Standing More / Sitting Less (Read 683 times)

qwerty85

I set a goal after reading the impact of the modern lifestyle on our bodies - especially for running - to sit less.  This means more standing and when I am down, to avoid it being sitting in a chair.  I didn't sit all day before -thankfully, as a stay at home mom, plenty of day to day movement, but figured I could still sit less - can't change driving, but while waiting at lessons or on the computer, etc.

Has anyone else done this? How did it go?  Are there any short term effects (ie, fatigue or pains) I should be on the watch for? 

Sadly, I'm sitting while reading this :-)

Seriously, I've been trying to do more work (computer/desk job) standing up, but people look at me strange. Minimally, it  helps me stay awake.

my wife was having back/sciatic problems & starting using a stabiliy ball whenever using computer in the office & it seemed to help greatly over time.  but, & here where modern technology is not always a good thing, she purchased a lap top & now watches tv & sits on couch while using computer & back problems are returning.  just saying. 

If I drink enough water, I'm up and moving more often (of necessity!) and the muscles are better flushed for the next day.  

If I don't drink water, I sit more and the muscles are not so flushed. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

L Train

Weird that you have to be in motion while drinking water.  I usually spill on myself whan I do that, but then again, I'm clumsy and you are Nader. 

Feeling the growl again

I really noticed a change a year ago when I switched from a position that required 4-5 meetings per day, to one where I could sit in my chair all day more days than not.  I have more issues with sciatic pain, tight hammies and glutes.

I try to get up and go for short walks regularly.  I try to fit in short runs over lunch hour.  This all helps.

We have some treadmills (2mph max) stations around where you can walk while you work...they are in high demand...but I think i would be distracted too much to work efficiently.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

Don't get my started. My hammy issues and training have not been the same since I have been in this sales job the last 7 years with a ton of sitting in car and when not in car sitting in my damn office like I am now. On weekends when on my feet more I recover better from runs and feel good on Monday and then it starts all over again........

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Alex Hutchinson has done a few posts on this subject -- there's a lot of research around it. Here's a recent one:

http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/2012/03/you-cant-outrun-the-health-effects-of-your-desk-job/

I'm not ready to drop big bucks on an adjustable desk, but I try very hard to get up and move around a couple of times an hour. There's little doubt at this point that spending too much time sitting at a desk -- no matter how active you are otherwise -- is a bad idea.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

my wife was having back/sciatic problems & starting using a stabiliy ball whenever using computer in the office & it seemed to help greatly over time.  but, & here where modern technology is not always a good thing, she purchased a lap top & now watches tv & sits on couch while using computer & back problems are returning.  just saying. 

Relevant

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I believe this was posted before, maybe on the infographics thread, but here it is again:

sitting is killing you

Weird that you have to be in motion while drinking water.  I usually spill on myself whan I do that, but then again, I'm clumsy and you are Nader. 

I spill,

While sitting still,

At a desk job,

It's quite a thrill.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus