weird back of knee pain (Read 1081 times)

i've tried googling this and come up with nothing...so i figured i'd see if anyone here had experienced anything similar! yesterday i did a 10 mile long run, pretty standard for me and nothing too fast or anything. i felt fine during and after, but about 6 hours later, i started to feel some minor pain in the back of my knee when i extended it during walking. today it isn't any better, but weirdly i feel no pain at all when i'm running, its walking that's the problem. it feels like a ligament or a tendon problem, but there's no popping or anything, and i'm in the middle of cross country season and really can't afford an injury now. so, has anyone experienced anything like this before? and if so, what did you do to treat it? i almost feel like i remember something like this happening to me once before, and i think it went away on its own...but any input would be awesome!

Member Since 2008

It's hard to say without knowing how old you are or how often you do long runs. You said something about cross country, so I am assumng you are young. My guess, based on my experiences is that it either has something to do with your ITBS which can be helped with certain stretches or based on the lenght of the run, the tendons just might my soar. Good luck.
      taureanbeauty293

I too am in the middle of XC season and i know what you mean. Is it like hyperextending your knee? It might be an imbalance in your stride because that is kind of what I have on the longer runs. My right hamstring hurts and left back of knee. I don't know if it will help, but try very thorouh stretching of the leg(s) that have that tendon-ish pain. Good luck with that and hope this helps.
        vengeancewins

I had something similar last Spring. I started feeling pain in my MCL area in the middle of a run. It didn't feel too bad, so I finished the run, stretched, and then it started feeling better. That night I started feeling a lot of pain in the back of my knee that made it hard for me to walk. The next day when I saw the trainer he just said I pulled a muscle that connects the knee to the calf. This sounds a lot like you have right now. What I did to get better was to just ice the knee and do super light jogging for a few days until my knee felt stronger. That's really the only advice I can give to you. Just ice it a lot.