Garmin Forerunner 610 review (Read 7975 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

The same thing happens with the 410. My 305 just died so picked up a 410 and this same thing happened at a race I ran on Sunday..such a pain in the ass..anyways I found this in the manual.. you can disable power save mode while you are in training mode by doing the following:

go to menu and choose training...then choose options...then choose timeout and select off

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the 610 doesn't have this option. People have complained a lot about this on the Garmin forums, but so far, I don't think the programmers have added the ability to turn off the power save mode.

pitrunner

Just wondering if any of you 610 users have any additional input to add maybe from using it a bit longer?  I just got a 610 for Christmas but my 305 is 4 years old and still going strong. Just trying to decide whether to take the 610 back or not. Other than the touch screen and smaller size, I'm not seeing any other advantage to the 610. 

SMART Approach

I honestly wear my 305 more than my 610. Just do, no major reason why other than I kinda like it better!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Julia1971

Just wondering if any of you 610 users have any additional input to add maybe from using it a bit longer?  I just got a 610 for Christmas but my 305 is 4 years old and still going strong. Just trying to decide whether to take the 610 back or not. Other than the touch screen and smaller size, I'm not seeing any other advantage to the 610. 

Not really.  I still use mine everyday now.  In fact, I gave my 305 to a friend, so there's no turning back!

I thought I was getting the notorious pin issue - the strap was looking like it was coming off.  I could see some kind of metal do-hickey between the watch and the strap.  So, I don't tighten the strap as much and it's disappeared back into the strap.  I also had some wonky thing last week where it would turn off for no apparent reason.  I think it was because the battery was low.  So now, I make sure it put it back in the cradle every day.

But other than that, I think TChuck covered the advantages/disadvantages pretty well.  There is also a pretty extensive review on a website by DCRainmaker.  The Runner's World and Garmin forums also discuss a lot of the problems people have had with the watch.

pitrunner

I honestly wear my 305 more than my 610. Just do, no major reason why other than I kinda like it better!

I get it...my 305 is like an old friend at this point. I feel guilty even thinking about "cheating" on him with the 610!

pitrunner

Not really.  I still use mine everyday now.  In fact, I gave my 305 to a friend, so there's no turning back!

I thought I was getting the notorious pin issue - the strap was looking like it was coming off.  I could see some kind of metal do-hickey between the watch and the strap.  So, I don't tighten the strap as much and it's disappeared back into the strap.  I also had some wonky thing last week where it would turn off for no apparent reason.  I think it was because the battery was low.  So now, I make sure it put it back in the cradle every day.

But other than that, I think TChuck covered the advantages/disadvantages pretty well.  There is also a pretty extensive review on a website by DCRainmaker.  The Runner's World and Garmin forums also discuss a lot of the problems people have had with the watch.

Wow, that was quite the thorough review! I took the time to read It and it pretty much answered any question I could have asked. Thanks for your input, too!

Got mine back in October and love it.  Don't really have anything to compare it to but I haven't had any problems with it yet.  Now to begin the long process of transferring my runs from Garmin Connect to RA... Sad

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles