Using Baking Soda to train through Lactic Acid burn? (Read 1774 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Right next to the can of whup-ass. Across from the canned peas.
    No, it's across from the whirled peas.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

No, it's across from the whirled peas.
      Can you help me visualize that? I'm having trouble envisioning whirled peas. All I come up with is this:

srlopez? I hope it wasn't my post? I was trying to help.
        And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

xor

srlopez? I hope it wasn't my post? I was trying to help.
          Once again: this is not about you. zoom zoom wrote something, which I quoted and responded to. And she originally quoted someone else who had posted before you showed up. I know you are/were trying to help. And... my post has nothing to do with yours. If it did, I probably would have quoted it. Good night and good luck.

Once again: this is not about you. zoom zoom wrote something, which I quoted and responded to. And she originally quoted someone else who had posted before you showed up. I know you are/were trying to help. And... my post has nothing to do with yours. If it did, I probably would have quoted it. Good night and good luck.
            zoom zoom's comments before made me think that. Clowning around Good night and good luck.
            And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

xor

zoom zoom was invoking a very common riff on the well known "visualize world peace"

Is lactic acid similar to ammonia that accumulates after a hard run?
                Lactic Acid (actually, lactate plus hydrogen ions) is an acid, ph < 7="" (vinegar="" is="" about="" a="" ph="3)." ammonia="" is="" a="" base,="" ph="" /> 7 (ph actually about 11)
                  Lactic Acid (actually, lactate plus hydrogen ions) is an acid, ph < 7="" (vinegar="" is="" about="" a="" ph="3)." ammonia="" is="" a="" base,="" ph="" /> 7 (ph actually about 11)
                  I believe AKtrail wrote that lactic acid is fuel and it's the Hydrogen Ions that are the problem

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

rlemert

I highly doubt the bicarb would make it past your stomach acid. As a base, most of it would be neutralized in the stomach. It might be of benefit but probably not for the reasons cited.
                    I tend to suffer from gastro-intestinal reflux, and it sometimes hits while I'm running. A couple of Tums or some other antacid (even bicarb) can help keep my run fairly pleasant.
                      Lactate Shuttle, a mechanism that allows the muscle to utilize lactate as fuel when the muscle uses up its normal source of fuel. http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/faculty/profiles/more/gbrooks.php
                      He and his UC Berkeley colleagues found that muscle cells use carbohydrates anaerobically for energy, producing lactate as a byproduct, but then burn the lactate with oxygen to create far more energy. The first process, called the glycolytic pathway, dominates during normal exertion, and the lactate seeps out of the muscle cells into the blood to be used elsewhere. During intense exercise, however, the second ramps up to oxidatively remove the rapidly accumulating lactate and create more energy. Training helps people get rid of the lactic acid before it can build to the point where it causes muscle fatigue, and at the cellular level, Brooks said, training means growing the mitochondria in muscle cells. The mitochondria - often called the powerhouse of the cell - is where lactate is burned for energy.
                      http://www.physorg.com/news64680736.html