New Marathon PB (Read 119 times)

Hi Folks

I just had to tell someone that I broke my marathon PB by 33 minutes.

Despite an undulating course and strong winds blowing today I took my PB down from 3:53:11 to to 3:20:00. The last 16 weeks training block have been a revelation in training for the marathon using www.running-wizard.com

The intended plan prescribed by the running-wizard program has really allowed me to learn so much about training. What the purpose of the run is, what things to look for i.e. things I shouldn't be doing in the run, recovering properly, monitoring body signals and response to not just training but outside stiumlus like my job, weight, hours slept, resting heart rate etc. Although I didn't run every single run prescribed I averaged 6 runs per week (aimed for 7) and am intending to take this experience into my next marathon (not decided when that will be yet but this year certainly).

Although I slowed in the last 5 miles today not helped by the undulating course and weather my heart rate did not red line (in fact it averaged between 160-165 the whole race) and I didn't panic either. I was cruising at 7:30 pace until then and if it had been on the flat I think my overall time would have been better! All stats in my training log.

I definitely feel that I should be hitting sub 3:15 maybe even 3:10 based on current potential performance (based on 1:32 half marathon). Moving forward I know I would be looking to train exactly the same as I did this time (lydiard program) but the thing is the course I ran today was full of undulation and the bad weather added to this so I am not sure whether I should look for 3:15 of sub 3:10 for my next race.

How do I decide that? Any advice would be appreciated.

I am feeling pretty good I have to say and although the legs are fatigued I don't feel awful but I imagine it's best to take recovery seriously over the next 3-5 days..

Although I slowed in the last 5 miles today not helped by the undulating course and weather my heart rate did not red line (in fact it averaged between 160-165 the whole race) and I didn't panic either. I was cruising at 7:30 pace until then and if it had been on the flat I think my overall time would have been better!
    Although I slowed in the last 5 miles today not helped by the undulating course and weather my heart rate did not red line (in fact it averaged between 160-165 the whole race) and I didn't panic either. I was cruising at 7:30 pace until then and if it had been on the flat I think my overall time would have been better!

bap

Congratulations! I think having a 7 day training plan, with the flexibility of taking a day off without guilt, is a great idea.

3:10 is ambitious with a 1:32 half. The formulas for those calculators are often being based on the equivalent performances of elite runners, who don't have the physical and mental stresses we have to deal with every day.

McMillan estimates 1:32 = 3:14.

I'd focus an a sub 1:30 half as your next target, then go for 3:10.

Certified Running Coach
      Crocked since 2013

SubDood

I just had to tell someone that I broke my marathon PB by 33 minutes.

Despite an undulating course and strong winds blowing today I took my PB down from 3:53:11 to to 3:20:00. The last 16 weeks training block have been a revelation in training for the marathon using www.running-wizard.com

Congrats, richieboy!

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but there is a user group for the running-wizard program: Running Wizard. A lot of folks have posted their experiences with the program, as well as some useful question and answer threads. I have no good advice on whether to shoot for 3:15 or 3:10. So much can vary over the course of marathon training, and over the course of the race itself.

Enjoy the journey.

BeeRunB

Congratulations, Richie! That's a huge improvement.

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page