2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

CalBears

Application week is getting closer and still no word from the BAA about a 2021 race. I think cal is right and I'll just need to cancel my trip. Maybe I'll wait until the latest I can and take a trip somewhere else. If 2021 doesn't happen I'll probably give up on running Boston.

You do not need to cancel anything - just plan another trip at a different time . Though I am pretty sure at this point Boston 2021 is not happening, at least not in April, but hope dies last and so, as we say in my Motherland - think about the best case scenario but prepare for the worst - this approach works 100% 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

You do not need to cancel anything - just plan another trip at a different time . Though I am pretty sure at this point Boston 2021 is not happening, at least not in April, but hope dies last and so, as we say in my Motherland - think about the best case scenario but prepare for the worst - this approach works 100% 

I’m strongly considering CIM 2020 as something to train for and get back into shape for Boston 2021. Of there won’t be a Boston 2021 I’d like to have another qualifier.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Application week is getting closer and still no word from the BAA about a 2021 race. I think cal is right and I'll just need to cancel my trip. Maybe I'll wait until the latest I can and take a trip somewhere else. If 2021 doesn't happen I'll probably give up on running Boston.

Well you could always take a break from running and then try again when you get to the 50-54 AG category as running a 3:25 isn’t that difficult. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well you could always take a break from running and then try again when you get to the 50-54 AG category as running a 3:25 isn’t that difficult. 

I honestly am. Not much left to do after running Boston and with how America treats COVID 19 I might as well pass on the opportunity and say I peaked when I ran a sub 3 marathon. Plenty of other things I can do with my time.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I honestly am. Not much left to do after running Boston and with how America treats COVID 19 I might as well pass on the opportunity and say I peaked when I ran a sub 3 marathon. Plenty of other things I can do with my time.

Yep, if the lack of races/motivation is a problem then focus on other stuff. I’m golfing again and only running 2/3 days per week now which is fine when there is nothing to train for. I’m going to register for Boston next month anyway and hope that everything is magically back to normal by April. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yep, if the lack of races/motivation is a problem then focus on other stuff. I’m golfing again and only running 2/3 days per week now which is fine when there is nothing to train for. I’m going to register for Boston next month anyway and hope that everything is magically back to normal by April. 

I quit golfing back in my teenage years. I might just take up hiking and pass on the whole thing if it doesn't happen in 2021. It's a marathon just like all the other ones. I'll register with the expectation of the race being canceled due to covid 19, and no carryover for my marathon qualifying time for 2021.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Golfed more this summer than the past few years combined. Spoke with a ranger on the course this weekend he said this past Saturday was the most golfers they've ever had in a single day, and they've been in operation for 20 years.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Golfed more this summer than the past few years combined. Spoke with a ranger on the course this weekend he said this past Saturday was the most golfers they've ever had in a single day, and they've been in operation for 20 years.

It’s good endurance training walking for 4 hours on hilly terrain. (I’ve never used a buggy). I shot an 83 last week...and I’m still using my old (non cheater) clubs!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It’s good endurance training walking for 4 hours on hilly terrain. (I’ve never used a buggy). I shot an 83 last week...and I’m still using my old (non cheater) clubs!

Remember that first time you wore the VF and you wondered how you ran before them? You'll feel the same with some new clubs 

Also 83 in your 50s without playing much in the last few years is amazing. Well done.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a33105363/boston-charity-runners-faced-with-fundraising/

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a30063415/boston-marathon-fundraising-requirements/

I thought these were interesting articles. It goes to something Mikkey has pointed out before around the difference in fundraising in the US vs. the London Marathon. I'm a little disturbed if there is any entitlement people feel here, e..g they're upset that they need to raise more money for charity, either in total or a second time for 2021. Then again, the titles may have been a bit click-baity given there wasn't much in there to indicate outrage.

I think it would be different if this was some for-profit organization charging 20K for entry if you couldn't get in via time. However, if the BAA and associated charities raised their minimum fees to 50K and they still filled out the race, how could anyone possibly be upset with that outcome?

