2017 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 487 times)

Hip Redux

Hey fast runner peoples - my husband is running Boston this year and I'm trying to find information for spectators - best places to watch, should I drive/ take the T, etc. (I'm grew up near Hopkinton, so I'm generally familiar with the area)  The BAA website is only marginally helpful.   Anyone have some good information compiled before I poke around on the google?

FSBD

stuck

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

chuckstone

Not claiming to be fast, but my family spectator spot is just after mile 22 near the Dunkin Donut.  It has a good view of runners coming down the back of Heartbreak Hill and making the turn onto Beacon.  I have watched from there a couple times myself.  Dunkin wants to see a receipt to limit the restroom access to customers, but that seems fair.  And there are a couple of T stops nearby.  We tried only that one spot, then going by T to meet up a block or so away from the finish area.  Arrive early and see the elite fast people come by first.

Hey fast runner peoples - my husband is running Boston this year and I'm trying to find information for spectators - best places to watch, should I drive/ take the T, etc. (I'm grew up near Hopkinton, so I'm generally familiar with the area)  The BAA website is only marginally helpful.   Anyone have some good information compiled before I poke around on the google?

Hip Redux

Awesome, thank you!   How crowded is the T?  Better than driving and parking?

Not claiming to be fast, but my family spectator spot is just after mile 22 near the Dunkin Donut.  It has a good view of runners coming down the back of Heartbreak Hill and making the turn onto Beacon.  I have watched from there a couple times myself.  Dunkin wants to see a receipt to limit the restroom access to customers, but that seems fair.  And there are a couple of T stops nearby.  We tried only that one spot, then going by T to meet up a block or so away from the finish area.  Arrive early and see the elite fast people come by first.

chuckstone

it was ok before the race. I think it depends on timing and direction of travel. my son knows how to get around there and we followed him.

Awesome, thank you!   How crowded is the T?  Better than driving and parking?

Julia1971

We got our participant guide over the weekend.  I noticed the bus loading at Boston Common is a little different this year.  Did anyone notice any changes?

From social media this weekend, it looks like a lot of people did their last long run and are tapering.  Enjoy the madness!

Are we there yet?

Hey folks.. anyone here ever run the Jack & Jill Marathon near Seattle Washington?? Any info/advice as far as accommodations is welcomed

KMB

We got our participant guide over the weekend.  I noticed the bus loading at Boston Common is a little different this year.  Did anyone notice any changes?

From social media this weekend, it looks like a lot of people did their last long run and are tapering.  Enjoy the madness!

I didn't run last year's race but the loading spot is definitely different than two years ago; same for gear check.  too soon to watch long range forecast?  wintry mix in Boston coming this Friday.

btb1490

Does anyone know if they still run shuttles from Hopkinton State Park to Hopkinton on race day?

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Yes, but the BAA is saying these are for volunteers and spectators only:

"Hopkinton State Park parking and shuttle service is for volunteers and spectators only. Registered runners parking at this location and using this shuttle will not be transported to the Athletes’ Village and will have to walk an additional one mile from the drop-off point to the Village. These runners may be subject to additional security screening to enter the Village. Registered runners are requested to use the shuttle buses from the South Street parking lots in order to ensure timely arrival at the Athletes’ Village. "

Wording is slightly confusing, but I think it means runners can still take them, but they will have to walk an extra mile to the village and pass through security checkpoint.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/transportation-to-start-line.aspx

Does anyone know if they still run shuttles from Hopkinton State Park to Hopkinton on race day?

Hip Redux

So I read it that I would have to drop off my runner at the South St location and then park the car at the other shuttle.  It's worded like that other shuttle isn't optimal for runners and want to be sure you know that ahead of time so you don't get surprised.

Runner shuttles:

Shuttles will begin taking participants from the South Street parking lot (52 South Street, Hopkinton, MA) to the Athletes' Village beginning at 6:00 a.m. on race morning. Shuttles from the South Street parking to the Athletes' Village run every 10 minutes or as filled. Once the volume starts to pick up, they run every 3-4 minutes. Buses from South St. will run to the Athletes' Village until 11:00 a.m. After 11:00 a.m., buses will run from South St. to Main St. (Two blocks from the the start line).

Wording is slightly confusing, but I think it means runners can still take them, but they will have to walk an extra mile to the village 

Yup I've done it. Truth be told there's no reason to go to the athletes village. Just mill around Hopkinton center until it's time to line up and go racing.

Runners run

joescott

The system that has worked for my wife and son in previous years has been to see the race at 2 spots and then meet at the finish.  1.  Out by the Woodland T stop, which is about mile 16 or 17, if memory serves.  2.  Jump on the T and get back to Kenmore Square, mile 25.  Then make your way to the finish line to find him in the family meeting area or wherever you designate.   I'm sure that others have better ideas, but this has worked for us as out-of-towners, and it involves no transportation except for the T and your feet.  In the crowd around Kenmore Square it can be nearly impossible for your runner to see you.  You might make a plan that he will run close to the right side, or left side or whatever, and also if you can wear something or be ready to fly a banner or somehow get his attention, that might be good.  A few years ago my then-16-year-old son managed this whole process by himself and even managed to see me (and I him) at both locations.  After no luck screaming "Dad" two or three times, he just yelled out my full name, and I heard him and saw him.  It was very inspiring to me.  Funny thing how your name you can filter out of so much noise.  Plus there are too many people yelling, "Dad."

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Hip Redux

The system that has worked for my wife and son in previous years has been to see the race at 2 spots and then meet at the finish.  1.  Out by the Woodland T stop, which is about mile 16 or 17, if memory serves.  2.  Jump on the T and get back to Kenmore Square, mile 25.  Then make your way to the finish line to find him in the family meeting area or wherever you designate.   I'm sure that others have better ideas, but this has worked for us as out-of-towners, and it involves no transportation except for the T and your feet.  In the crowd around Kenmore Square it can be nearly impossible for your runner to see you.  You might make a plan that he will run close to the right side, or left side or whatever, and also if you can wear something or be ready to fly a banner or somehow get his attention, that might be good.  A few years ago my then-16-year-old son managed this whole process by himself and even managed to see me (and I him) at both locations.  After no luck screaming "Dad" two or three times, he just yelled out my full name, and I heard him and saw him.  It was very inspiring to me.  Funny thing how your name you can filter out of so much noise.  Plus there are too many people yelling, "Dad."

Awesome, thanks!   Did you park out by the Woodland T I assume?   I was debating between the commuter line and the Green line T - mostly because I have guaranteed parking at the Framingham commuter rail because of a nearby family member.... wondering how early I would have to get to a Green line lot to get a spot....

New skirt in town

If anyone is interested, I am hosting my annual Pre-Race Par-Tay! Right across from the Expo on Sunday, at the Lir, Boston.  More information here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1365410633480040/

Hope to see you there!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA