Wedding weight loss vs running? (Read 1714 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We paid for our own wedding and my mom didnt do anything but come to the wedding and the wedding STiLL had nothing to do with us.  We got married in dh's hometown as my family is scattered and there are Ft. Wayne traditions that I would NEVER have at my wedding except they just do them without thinking about it because "that is how weddings are done" 

Yeah...my mom tried to talk me into getting married at home (9 hours from where I was living), since she could "help."  Fuck that noise.  My sister and BF will elope in Vegas if/when they marry.  Because she doesn't want to deal with mom. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Here's to the supportive families out there.  Sure my mom and my in-laws had their own opinions, but they all helped make my wedding day pretty much great. Family is not always easy, but living <2 miles from great in-laws has made a huge difference for the better, especially with our first child arriving in May. I only wish my wife's in-laws where still around.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Remember, what's really important is when the gun goes off. Don't pay any attention to the bride's mother, even if both her legs twitch.

You say funny things.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Remember, what's really important is when the gun goes off. Don't pay any attention to the bride's mother, even if both her legs twitch.

HA! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

sincerely silly

Haha this is a wedding thread now!  Does it get better if you're a younger sibling?  I'm hoping that after two other weddings (all girls) my parents won't be bothered to be as critical by the time they get to me. 

Then again, my dad told me that I was too fat as a bridesmaid...

shin splints are my nemesis

Better to have a size 4 dress that fits perfectly than a size 0 dress that fits like a sausage casing. 

This gets today's Gold Star Visual Award.

Congratulations Dragon!!

sincerely silly

Like Julia, I'm not convinced this post is for real.  But if it is...

You're only six months out from the wedding.  Most likely, your dress took 4 - 6 from the time your mom picked it out to the time it arrived at the bridal salon.  During that time, you did not lose the weight, which is totally fine, but you've got to be honest with yourself now about how much you are likely to lose over the next 6 months.

Lose whatever weight you can over the next 6-8 weeks.  In the meantime, find the best alterations person around.  Luckily for you, you have contacts in fashion so this shouldn't be too hard.  See what can be done with the dress.  If you're way far off from your goal, consider a back up dress.  Better to have a size 4 dress that fits perfectly than a size 0 dress that fits like a sausage casing. 

And for the love of God, do not, do not, do NOT bring your mom to the fittings, even if she cries. 

I agree, just be really honest with yourself and stop stressing!  You probably still look amazing. :-)  Also if you're like some of my friends, you'll want plenty of room to eat all of the dang food you spend time tasting and you're paying for at the reception!

I do put a lot of weight (um no pun intended...) in the fact that you believe that 100-105 is your "natural weight" which I think is probably the best gauge over any other chart...but then again metabolism changes with age and other shocks to your system. 

shin splints are my nemesis

LadyAudley

Some great advice about dress sizes.  I may have to reconsider whether I can lose 20lbs in 6 months... when I put it as '1lb a week', it didn't sound hard!!

Oh, and we are paying for everything for the wedding.  Neither of our sets of parents are well off, and we wouldn't dream of asking them to pay a dime towards it.  I agreed to do this for my Mum because I want her to be happy - it means so much to her - and I hate seeing her upset.  I don't need her approbation for me - I'm happy with who I am - but I want her to be happy for her!  She hasn't had much joy in her life lately.

This is just my personal opinion, but I'm not a big fan of the 'I'm having MY day the way I WANT IT' attitude.  But then I've always been happiest when the people around me, who I love, are happy and enjoying themselves.  It would be worth way more than the pain of a diet to me to see my Mum looking cheerful - not because I need her to be proud of me, but because I LOVE HER AND I WANT HER TO BE HAPPY!  Some of you clearly think that's deeply messed up - but it's how I've always been!  Smile

As the father of four daughters I would just like to add that this thread scares the living shit out of me on several different levels.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

As the father of four daughters I would just like to add that this thread scares the living shit out of me on several different levels.

Good luck, Mike!

(Two as-yet unmarried daughters here.)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So glad I just have 1 male kid.  Makes things so much easier.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

To the OP...so far this has all been about what your mom wants.  What does your future spouse want?

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

To the OP...so far this has all been about what your mom wants.  What does your future spouse want?

I see your point, kind of, but isn't this equally irrelevant?  Most of us are saying, what's the healthy thing to do?

Aren't you married? What the hell does it matter what her spouse wants? As I've already said, this is her mother's wedding. The OP will get her wedding when/if she has a daughter. The groom? Seriously, if he's smart he'll just do what he's told. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I see your point, kind of, but isn't this equally irrelevant?  Most of us are saying, what's the healthy thing to do?

Well, sure...we're almost universally trying to tell her to stop listening to MommyJoanCrawfordDearest and to put her health first.  How's that working?  I'm interested to hear what her husband-to-be would like.

The cancer angle really strikes a nerve with me, too.  My FIL was in remission at the time we were married.  We lost him nearly 5 years ago after a 12 year on-and-off battle.  He would never have fathomed suggesting or asking or demanding that we do anything to appease him, much less by using guilt to do so.  People who use cancer to guilt those around them are pretty reprehensible.

~ Sarah Kay