When to do the hardest workout of the week ? (Read 116 times)

running metalhead

I have a doubt about when to schedule the hardest training of the week  like speedwork or tempo/lactate runs.

I followed Jason Koop's philosophy for ultra training and he considers that the hardest training/s of the week should be done at the very beginning. The logic is that we should be rested after a Monday off.

However, my Garmin was giving me a recovery time for the last run of a few days and in Runalyze I get a value for TSB of -34% and the days for recovery = 2 (Days until TSB = 0).

I was wondering if it would make sense to actually wait until the  TSB is 0 and schedule a couple of recovery runs before the hard run, which this week is 5x1500m. Or may this be just what is necessary for an optimal training effect? 

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I always feel better on a hard run if I've done an easy run the day before, rather than resting.  Brad Hudson's book Run Faster has templates for various numbers of runs per week, and all of them schedule hard runs after an easy run plus hill sprints, with the long run coming after a rest day (if there are rest days) or an easy run. (The only one in which a hard run comes after a rest day is the schedule for 5x/week, which has one hard run after an easy run and the other after a rest day, and the long run after another rest day.)

HappyFeat

. Or may this be just what is necessary for an optimal training effect? 

I wonder the same thing....  I'm not the athlete that ilana is. I need more than one or two recovery days between hard workouts. After a long run, a day off, and one EZ day, I'm barely ready for a faster workout on the third day. I'm currently trying to do that sequence for marathon training. The faster day is then impacting my weekend long run, but I'm managing so far and hoping I'll become a stronger runner.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

running metalhead

The faster day is then impacting my weekend long run, but I'm managing so far and hoping I'll become a stronger runner.

You could maybe use the same approach: Open an account at runalyze.com, and schedule the hard and long runs in such a way that it keeps the TSB (Training Stress Balance) in it's place. There is even an indication of how many resting days you would need to take the TSB back to 0.  It's the same metrics use in Trainingpeaks just that this one is free. It is unfortunately not automated as it is, just as RA, a volunteer effort of a few guys in their spare time.

I was  afraid of the same: If I move the intervals to Wednesday o Thursday I will still be pretty sore on Sunday for my long run. Sure, the accumulation of training stress is a good thing, but the question is how much is too much.

Well, now I have an answer. I'll see what more I can find.

All this planning and investigating is one of the things that I love. 

running metalhead

Well, I found some interesting insights: 
            http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2015/12/managing-training-using-tsb.html

It may, of course, not be directly applicable to me, also because the subject in the example is a triathlete and I am merely a runner, but training stress is training stress.

It boils to to the following:  Keep TSB between -20 and -30 to keep training stress high enough for a possitive effect and avoid staying more than a few days below -30. 

My TSB yesterday was -36, today it is -16, thus even a bit high, This means that I am going to leave the planning as it was and do the interval today.

RECAP:

Below -30 Bad (for more than a day or two)
            Between -30 and -20 Bees Knees
            Above -20 Waste of time

HappyFeat

Thanks Enric! I'll take a look at this in more depth later when I have more time. Appreciate your bringing this subject up.

jaimegu

Enric,

I do my long runs on the weekend, whatever day is nicer or fits my schedule.  I take Mondays off, and my tempos are on Tuesday

I have been using runalyze.com for 6-8months.  I find it has very valuable information, it's just crazy.

I also have Garmin forecasting my recovery time.

However, the models and algorithms don't know each individual, and can miss some conditions of a previous workout (headwind for example).

Furthermore, sometimes my HR is off due to myself (sleep, stress, temperature, caffeine, food,...) or the sensor, but it doesn't mean the workout was that hard.  When it is very hard, I usually feel it in more than one way.

To make things worse, there are authors that prefer doing some quality workouts on tired legs, or put tempo/MP in the middle of a long run.

In summary, I use the technology as a reference not as a rule.

paul2432

I haven't used TSB or other tools.  Here is what I do.  I run every day with a day off every 3-4 weeks.  Long run Saturday (tempo mixed in some weeks), medium long run Sunday (10-15 miles) (sometimes Sat/Sun switch), easy/recovery Monday, hard workout Tuesday, easy run Wednesday, medium long run Thursday, hard workout or easy on Friday.

If I'm running higher mileage I might do a second run on Monday and Thursday.

This schedule is partly dictated by my life outside of running.

running metalhead

I haven't used TSB or other tools.  Here is what I do.  I run every day with a day off every 3-4 weeks.  Long run Saturday (tempo mixed in some weeks), medium long run Sunday (10-15 miles) (sometimes Sat/Sun switch), easy/recovery Monday, hard workout Tuesday, easy run Wednesday, medium long run Thursday, hard workout or easy on Friday.

If I'm running higher mileage I might do a second run on Monday and Thursday.

This schedule is partly dictated by my life outside of running.

Much like what I do. I do the long run on Sunday, "normal" runs during the week and if needed I squeeze in some mileage early in the morning. Hence my question. 

I'm going to read some more about the subject as it's interesting and I have no problem switching the shortish runs around at least in weeks where the mileage is not too high.

personally I am working on a 10 day plan. my work schedule fluctuates greatly between weeks.  as long as I can get the 3 key runs in during the 10 days then I'm good with that.  I usually do an easy run the  day before & day after one of the key runs.  LR, intervals or hills, tempo (or mixing it up days).  Not an elite, more of a second or third tier runner.  I found trying to fit in the 3 key runs was difficult & really adding extra  stress.  the 10 day plan really more simple, works with my schedule better, & less stressful.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I wonder the same thing....  I'm not the athlete that ilana is. I need more than one or two recovery days between hard workouts. After a long run, a day off, and one EZ day, I'm barely ready for a faster workout on the third day. I'm currently trying to do that sequence for marathon training. The faster day is then impacting my weekend long run, but I'm managing so far and hoping I'll become a stronger runner.

You will!  Doing the long run on tired legs is great marathon training.  Until you get to the point where you want to add quality into it, which should come later in the cycle, you really can't go wrong with an easy LR, even if it's easy by necessity due to fatigue.  (In fact this is the approach used by both Higdon and Hanson, to do a MP run on Saturday followed by a LR on Sunday.)  It's more important to be rested for hard workouts (tempo or intervals) than for the LR.

I should also add that I am not the athlete I used to be either! :-)  Also, even while training hard for my PR races, I did only one truly hard workout weekly. But I also did hill sprints and strides and other small doses of hard work within easy runs, and most of my LRs during the late fundamental/sharpening and taper period included quality of some sort, either surges or HMP/MP segments.

Seattle prattle

i'm doing the modified hansons plan this marathon cycle, and i've largely abandoned the usual plan of tempo, intervals, LR, with recovery runs in between.

The plan calls for a long run each week that stays within 10% of MP, or is a progression LR. Then the only other quality run of the week is a strength run that is a combination of a long intervals at a tempo pace equal to your HM or 10K pace. The interval is something like 2x 2 mi at HM pace with a 1/2 mile steady pace recovery interspersed between them. So, there's really nothing faster than your HM or 10K pace. I am enjoying this strategy and don't feel as beat up as i usually do. But there are some fairly long runs that demand a fair amount of pacing. And i'm finding that it's not always possible to hold the tempo pace of the strength intervals for each one.

And with only two quality workouts per week, it's fairly easy to be recovered adequately for each one.

HappyFeat

And with only two quality workouts per week, it's fairly easy to be recovered adequately for each one.

I wish! Easy for you maybe.  Your training plan sounds like mine, but I'm finding it to be quite a challenge. I'm reluctant to say age might be a factor, but there is that.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I do my hardest workout on either Friday or Sunday because that's when I have the most time.