I'm back to running (Read 95 times)

Mr MattM

I'm going to try for the highly coveted 'Comeback runner of the year' award...

be curious; not judgmental

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I may challenge you for that.

2017 D3 50K - 7:46:24

2018 D3 50K - 10:52:31

2019 D3 50K - 7:25:43

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mr MattM

You win.    Though I doubt you were ever really out of running.  

Nice 50k... and quite the schedule you've got coming up!  I'll just be happy to get back to 70mpw and get another marathon under my belt.

I may challenge you for that.

2017 D3 50K - 7:46:24

2018 D3 50K - 10:52:31

2019 D3 50K - 7:25:43

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You win.    Though I doubt you were ever really out of running.  

Nice 50k... and quite the schedule you've got coming up!  I'll just be happy to get back to 70mpw and get another marathon under my belt.

To make a long story short, I fainted a few hours after the 2018 50K and when the EMTs checked me out, they found I had a-fib, which really played havoc with my training and was undoubtedly a big factor in the very slow time.  Treatment fixed everything and I've been building back ever since.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Mr MattM

I had no idea, WCR.  I've been out a long time.  Glad you are doing well and it was something treatable!

I passed out after a 50k years ago in Fort Worth (El Scorcho)... was almost forced to the ER but escaped by barely passing a 'tilt test' in the ambulance.  Looks like you're doing quite well now... and loving the longer distances!

To make a long story short, I fainted a few hours after the 2018 50K and when the EMTs checked me out, they found I had a-fib, which really played havoc with my training and was undoubtedly a big factor in the very slow time.  Treatment fixed everything and I've been building back ever since.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I had no idea, WCR.  I've been out a long time.  Glad you are doing well and it was something treatable!

I passed out after a 50k years ago in Fort Worth (El Scorcho)... was almost forced to the ER but escaped by barely passing a 'tilt test' in the ambulance.  Looks like you're doing quite well now... and loving the longer distances!

It wasn't an easy transition from middle distance to ultras, but the more I run them, the more I grow to enjoy them, especially the fixed time races where I don't have to worry about cutoff times. I'm often the oldest runner in the race now, so I count it a success when I'm not DFL.  Since ultras aren't as common as 5Ks, I use them as an excuse to travel all over the US and Canada.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Village people

Oh, wow! I am so glad that you are okay.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mr MattM has had more comebacks than Frank Sinatra. 🤓

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mr MattM

#Truth

Mr MattM has had more comebacks than Frank Sinatra. 🤓

Mr MattM

I think that's awesome.

It wasn't an easy transition from middle distance to ultras, but the more I run them, the more I grow to enjoy them, especially the fixed time races where I don't have to worry about cutoff times. I'm often the oldest runner in the race now, so I count it a success when I'm not DFL.  Since ultras aren't as common as 5Ks, I use them as an excuse to travel all over the US and Canada.