Training Diet Question (Read 188 times)

carl winslow

Hi guys,

I have been running about 7-8 miles every day since dec.1 2019. i am very good at sticking to a schedule to run but i think my poor diet is making this hard. I am good at sticking to a diet if i know one. does anyone know of general diet schedules like wake up drink coffee, bottle of water and oatmeal and a banana. run. after drink another water eat granola bar. for lunch eat........i am looking for optimal diet to use to optimize my running every other day.i would also like to get more exact like for male 167lb how many calories i need to fuel my run but not exceed so eat too much.

I hope this is the correct place to post this i am new. thanks for all the help!

bioguy

Sounds Ike you are eating too many carbs.

Christirei

why don't you check out Matt Fitzgerald's Endurance Diet? its a good book and a good place to start, adjust as you need to

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Another book by Matt Fitzgerald worth reading is ‘Racing Weight’  (there might be a more updated version of the link below)

https://www.amazon.com/Racing-Weight-Lean-Peak-Performance/dp/1934030511/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=racing+weight&qid=1578836208&sr=8-4

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Sounds Ike you are eating too many carbs.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Carbs are absolutely essential for high end aerobic performance.

GinnyinPA

Carl - in order to figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight and fuel your runs, try tracking on MyFitnessPal. Enter your age, height, weight and activity level and it will tell you how many calories you need. Log your runs on the days you run and it will tell you how many extra calories you need. If you log your foods, it will also break down your diet into protein, fats, carbs, etc. and you can figure out whether you need more or less protein, carbs, etc.

I think you should start with a baseline diet and tinker with it as you go. I run every day but only a short distance 4 miles most days and 6.55 miles once a week (30 mpw). My diet consists of breakfast : 2 w/w toast, 1/2 avocado 4 slices of cheese, 8 slices of tomato, 1 orange, 1 banana, 1 pear, 1 bran muffin, a dozen almonds and 4 oz of mango juice. Lunch is a large bowl of soup with crackers 30 oz. of coffee. Supper is a salad, a portion of chicken, beef, pork, bison, fish, a vegetable, mebbe a pint (yes beer) and desert. I have a pasta supper once a week. Fish once or twice a week.  repeat. It works for me... been workin for years but remember, your metabolism has a role to play in maintaining a stable weight.

Luciplay

I agree with most, Matt Fitzgerald has some good diet options.

EllieSparks

I am not a nutritionist, and I can't help you with this question. You should get in touch with a professional in this field, and I am sure you will find an answer to any of your questions asked. When I started to lose weight, I bought a smart scale from https://www.vont.com/product/smart-scale-bathroom-scale-weight-scale/ , and I tracked my progress every day after the gym. The smart scale allowed me to compare each data recorded on my scale since I bought it two years ago.

Jogger bobby

What is your goal? What's wrong with your current diet?

Born: 1973

Marathon PR: 3:44 (2000)

5k PR: 22:02 (2022)

1 mile PR: 6:09 (2022)

Goals:

5k - 21:42

Mile - 5:59

400m - 1:10