Morning runners (Read 1057 times)

I hope those who sleep less to get their run in know what they are doing. Read this: http://www.binscorner.com/pages/r/ranjan-das-lesser-sleep-and-heart-attack.html... but then running can be addictive.

jwcoastie,

Although now I have a shorter commute, I have been in your situation. Here are a few ideas I have tried. Some worked, some didn't, others worked for some time before they stopped working yet other times I was inconsistent in applying them:

1. Try shortening your lunch to half an hour or eat working lunch and work 8:30 to 5 or 9-5 if possible

2. To help wake up, count reverse 10 to 1, sat-sun etc.; self talk about how great your run is going to be; talk out loud the list of action items for the day, keep some music handy and play as soon as you wake up or wake up to it

3. Go to bad early, get enough sleep

4. Eat early dinner, eat less (also helps go to sleep early). When I eat less, I fall asleep early and fast. When I had a long commute, I would eat banana in my car about half an hour before the dinner. It helped me eat less and the sugar kept me from over-eating. Also try multiple meals a day

5. Try quitting coffee. I have tried it multiple times. Every time I stop drinking coffee, the quality of my sleep gets MUCH better and for the given 'duration' of sleep, I recover much better... but then who can say no to DW for the weekend visit to Star Bucks or resist the smell of coffee?

6. If you eat breakfast before going out for a run, try eating salad or vegetables (get frozen, microwave and eat) for breakfast. Lately, I have been drinking green smoothie every day. This idea took some time to kick in but in a couple of weeks it prepared my body to function better with the same amount of sleep

I am no expert but these ideas are harmless to try. See if they work for you... good luck!

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The only thing I really like about Morning runs: if it's pouring outside at 5am, you can always wait until evening to see if it stops.

Such as this morning.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

When you're on the Dawn Patrol, every night is Race Night

Eat a proper dinner

Not too much alcohol

Lay out the Gear for tomorrow [in Spring & Fall, have options ready for weather that's different from what you expected when you went to bed]

The only thing I really like about Morning runs: if it's pouring outside at 5am, you can always wait until evening to see if it stops.

Such as this morning.

... Or just go out and have fun. Many times I know that if I don't get it done in the AM, I might not have a chance in the PM