Cold before HM. (Read 648 times)

Jeffrey

I am working on my 3rd cold for 2007. Our 3 year old is the culprit. Smile Friends have told me to expect to get sick at least 6 times this year on account of the wee-one. I am on-track for at least that many! My HM is Sunday May 6, which is 2 weeks away. I want to let the cold run its course before I start to run/train again. I'd prefer not to feel cold-ish on race-day. I am taking these three things: Emergen-C, Zicam dissolve tabs and Contac Cold meds. Does anyone have any other OTC secrets?
    shyrunner07

when i am sick, a hot shower or bath seems to do the trick most of the time....something about the heat or the steam- it loosens up the crud and drop kicks it on its arse! Tongue By the next morning, the general malaise has passed (though i might still be a little stuffy or whatnot). gotta love kids! mine wasn't so bad until she started going to daycare/preschool...then it seemed like she was bringing home every bug imaginable! Dead hope you are feeling better soon! Good luck on the half!

Now that was a bath...

Does that mean with four kids I can expect 24? Tongue Vitamin C and odorless garlic capsules are great for keeping colds at bay. Or so my husband tells me when he necks his tablets every morning. Most importantly though I hope that you recover in plenty of time before your HM. Good luck with the race! Claire xxx
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A true cold lasts about a week. May 6 is more than a week away Wink Just get your rest. You will get better (or not) regardless of what you take. It is out of your hands, so rest, drink and keep well fed. It is the best we have.
          Jeffrey

24, minimum! Smile My problem: I can't stop hugging my kid even though she's got a cold bug! Big grin
            Does that mean with four kids I can expect 24? Tongue
            Jeffrey

Thanks for the positive comments about the race. Having a cold just means I need to figure out a strategy; adds a twist to the monotonous running routine, right? I started running too early after cold.2 ... so I will resist the temptation to run with cold.3 and rest for 1-2 more days. I need to remind myself that most of my conditioning is complete. I will just need to do some maintenance later this week and figure out an intelligent taper. Smile
                ugghhhhhhhhhhh woke up with a stuffy nose and sore throat yesterday and it's still here plus a drippy nose Sad Tomorrow's race oughta be fun Black eye especially since I'm going to be racing my ass off (not to win but to pb)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Leave a cold alone and you are over it in 14 days. Treat it and you are over it in 2 weeks. I just got over mine. At teh end of it I did some runing and found that my nose cleared up and my caugh departed forthe run and about 4 hours after. Not sure why that happens

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Jeffrey

Oh. No! Not a big deal. You put a ton of work into your preparation. Medicate yourself to feel better, don't stress about the cold's impact on your conditioning and run that race! I am sure you will do a PB regardless! Smile Good luck!
                    ugghhhhhhhhhhh woke up with a stuffy nose and sore throat
                      Thanks Jeffrey I sure hope so. Took the kids down to the expo this afternoon despite feeling like crap and watched them do their very first race. Dh and I had planned on eating out, but due to how I'm feeling looks like a dh will be cooking dinner and I'll be going to bed ASAP. Modified to add just took some Sudaffed PE (the strip stuff and OMG TALK ABOUT NASTY Dead ) Oh and dh is ordering dinner from Carrabba's (not that I have much of an appetite). I now know who to blame for my condition. Inlaws came to pick kids up and Father Inlaw started getting sick Tuesday (they had the kids last weekend).

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson