Talk to me about pool running.... (Read 265 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Hey, guys!

So--I'm injured.  Plantar fasciitis.  No running for 3-6 weeks (hoping it's on the lower end of that...).  In the meantime I have access to a pool and I have a pool running belt, but may not be able to use a strap, though I will try.

Anyone with experience pool running?  Tips?  I would ideally LOVE to do some interval work to get in some decent conditioning while I recover.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

check out this site: Pfitzinger

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Wow, that's awesome!  Thanks.  Good resource.

My last day of running was last Thursday (Jan. 17th?)... since then I've been working out INTENSELY (cycling and elliptical at least 40 minutes per day with hard intervals, 3 x a week of heavy weight lifting/circuit training like battle ropes and Jacob's Ladder and kettlebells).  I hope I haven't lost too much time and will get right to work on the pool running Tuesday morning.  Hopefully Ill maintain my fitness somewhat... what do you guys think?

Just B.S.

Sorry about the injury. 14 years of running and I have been able to avoid that one so far. But I live in fear of it!!LOL

I did water running for the first time on Saturday. Hubby (he runs marathons as well) and I have started swimming

as we already  cycle and want to move from duathlons to tri's.

We do a coached swim on Saturday mornings with a group of runners/triathletes. Directly after they have an hour

of water running lead by a local marathoner. We figured "what the heck might as well give it a try".

Well man I tell you it was no walk in the park!! She started with a warm up, then we went into drills then intervals,

then a cool down. After all these years of running I was expecting it to be easy, it was not! It was hard and we loved

it. We have decided that since we run Friday, Sunday and Sat is a non running day and we area already at the pool

that we are going to do the water  running every week.

I know a lot of people who do it by themselves but if you can find a "class" I would give it a try.

Good luck!

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

When I had my tibial stress fracture 3 years ago, I used the Pfitzinger plan that BoilerTom posted...definitely helped keep things interesting and also help me keep my sanity while healing.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Well, I did my first day of pool running!  1:30 on/:30 off.  It felt sufficiently hard, aka I was sweating despite being in the pool... but I think I could have pushed more, as I wasn't gasping for air the way I do when I do HIIT on the treadmill.  Partly this was because I kept sinking so my mouth was underwater.  Must work on this.  I did get some coaching on form, but more tips are always appreciated.

Thanks again!  It's a real lifesaver to have pool running since even the elliptical is too much for my heel right now.

Phenix

I pool-ran through a metatarsal stress fracture - I think I read that it's almost impossible to get your heart rate up as much as running (something about hydrostatic pressure) so it never felt like I was pushing as hard as land intervals. Once I was able to run again I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to get back to things.  I did lose some fitness but it was mild. I had to invest in a waterproof iPod case and waterproof headphones to keep the mind-numbing boredom at bay.  I routinely do 14 milers on the treadmill, so I have a fairly high tolerance for boredom but pool running definitely tested it.   I wish you a speedy recovery!

Well, I did my first day of pool running!  1:30 on/:30 off.  It felt sufficiently hard, aka I was sweating despite being in the pool... but I think I could have pushed more, as I wasn't gasping for air the way I do when I do HIIT on the treadmill.  Partly this was because I kept sinking so my mouth was underwater.  Must work on this.  I did get some coaching on form, but more tips are always appreciated.

Thanks again!  It's a real lifesaver to have pool running since even the elliptical is too much for my heel right now.

Did you get one of those flotation belts? That might help with the sinking. I did a bit of pool running years ago (not my favorite life phase to look back on, I must say...) and found the belt very helpful at the beginning. As you get better at it, you can leave the belt away.

Good luck with the injury, hope you can get back to real running soon!

MTA: Oh duh, you said in your original post that you had a belt. Posting before coffee: never a good idea. Since you have the belt and are still sinking, my anti-sinking tip (ymmv...) is to make sure your arm swing is vigorous Smile

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

daisymae--sweet, glad to hear it worked for you [and that you're better now].

Phenix--Thanks!  Wow, 14 miles on the treadmill.  I couldn't do that.  Of course, I've only run more than 14 miles once in my life.  Hm.  Anyway, the funny thing is, if I do intervals I don't get bored!  I only get bored on long runs.  So the Pfitz plan is working for me so far as it allows me to keep focused.  So does navigating around grumpy elderly women who don't want me in the slow lane, despite the fact that I'm not getting in anyone's way....

runharrietrun--Today I implemented your suggestion to work on arm swing, and it really helped.  Thank you!

Day 2 of pool running is done.  I felt like I could push harder today and also like my gait was somewhat similar to actual running.  I was gasping for breath and pushing really hard by the end--felt good!

Can you do this in a regular pool or do i need one of the underwater treadmill things?   Anyone have a video or pictures of this?

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

A billion years ago, an old teammate of mine wrote an article for Runner's World about pool running. You can find it here: http://sportmedbc.com/article/pool-running-0 or here: http://lynnkanuka.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/deep-water-running-try-it-youll-like-it/

I started with the Pfitzinger until I remembered her article and then followed hers instead. Hard, Hard, Hard but oh so worth it. I followed her advice and didn't use the belt (you'll get a VERY strong core and an amazing workout doing this!!).  The key, really, is to keep those shoulders back and run tall. It's really easy to hunch over and *think* you're upright when you're not.

Here, also, is a video showing technique: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1078 (I have one of me but ain't showing that scary thing!!)

I a) had never run a half; b) didn't have a huge base to work off; c) wasn't even in particularly good shape; d) dropped into the middle of a HM training plan and subsquently totally mangled myself.

Started the pool running and hadn't run a step on land for over 10 weeks and managed to come out with a 1:48Tight lippedx HM (super short of my original goal but at least had a HM baseline to work with!

A billion years ago, an old teammate of mine wrote an article for Runner's World about pool running. You can find it here: http://sportmedbc.com/article/pool-running-0 or here: http://lynnkanuka.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/deep-water-running-try-it-youll-like-it/

I started with the Pfitzinger until I remembered her article and then followed hers instead. Hard, Hard, Hard but oh so worth it. I followed her advice and didn't use the belt (you'll get a VERY strong core and an amazing workout doing this!!).  The key, really, is to keep those shoulders back and run tall. It's really easy to hunch over and *think* you're upright when you're not.

Here, also, is a video showing technique: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1078 (I have one of me but ain't showing that scary thing!!)

I a) had never run a half; b) didn't have a huge base to work off; c) wasn't even in particularly good shape; d) dropped into the middle of a HM training plan and subsquently totally mangled myself.

Started the pool running and hadn't run a step on land for over 10 weeks and managed to come out with a 1:48Tight lippedx HM (super short of my original goal but at least had a HM baseline to work with!

Thanks much! I'm sidelined right now with a bruised knee and this is just the motivation I need!

This seems like a good idea after watching the videos and such.  I have a pool so I am going to try and make some kind of belt/ cord to tether myself in place. Does anyone know what water temperature is better for recovery?  Should I be doing this in the hot tub or the cold pool?

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

This seems like a good idea after watching the videos and such.  I have a pool so I am going to try and make some kind of belt/ cord to tether myself in place. Does anyone know what water temperature is better for recovery?  Should I be doing this in the hot tub or the cold pool?

You aren't really doing deep water running for recovery.  However, I don't think you'd want to do this in a hot tub, even it you had one that was deep enough.  I did some deep water running Wednesday at our city pool and though the water was no where near hot tub temps, I felt it was too warm. Nearly made me feel sick. 

GoRunDad

I did the Pfitzinger program in the pool recovering from hip injury.  Highly recommend it.  Strongly recommend tethering.