CalBears

I shot an 83 last week...and I’m still using my old (non cheater) ...

I thought you ran 83 for 400 meters - which is also not too bad if you don't run those regularly...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Julia1971

It really is.

The origin story for "Runners run" as my sig line goes back to the cheesy 1980's movie Running Brave about the incredible true story of Billy Mills, the Lakota Sioux who grew up poor on a reservation and made it all the way to the Olympic 10,000m gold medal. There's a scene where Billy is going through an existential crisis and tells his coach he can't run right now. The crusty old coach says something like, "An Olympic runner doesn't decide when he can run and when he can't. He runs!"

Apparently it made an impression on me as a 16-year-old high school 400/800 runner. For some reason that stuck in my brain and became a sort of mantra I would use to get myself out the door, even when I took up running again years later as an adult. Over the years it morphed into "A runner runs" and then, finally, the more concise and social "Runners run."

When I was the RD for a local 5k for a decade I used to print "Because runners run" on the pint glasses we used as awards. There are pint glasses with that  tagline in kitchen cabinets of some pretty fast runners all over Eastern Massachusetts and beyond.

So, I finally got around to watching this yesterday.  It was a perfect movie for a lazy Sunday afternoon!  I knew I was in for a treat when I saw Robby Benson was in it!  The story was great but the acting...  that line from the coach was the closest anyone came to displaying an emotion for the entire movie.  And, I can see why it would have been memorable to a young runner.  Thanks for the recommendation!

delicate flower

So for anyone doing the Virtual Boston, what do you have planned for your run?  I'm planning on Sept 12, with a Sept 13 backup if the weather looks better.  I've got a 4.3 mile loop that I will do 6+ times.  My wife is going to man an aid station, and I'll have stuff stashed halfway through the loop as well.  I'll have a few other friends out there, either running, biking, or just hanging out.  I'm shooting for a 7:38 pace, just to say I BQ'd even though it doesn't count, but saying I BQ'd what is essentially a training run sounds like a decent goal.

<3

reneg

So for anyone doing the Virtual Boston, what do you have planned for your run?  I'm planning on Sept 12, with a Sept 13 backup if the weather looks better.  I've got a 4.3 mile loop that I will do 6+ times.  My wife is going to man an aid station, and I'll have stuff stashed halfway through the loop as well.  I'll have a few other friends out there, either running, biking, or just hanging out.  I'm shooting for a 7:38 pace, just to say I BQ'd even though it doesn't count, but saying I BQ'd what is essentially a training run sounds like a decent goal.

Similar plan. I’ll run it on Sunday 13th on a 3.8-mile loop for close to 7 laps. I’ll also have some friends and family members running some stretches with me. No target time as I’ll follow the pace of my different running partners.

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a33105363/boston-charity-runners-faced-with-fundraising/

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a30063415/boston-marathon-fundraising-requirements/

I thought these were interesting articles. It goes to something Mikkey has pointed out before around the difference in fundraising in the US vs. the London Marathon. I'm a little disturbed if there is any entitlement people feel here, e..g they're upset that they need to raise more money for charity, either in total or a second time for 2021. Then again, the titles may have been a bit click-baity given there wasn't much in there to indicate outrage.

I think it would be different if this was some for-profit organization charging 20K for entry if you couldn't get in via time. However, if the BAA and associated charities raised their minimum fees to 50K and they still filled out the race, how could anyone possibly be upset with that outcome?

Qualified runners would have felt entitled had they been told "sorry your race was canceled. Charity runners get to carry over their spots."  You can imagine how much of a hit a charity might take if 10-50% of their operating budget comes from this ONE event.  Most of the charity runners can't get in on time from the documents I've read online. Charity runners are out the money, or were refunded, and their race was canceled whereas the 2018 qualifying time (that didn't apply to run the 2020 race) is now allowed. BAA was screwed either way and should have supported the charity runners over the time qualifiers when they decided to cancel the race.

VDOT 53.37