2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

steve_

powered by plants

Disagree.  Boston apparently gives t-shirts to the top 20 in each age group, and that's one of my goals for the next time I run it.

Please explain how you know what AG place you're in while you're racing.

If you want to say run if for the experience or the fun or the kisses at halfway, I'll buy all those, but no one runs it for place unless they're an elite.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I don't.  The same way I show up at races to compete for Masters Female awards, but I don't know for sure where I've placed until after, when the results are posted.   I try to beat everyone I can, especially if there's someone ahead of me that I know is an over-40 woman, or looks like she might be one.  But I don't know for sure until later.  I was third master female yesterday, and won cash, but I didn't know that for sure until later that day, when the results were posted.  (I was pretty sure I wasn't top female master, since I saw Jen Rhines warming up, though I never saw her during the race.)

[and sometimes I don't know until much later, after bib swapping has been fixed.]

Isn't it the same for you in larger races for male masters stuff?  You know that people are ahead of you in the big races, but not necessarily whether any of them are men over 40, or how many masters men there are ahead of you.

Yesterday's race report.

Good luck Boston marathoners!  I do hope you get some rain during the race - based on my experience on Saturday, it will be a good thing as long as it's not a downpour.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Good luck, Boston runners!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

weatherboy80

Good luck out there everyone.  I sure hope I feel better than I did in my shakeout this morning 🤔 BTW, I’m bib 1575 and will be starting in 1/2.  Remember make sure the start feels controlled!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Have great races!  I shall be tracking from home!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

finbad

I'm 1284. Good luck everyone. Anyone want to meet around 6.20at the buses?

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

finbad

Good racing JT

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

M_M_C

Bib 5530! Best of luck everyone

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Fin - I just told weather on Strava that I’m getting driven to the buses, so my timing will be tough because I’m not staying at the hotels nearby. I’m afraid to commit to a time because of that and make people wait for me, especially given the weather. We can shoot for meeting though if you’re interested, I’ll put my cell on Strava’s run today.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

slingrunner

Limping before the race is probably not a good sign. Anyway bib 5588 here.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Thanks all for the kind words everyone. DW: I wish I had paced that well; something was obviously wrong with the first checkpoint. I recall it being at the half marathon turnaround, which I think was around 6.5 miles, but even for that distance a pace of 6:57 does not make sense. Not sure what the issue was. But as you can see from my strava, my actual splits were more positive than negative. I knew sub 2:50 was out of the question after the half, so just gave it all I could and let the chips fall where they may. I did catch 4 people in the last 10 miles or so, despite my own slowing down. Third marathon in a row with rain the whole race. Hopefully the next one will be nice and dry!

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! Looking forward to tracking and watching on TV.

2:52:16 (2018)

Too bad rachelara and irunforbeer don't post anymore.  They used to get podium age group finishes at Boston.

I think they started near the front, so they could probably keep tabs on their competition to some degree (assuming their competition started near them and used gun time, rather than chip).

ETA: Mikkey's team (Brighton) is in deep shit

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

ETA: Mikkey's team (Brighton) is in deep shit

No need to panic just yet, if they beat Cardiff City on Tuesday then they’ll most likely be safe. If!

AG placement - I ran a half in February and this guy overtook me as we approached the finish line and beat me by 2 seconds, when I looked at the results, he had beaten me into 3rd place and I lost out on a nice new pair of running socks. If I’d known he was in my AG then I’d have stuck a foot out and tripped him up.

JT - Thats still a great time in those conditions, how much do waterlogged shoes weigh compared to dry ones??  Also running solo is tough as well (I think anyway). Is there another marathon you could jump into next month?

Good luck Boston folk. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

weatherboy80

Heavy storms are about 1-2 hours away from Boston.  Going to be interesting to see what transpires in the village with lightning around.  What do they do with us all? Race time looking decent rain wise, but it will likely get humid/warm mid race ...

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good luck to all other Boston runners! Getting on the bus early to make sure I can get a spot in the shelters. Hopefully see you guys out there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)