Running the Chicago Marathon? (Read 848 times)

Team Make-A-Wish

Running the Chicago Marathon on October 7th?  There is still time to join Team Make-A-Wish!   Become a part of the Make-A-Wish family and help grant the wishes of Illinois children with life-threatening medical conditions.  Please visit www.teammakeawish.com for more information and to sign up!

xor

And, bonus, Chicago is making the rather odd decision this year of starting the charity folks sandwiched right in the middle (behind the seeded corrals, but in front of the open corrals which still contain folks trying to run sub4, etc) instead of like, say Boston (at the back).

Rock em sock em running, maybe.  We will see.

uncontrollable

I am looking at 4:00 ... can't seem to get away from that damn time ... whatev, we'll see

peace

sAc238

Zeus

I am looking at 4:00 ... can't seem to get away from that damn time ... whatev, we'll see

Looks like you snuck under ... great job !

How was the side-stepping around the charity runners?

2nd life PR's: 19:24 5k / 39:52 10k / 1:27:36 1/2 mar / 3:08:03 marathon

Brandy

booyah

I was down there watching and had a couple of friends in wave 2.  They said it was a horrible scene trying to get past the charity runners, some of who were walking already at mile 2.  Not a great logistical choice Chicago.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

For starters, I was not a competitor this year, but wanted to share my experience as a bandit pacer.

One of the gals in my running club, was attempting to run ~2:50 and asked if I could pace her the last half. We negotiated and I did committed to the last 10 miles. I have run two larger marathons so far, CMM in Nashville and Boston. I was a mid pack starter in both. So my prior large scale marathon experience was that of zig-zagging the first few miles and in the case of Boston, feeling like a sardine through 7-8 miles. Also, as a pacer I was not running at my race pace.

2:50 was top 500 at Chicago, and since I jumped in at ~16 the race had very much shaken out. I really enjoyed my experience, because it was a relatively thin line of runners and those running near you were running the same pace as you. This is surprisingly not true of the beginning of a marathon. As I said, I was not running my race pace and was basically a glorified wind-breaker/metronome for my racer, so I was able to really take in the sights and sounds of the marathon. It was pure joy to look at faces in the crowd, the signage, the architecture. Aside from the great feeling of helping my racer, who by the way ended up Masters Champion at an F'n World Major w/ a 2:49:02, I really felt the joy of running that day as we meandered through the Ukranian village and China Town. I didn't understand a word they said, but it was great to hear it and the clapping and cheering. I think I get how running is capable of being enjoyable. I was really greatful for the experience.

**As a bandit, I did not take any refreshments from the aid stations and gave right of way to all bibbed competitors as I ran on my tax-paid streets. And I did volunteer for 3.5 hours before the race.

MTA: When the course marshalls finally directed me from the course, I was met by none other than Wrigley Girl; win-win.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
              Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

uncontrollable

I had a great race.  Perfect weather.  Nice course.  Excellent crowds.  Fluids placed nicely and frequently.  Bananas were a hit.  My expectations of myself were 'just run'.  I did not look at the Garmin once.  I never let thoughts other than "this is great, enjoy it" dominate.  I hydrated well and remembered to smile.  I cherished each mile and each moment.  Just ran by feel.  I came through in 3:58: and change.  Felt like I worked it but not like I wanted to lay down & die.  Overall, I rate it as one of my best (not by PR standards) races.  I love the city and the people in Chicago.  Spent the weekend with a great group of friends.  I am giving my weekend and my race an A !!!  No post race blues here.  I feel fine.Big grin

peace

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I had a great race.  Perfect weather.  Nice course.  Excellent crowds.  Fluids placed nicely and frequently.  Bananas were a hit.  My expectations of myself were 'just run'.  I did not look at the Garmin once.  I never let thoughts other than "this is great, enjoy it" dominate.  I hydrated well and remembered to smile.  I cherished each mile and each moment.  Just ran by feel.  I came through in 3:58: and change.  Felt like I worked it but not like I wanted to lay down & die.  Overall, I rate it as one of my best (not by PR standards) races.  I love the city and the people in Chicago.  Spent the weekend with a great group of friends.  I am giving my weekend and my race an A !!!  No post race blues here.  I feel fine.Big grin

Nice going, Kelly!  I haven't yet achieved this kind of feeling for a marathon, but I'm hoping...