Blockbuster vs. Netflix (Read 722 times)

We have Netflix and just watched half of a movie before it started pausing. This has happened several times in the past few months. Thsi time I had to turn the machine off to get back to the menu. From there we skipped the bad part and watched the end. Anybody have Blockbusters mail-in service? If so, any troubles?

All business

We watch a lot of movies. Maybe 3 or 4 times in the last couple years have we got a movie that didn't work properly. We used netflix for years with no problem. Switched to Blockbuster to take advantage of the trade-in policy they had (bring in the movie they sent you, and trade it for another). It increased the amount of movies we got per month. Then they but a cap on our trade-in's, I think it turned to 3 per month. I told them where they could put that, and we switched back to netflix the same night. It was fine by me, as i hate going to the video store and looking around for something. Also the store that's closest to our place wasn't all that big. Still digging netflix. Now they have the download feature too. It's actually pretty cool (we have a nice big monitor), and is best for tv series discs that run 30 mins at a time. my two cent, C

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The new Apple TV. Buy a box. Don't need a computer. No subscription fees. At all. Want a movie, just press a button and watch it. Right away. No waiting.
        JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

We have Netflix and just watched half of a movie before it started pausing. This has happened several times in the past few months. Thsi time I had to turn the machine off to get back to the menu. From there we skipped the bad part and watched the end. Anybody have Blockbusters mail-in service? If so, any troubles?
          send it back with a note attached and they'll send you a better copy OR get on the web to report it and they'll help you even faster....I love netflix over Blockbuster... Yes, Trent, and apple TV would be the best! Wink
          "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
          obiebyke

I hear Blockbuster censors their movie selections. Netflix has almost everything. I hear their labor practices aren't great, but I'm willing to bet that Blockbuster isn't the employee of the year, either. In short, love Netflix. I'll love 'em even more when the on demand feature includes Mac users.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Anybody have Blockbusters mail-in service? If so, any troubles?
              Personally have never used either service directly (indirectly... I borrow the movie after they watch it then return it!), but have family and friends who have used both. I think you are going to have skip issues every so often. Some DVD players are better than others at this issue. Most people I know who use these subscription model video rental services aggressively rip the DVD before they watch them, which usually gets over the scratching issues. One individual I know has a blockbuster video plan they've grandfathered into at 12.99... they can have one video at a time.. return it and get another one from the store while they wait for another one to be mail. On a good week, they 'll watch 4 movies. Netflix if you are a new subscriber these days is a better deal in my opinion. -More Titles (This could be a con though!) -Bluray and HD movies -Online Movies -$18 back from fatwallet.com cashback Alternatives to Netflix and Blockbuster: -Apple TV and not as well known content distribution boxes -Xbox360 (supposely) -Interlibrary Loan Programs (if you are patient) -Texshare -FTP/Filesharing sites/P2P networks/Buddies who have NetFlix/Blockbuster who'll let you freeload Cool -DirectTV/Disk Network PPV -TIVO -Cable Networks with Ondemand movies and PPV modal

Vim

I hear Blockbuster censors their movie selections. Netflix has almost everything. I hear their labor practices aren't great, but I'm willing to bet that Blockbuster isn't the employee of the year, either. In short, love Netflix. I'll love 'em even more when the on demand feature includes Mac users.
                They both censor movie selections. My experience in the SF bay area is they really don't censor much.

Vim

Netflix for me. I've been with them since 2002, rented hundreds of movies and have had no problems, save maybe 2 damaged disks. I chose them at the time because they were a true alternative to Blockbuster & stores in general, and I thought it was a brilliant model. I love movies and hated renting them at the stores. Hve not used Blockbuster since they switched to online. My have has used the stores for impulse rentals when she doesn't like my current selection.
                    I have Blockbuster and am pretty satisfied. The entire reason for using BB over Netflix for me is because of their trade-in policy and because I have a store very close to my work so it's convenient. The updated pricing meant no more unlimited trade-ins (we are currently on the 5 free trade-ins per month) and that is working well. I've never had Netflix and understand they have free movie downloads to your PC as an answer to the trade-in policy of BB. I also think Netflix has a larger library of movies but we've never had much of an issue with filling our queue with available titles. Very rarely a movie will come that is either mislabeled or scratched and they always send a replacement and give a free coupon for an in-store rental. Seems fair.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

I did just read that Netflix will be offering an on-demand service with a set-top box built by LG. Sounds similar to the Apple TV thing mentioned by trent. Locally we have some cable providers offering on-damend, but I don't know if its the full catalog.