The Mile (Read 589 times)

kcam

Hearty Congratulations!  Not surprised at all when looking at the work you've put in this year.

bap

4:59.7

By the proverbial skin of the teeth, on a somewhat warm and breezy evening.

Well, it actually felt a lot better than my 5:05 tryout a couple of weeks ago, and I won the race (don't be terribly impressed, it was all codgers age 45-49), but I'm also a little disappointed.  Ran fully 8 seconds faster 1 year ago.  8 seconds.  And I don't feel like I'm that much less fit than last year, if any, but sure am having a harder time finding my fast gears.  But, of course, I am very very thankful to have the health and ability to run this well at my age, and I must keep that in perspective.  As I was telling my sons the other day, I am the youngest 47 year old that I know -- and running is a LOT to credit for that.

Superb!  That would have got you 9th/244 in AG in The Fifth Avenue Mile, arguably the most competitive age grouper road mile in the country.

Certified Running Coach
      Crocked since 2013

Feeling the growl again

Running a straight road mile tomorrow...criminy, I haven't run a 1:15 quarter in months as I've been base/marathon training.  This is going to hurt.

The last timed mile I ran was 4:53 a year and a half ago....hoping for 4:55.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Joann Y

Running a straight road mile tomorrow...criminy, I haven't run a 1:15 quarter in months as I've been base/marathon training.  This is going to hurt.

yes! kill it man!

Just a dude.

Your recent results show you are in great shape endurance wise. But I bet you are right. it will probably hurt.

I've got a road mile coming up July 4, so you can remind me what to expect...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

joescott

as I've been base/marathon training.  This is going to hurt.

I predict 4:45.  Smoke it, bro!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

I predict 4:45.  Smoke it, bro!

You underestimate the suckage of my speed.

Just to get some turnover I went to the track this morning and did 2X400 and an 800 with full recovery.  Not hard to run a 72 and a 73.  But the second lap of a 2:32 800 felt awful.

This race is going to validate my decision to focus on getting my speed 5K and under back before returning to focus on longer race in the fall and spring 2015.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Oh crap. That's tonight? Can I cram like I did for semester finals? If not there is doom on the horizon for me today.

Its great to run with no expectations. So free.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Oh crap. That's tonight? Can I cram like I did for semester finals? If not there is doom on the horizon for me today.

too funny!

Walk-Jogger

Monumental Mile, was live HERE

But it's over now.

Retired &  Loving It

Just a dude.

Which is Spaniel in?

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Walk-Jogger

Which is Spaniel in?

-Kelly

I think he was in the men's open at 6:40, so he should have finished about 6:45 EDT, but they didn't show the finish. The coverage is not the best.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

5:01, 72-77-77-75.  A good (for me) kick, I just held it back a bit too long.  Typical slow-twitcher mile, felt like running through molasses and I couldn't run hard enough to hurt myself.  It's been a rotten week overall so I'm not particularly concerned about it....summer track series is starting and I'll be faster shortly.

C-R

5:34 for me. No clue how anyone could mess with a watch to get splits during the painfest. I'm pretty sure it would have ended badly if I tried.

Can't wait for next weeks All Comers track meets to do it again.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

No clue how anyone could mess with a watch to get splits during the painfest.

A quick glance passing the posts.....I did the math later.  Smile

I hope to be 4:50 by the last all comer's in July.  Time for some pain during the lunchtime track workouts.

Oh, and FFS.  So they ran heats (by sex and age) 10 minutes apart.  So if you were ~14-15min or slower for a mile, the next wave was going to catch you.

The open women went before us.  As I'm coming into the last 300 yards or so and winding into my kick, I see this not-in-shape woman in front of me slowly making her way to the finish.  OK hey, glad she's out there.  Then right as me and another guy are about to split and go around her on each side, her two preschoolers...who had been directly in front of her out of view...shot out to each side....ON KID LEASHES.  Forget my negative opinion on those to begin with, she nearly tripped us both up at the knees and we barely avoided steamrolling her kids.