Women's Winter Running Tights for single digit (or negative!) temps (Read 182 times)

danyelli

Help!  My legs are freezing when I run outdoors when the temp is under 20 degrees.  Can anyone recommend their favorite heavy duty women's running tights that can really stand up to the cold?  I am 5'9 so preferably something with a longer cut!

Or, if tights really just don't cut it when it's this cold, what pants should I be wearing over the tights?  I want to keep it as streamlined as possible.

Also, if anyone has any glove recommendations I'm all ears.  I have a pair of mittens I wear when it's this cold (negative 10 in Chicago today, yikes) but would far prefer a glove over a mitten.  I just can't find anything that's warm enough that doesn't make me feel like I'm going out to play in the snow vs. going on a long run.

Joann Y

Sugoi tights

Kalsarikännit

I am 5'9 so preferably something with a longer cut!

Hahahahalololol.  Women's tights are made for the 4'10"ers.  On the plus side, you can rock them as capris if you are one of those people who are willing to go out in public in capris.

Find men's tights that are long and lean.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Joann Y

Hahahahalololol.  Women's tights are made for the 4'10"ers.  On the plus side, you can rock them as capris if you are one of those people who are willing to go out in public in capris.

I could see that. I'm 5'5" and the tights are never quite long enough. I don't think they are accounting for my generous Polish thighs taking up a good amount of the material away from my ankles.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The warmest tights I've found without windblock panels are the Sugoi Sub-zeros.  They're really durable, too.  Maybe not the longest, though.  Under Armour Cold Gear tights come in longer lengths, but they're not quite as warm as the Sugois.  I find the UAs to be inadequate under 20 or so, at least with any wind.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have thermal long johns that I wear under my running tights.

an amazing likeness

It takes both tights and pants to deal with the real cold temps.  Sugoi and Sporthill are the best I've used in terms of quality and durability, and great selection to cover the temp ranges.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

^^^ WRIGS, what up? Hey quick question. My chick is a 6 footer with a 34 in. inseam and I'm  having a hell of time finding a mid weight capilene for her, a womens specific capilene that is long enogh. She says the rise isn't quite right on the mens stuff and the crotch is lil' funky, which I get. I need some HALP, i'll check back on Monday, off to the White mountains of NH this weekend.

The warmest tights I've found without windblock panels are the Sugoi Sub-zeros.  They're really durable, too.  Maybe not the longest, though.  Under Armour Cold Gear tights come in longer lengths, but they're not quite as warm as the Sugois.  I find the UAs to be inadequate under 20 or so, at least with any wind.

^^^just saw this, I'll check  the length, they are going to go under a pair of soft shell pants.

Dreamn

I think that the coldest temperature that I've ever run in was 10F but I'm 5'10'' so I understand the troubles of finding long tights.  I buy from Athleta (when they have a sale).  The quality is good enough for me and they have Tall sizes.  Check our their PolarTec Tight.

The Sugoi tights that I have are definitely warm but super short.  I don't reach for them on the coldest days.

Sweet, thanks...I was thinking about power stretch too. I  have 3-4 pairs of them and she'll prolly just need to use mine until I can find what I'm lookin' for.

kilkee

runktrun

I could see that. I'm 5'5" and the tights are never quite long enough. I don't think they are accounting for my generous Polish thighs taking up a good amount of the material away from my ankles.

I thought they were Irish thighs?

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Joann Y

Could be. I'm Irish/Polish. Or they are just beer thighs.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think there's a song about Irish Thighs...

kilkee

runktrun

Mine are generally not smiling...

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.