Is my Garmin on it's last leg? (Read 680 times)

Last leg as far as the HRM goes anyway. :-( I've been having problems with the HRM of my 305 for the last year or so but was in denial. Just last week I took the HRM strap and scrubbed it down with soap and a toothbrush to see if it was gunked up. Went on a bike ride and it worked perfectly. Ran the next day with it and started off good but about a half mile into the run the HRM starts reading 60. Shocked So then I readjust the strap on another bike ride to tighten in (DH said it was too loose) Worked on the way back on my bike ride. Ran with the HRM yesterday.........again read super low not realistic numbers on the run. What gives? Is it time for a new 305? TT
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      Before buying a new 305 or other equipment (ie 310xt) i would do some checks. A new strap is much cheaper than a new 305, i would check whether it is the strap or the unit which has the problem. You might go to the shop where you bought the 305 and ask if you could try your 305 with another strap. And before this, have you ever changed the battery of the strap? Probably, but your story didn't tell. Dirk

Giant Flaming Dork

Battery?

http://xkcd.com/621/

The chest piece has a battery. Mine just went out after a couple of years. Easy to change, but sometimes you need to re-pair the sensor with the watch. If you call tech support they can walk you through it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Battery?

Nope.  Battery is new.

Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
            runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Is the strap upside down? You probably have check. Just a thought.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

II had a similar problem with my 305. I changed the battery and it did not work. Doing some research on the web I found that a lot of people have had a problem with the contact below the battery. Take out the battery and using a small screw driver or something lift up the contact so it puts more pressure on the battery. This fixed it for me.  I guess if the contact is dirty where it meets the battery it could also be a problem and you can clean that with a pencil eraser but be careful not to break it.

Mike