and eating the more you risk feeling sluggish. If you are going to wait to 90 minutes before, I would eat a gel. You are at a point where your blood sugar should stabilize in time for the gun.  2 hours is minimum for me but I prefer 3 hours before and generally very light or gels as they digest so easy. I did a 5K last Friday at night and ate lunch (not too heavy) at 12:30pm and race was 6:00pm. I felt phenomenal, light on my feet and ran fastest 5K in 5 years. I still can't believe it as my miles are down this year, no tempo or speed work because of hammy issues, very slow long runs on weekends because of snow/rain.......I honestly cannot make sense of it. Maybe it was the night run????

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Julia1971

Yeah, I don't think it helped me.  I think I was just hungry.  Smile  I'll have a bigger lunch next time...  I should have packed my lunch.  I ended up having the "protein pack" meal from Starbucks which is just some soda-type bread, peanut butter, an egg, some cheese, some fruit - not enough food.

Congrats on the fast time last week.  I've had good race results at night, too.  (Set a PR last night).  I wonder if it's because the body is sharper later in the day?

Eating 90 minutes before probably did not hurt you but may not have helped especially for a 5K. The closer you get to the race and eating the more you risk feeling sluggish. If you are going to wait to 90 minutes before, I would eat a gel. You are at a point where your blood sugar should stabilize in time for the gun.  2 hours is minimum for me but I prefer 3 hours before and generally very light or gels as they digest so easy. I did a 5K last Friday at night and ate lunch (not too heavy) at 12:30pm and race was 6:00pm. I felt phenomenal, light on my feet and ran fastest 5K in 5 years. I still can't believe it as my miles are down this year, no tempo or speed work because of hammy issues, very slow long runs on weekends because of snow/rain.......I honestly cannot make sense of it. Maybe it was the night run????

Docket_Rocket

I run at the same time as your races, so I usually don't eat before I run, but I would suggest a snack.  I do cereal and soy milk, or a smoothie, which is what I do when I'm doing my MLRs.

And congrats on the PR, Julia!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I don't usually eat anything substantial within 3-4 hours of a 5K;

+1 to that.  Eating anything prior to a 5K would usually only be detrimental.  The body has plenty of stored energy for a 5K.   Just need to make certain you don't eat anything a few hours before. :-)  Maybe a cup of coffee about 1.5 hours before the race, that'll provide some nice energy for the race.  (But only if you like coffeee Smile ).

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

SMART Approach

+1 to that.  Eating anything prior to a 5K would usually only be detrimental.  The body has plenty of stored energy for a 5K.   Just need to make certain you don't eat anything a few hours before. :-)  Maybe a cup of coffee about 1.5 hours before the race, that'll provide some nice energy for the race.  (But only if you like coffeee Smile ).

They now have those breath mint strips you can put on your tongue and let dissolve. 50 mg per strip. I took 3 before my last race. Good stuff.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com