Happy Valentine's Day -- people suck! (Read 1110 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Heh, childbirth is a good frame of pain scale reference. Tongue

Yup.  Right up there with an abscessed  tooth!

MTA:  except  with child birth at least you get a babyWink

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yup.  Right up there with an abscessed  tooth!

MTA:  except  with child birth at least you get a babyWink

Ha, my hubby references everything relative to the kidney stone he passed years ago.  We've always heard that compared to childbirth and he was like "holy crap, that sucked...how are women ever willing to have more than 1 kid?"  We only have 1.  I said nuts to that nonsense after that, heh.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yup, I'm not too worried about the shots.  Looks like they do them in the deltoid.  Can't be any worse than tattoos or childbirth, I'd think. Big grin

A few years back, our neighbors had a bat in their house and noticed little marks on their 1 year old.  They didn't know if it was from the bat or not, and didn't know, of course, if the bat had rabies either since he flew out the window.

The decided on the shots.  The kid got a slight fever.  That was it.

Jeff

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A few years back, our neighbors had a bat in their house and noticed little marks on their 1 year old.  They didn't know if it was from the bat or not, and didn't know, of course, if the bat had rabies either since he flew out the window.

The decided on the shots.  The kid got a slight fever.  That was it.

To be honest we all probably should have had rabies shots before.  We've had a half-dozen bats in our house (damn, those suckers are agile and can corner like nothing else) in nearly 12 years living here.  Bats have tested positive for rabies in out county and I know their bites can be pretty painless.  We've always talked about building bat houses outside to encourage them to not come in our house.  I love bats, but I don't want them in my house.  It's not safe for them (because of the cats) and I want them to eat the skeeters outside.

~ Sarah Kay

To be honest we all probably should have had rabies shots before.  We've had a half-dozen bats in our house (damn, those suckers are agile and can corner like nothing else) in nearly 12 years living here.  Bats have tested positive for rabies in out county and I know their bites can be pretty painless.  We've always talked about building bat houses outside to encourage them to not come in our house.  I love bats, but I don't want them in my house.  It's not safe for them (because of the cats) and I want them to eat the skeeters outside.

On the flip side, a friend of mine (in his 60s now) who was originally from Calcutta, India.  When he was a kid (in the late 1950s) got bit by a dog that had rabies.

He, at 8 years old or so, had to have the nasty shots in the stomach.  One a day for 14 days.  He said, at the end, his muscles were so hard that they could barely get the needle in without breaking it.

Thankfully that doesn't happen anymore.  At least in the West, that is.

Jeff

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, it sounds like the rabies shot routine is NBD, now.  Used to be a really major, painful deal.

~ Sarah Kay

jfa

It's not like before. The shots are relatively painless. In my case, it wasn't actually a stray dog that bit me, but a dog on a leash. My dog, who was in my yard , went out onto the sidewalk and started shit with the dog as he and his female master walked by. One thing led to another and I literally reached in with both hands, grabbed my dog by the hair, and pulled him out. While doing so, the other dog put  a quarter- sized hole in the top of my hand. The woman, understandably so ,was quite upset. She wasn't in the mood to discuss her dogs vaccination record and walked away. I never saw her again.

Well , thought I, the dog didn't look like it had rabies, so maybe I don't need the shots. Then I read about how rabies is 100% fatal and you die within a week of getting symptoms in a horrible way. I chose the shots.

The bright side is now I'm covered for life. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The bright side is now I'm covered for life. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

Ahh...I wondered about that.   That series of shots really protects for life?  Huh...so I can go around letting strange animals bite me at will--awesome! Wink

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

Huh...so I can go around letting strange animals bite me at will--awesome! Wink

...and she never feared a bat, raccoon or Ol' Yeller again....

Cool

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...and she never feared a bat, raccoon or Ol' Yeller again....

Cool

Heck, they can come be my babies!

~ Sarah Kay

Loves the outdoors

There is a severe overpopulation issue with cats in the US and shelters are overflowing.  No-kill shelters can't accept new cats and there aren't enough people to adopt the cats at other shelters, so daily cats are euthanized to make room for more.  They are not required to be licensed and people are bad about having them spayed/neutered (I'm doubt I will ever forget the mama and feral babies that used to frequent our yard.  Eventually we never saw the babies anymore, which makes me suspect they met an unfortunate end).  I'd say that at least half the cats I know of go outside at least sometimes.  Cats allowed outdoor can spread toxoplasmosis which recently has been found to be much more dangerous than originally believed, and not just to fetuses.

Cats that spend time outdoors are far more at risk of contracting horrible parasites and viruses, they are at risk of injury or death from numerous causes (there was someone in our neighborhood before we moved here who used to shoot cats, from what one of our neighbors told us.  They loved to feed birds and got tired of seeing cats making off with songbirds right in their yard).  One of our boys had frostbitten toes when we rescued him.  The average lifespan of an outdoor cat is MUCH shorter than that of an indoor cat, even if vaccinated.

We like to say that cats are only difficult to keep indoors if people aren't smarter than their cats.  None of ours really have any urge to be outdoors.  Most cats only bolt to go outdoors when they are allowed outdoors.  Keep them inside all the time and that is what they know.  Outdoors rightfully becomes a scary place.

And, as much as I adore cats, I loathe other people's cats in my yard.  The perimeter of our house and our front stoop reek of cat spray.  Other people's roaming cats become OUR problem.  You read my account and the story of my childhood cat losing a leg to a dog (which was my parents' fault for allowing him outside, especially when no one was home to intervene when the dog attacked on our property--neither animal should have been loose and unsupervised outdoors) and still wonder why I have such anger towards outdoor cats (actually, my anger is not aimed at the cats, themselves, but at their irresponsible and inconsiderate "caregivers")?

The cat that bit me could have bit a child.  If kitty was rabid I will need shots to not die, myself--rabies is fatal across the board.  If a rabid cat were to bite a child and the child not report it the end result could be tragic.  Cats are the #1 domestic vector of rabies in the US...more than dogs that end up with the stereotype.  Because cats are not required to be licensed there is no law requiring pet cats to be up-to-date on rabies vaccinations, unlike dogs in the US.

So, yeah, I hate that cats roam freely.  I hate that they can cause harm to other animals and that they can be harmed, themselves.

How do you keep your cats inside though and have your doors open? We spend most of the summer with our doors wide open, windows too. I honestly can't see how I could ever have a cat and ensure it never went outside. We don't have one currently, but if we ever get one again it would be allowed outside. Do you simply not leave doors open ever? Honestly curious? I do understand the feral cat issue, but we spayed/neutered any cats we've owned so we're not contributing. The people who don't aren't exactly responsible owners whatever the situation. As far as killing wildlife, this is something that is of concern and I do think there should be areas where you can't have pet cats at all. Perhaps the risks are greater in your part of the world are greater for cats. We don't have extreme cold, predators (apart from pet dogs) or rabies etc so the biggest danger is being squished by a car. MTA sorry about the formatting. I Can't seem to create paragraphs.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

xhristopher

In the US we leave our doors and windows open plenty but most of us have screens which keep the mosquitos out. These screens also keep out cats in. My cat hasn't been outside since I've had him but he spends lots of his time sitting in the window sniffing the outside air.

Cats are a bitch to get back in if they accidentally get out.  I mean, escape.

Jeff

BeeRunB

Heck, they can come be my babies!

LOL

You'd get tired of cleaning up the frothCool

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

LOL

You'd get tired of cleaning up the frothCool

2 of our 4 are chronic pukers (have been since day 1, regardless of food)...saliva puddles would be easier to clean up than "stomach contents paté." Tongue

~ Sarah Kay