Starving after I added half mile (Read 117 times)

egrizzly

Ok, I've been running 5K each weekend now for about 6 weeks.  This past weekend I decided to add an additional half mile to my routine.

Unbeknownst to me after I finished the 5K (+ half mile)  I felt like eating everything I could get my eyes on.

During the football game on Sunday my gf was a bit embarrassed since I ate about $50 worth of food.

Has anybody experienced this before?  Feeling of having to eat a ton after increasing your distance, or after a run period?

an amazing likeness

A 1/2 mile is something like 50 calories (+/-), it wont make you "starving".  Blame it on something other than the 5K and/or 1/2mi.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's mental.  I started running nearly 12 years ago to get off my last stubborn 10-15#s.  Ever since then I've been struggling to drop 20-30#s.  Oh, the justification eating I've done over the years.  And/or celebratory beers.  Running makes me hungry like nothing else...but I end up replenishing a solid double of the calories that I actually burned.  I always gained while training for marathons.  I'm a slow learner. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Marky_Mark_17

I found time of day makes a bigger difference.  I never get hungry running early morning, which is my normal workout time, but when I run in the evening, I am generally starving by about 4km unless I've eaten something earlier.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

kkittenkat

English Villian

Yeah, I eat 5000 extra Kcals for every half a mile over my normal 2 mile run route.
            GO ON, you deserve it!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm hungrier after runs lately, but it has cooled off considerably and, when running in close to freezing temps, I'm burning more calories staying warm.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

kkittenkat

English Villian

Disclaimer: I'm middle aged and from the UK, I can't do KM.
                But generally, eat what you like after any run. It keeps the running magazines in business, trying to give you informative tips to lose weight.
                Bottom line (excuse the pun), is that most fat 'runners' are still fat because they don't (a), really run, and (b), doing exercise isn't a free card to eat sixty million calories a day.

But this will get censored by Eric and his minions, because Americans don't 'do' uncomfortable truths.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Running is not a good way  to drop weight

I am never hungry right after a run

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Disclaimer: I'm middle aged and from the UK, I can't do KM.
                    But generally, eat what you like after any run. It keeps the running magazines in business, trying to give you informative tips to lose weight.
                    Bottom line (excuse the pun), is that most fat 'runners' are still fat because they don't (a), really run, and (b), doing exercise isn't a free card to eat sixty million calories a day.

But this will get censored by Eric and his minions, because Americans don't 'do' uncomfortable truths.

KK, why do you have to bring Eric and censorship into this? If you don't like the rules, don't play in Eric's sandbox.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Seattle prattle

lifting and resistance training makes me ravenosly hungry. Running never does.

If this hunger post run thing bothers you, maybe just try a post-workout recovery snack. That should curb the appetite somewhat, then just make sure to have a modest meal within a couple of hours of that.

Fact is, the workout is just part of the battle. Re-building damaged muscle and connective tissue, restoring glycogen stores, hydrating, etc., are all essential to maximize the potential benefits of the workout. But if you want to hone in on that race weight, most of us simply cannot go pounding down the calories. What you eat, when you eat, and how much - in conjunction to your training - will differentiate success from something less.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

A 1/2 mile is something like 50 calories (+/-), it wont make you "starving".  Blame it on something other than the 5K and/or 1/2mi.

+1

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

RunNow

ad hominem