THE OFFICIAL DESI LINDEN THREAD ON RUNNINGAHEAD DOT COM (Read 2566 times)

My wife and I saw her up in Boston this weekend as she was walking into her hotel after the 5k.  It was pretty much just her and us on the sidewalk, and I was tempted to ask if we could take a picture with her.  In the end, we just walked past and let her be, I'm guessing posing for pics after a race is not the thing on the top of most peoples list. 

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Doc, my tooth hurts

Agreed. I also admire her tenacity  -- 6 years of training before she had a breakout race. I commented to one of my running friends "I wonder how many athletes in other sports would be willing to stick with it that long to see?"  Even Michael Jordan, who was known to work very hard, didn't give baseball 6 years before going back to basketball. 

Slight derail here; On the ESPN documentary 30 for 30, which is recommended,  they said that Micheal actually was improving quite a bit before the strike happened. I find it impressive that he had the success he did for not playing in 10 years. 

My wife and I saw her up in Boston this weekend as she was walking into her hotel after the 5k.  It was pretty much just her and us on the sidewalk, and I was tempted to ask if we could take a picture with her.  In the end, we just walked past and let her be, I'm guessing posing for pics after a race is not the thing on the top of most peoples list. 

The parking garage used for the Millrose Games mainly serves the nearby hospital and wasn't ready for a crowd that big.  In the post-race chaos, I found myself about three feet from Tanya Richards-Ross.  I got the same sense, and left her alone. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Slight derail here; On the ESPN documentary 30 for 30, which is recommended,  they said that Micheal actually was improving quite a bit before the strike happened. I find it impressive that he had the success he did for not playing in 10 years. 

I think I'm going to regret the comparison... ah, c'est la vie.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The parking garage used for the Millrose Games mainly serves the nearby hospital and wasn't ready for a crowd that big.  In the post-race chaos, I found myself about three feet from Tanya Richards-Ross.  I got the same sense, and left her alone. 

I tend to wonder if minor-celebs in a relatively niche sport, would actually be thrilled to be asked.  Then again, knowing long-distance runners, probably not.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I can understand why those of you from what The New Yorker depicted as "The Rest Of The World" (which is where I now reside) don't know this, but the  Cool thing to do would be to say "Hi, Desi!  Good luck at the Olympics!", and keep walking.

"It's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off, oh wo-oh!" - Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine) - Shake It Out

I tend to wonder if minor-celebs in a relatively niche sport, would actually be thrilled to be asked.  Then again, knowing long-distance runners, probably not.

I saw Desi last year at a small track meet. She ran the 5,000, I think. After the race, she was walking around in the stands and posed for a few pics with fans. She was all smiles, very friendly and relaxed.

xor

Niche or not, it's all about timing and mood. And the general disposition of the fan.  It's hard to be 'on' all the time, at the right time, and every time. And harder still if the "I want a pic" person is being kind of a shit about it.

(which nobody here would ever do, I'm sure)

"Minor celebs in a relatively niche sport".  Hee.  Regardless of the truth you find in this label, I suggest against using it on the person in question in a real life situation.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Still talking about Michael Jordan, right?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Still talking about Michael Jordan, right?

well played!

xor

Probably for the best. Her name is Sanya Smile

xor

Whups.

Probably for the best. Her name is Sanya Smile

Awkward.