What do you use for running at dusk/night so people know you are on the road? (Read 933 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

If you're considering purchasing a headlamp for night use, and are concerned with losing night vision, look for the ones with the red LED as well as the white ones, and use the red setting. The red light will not impact your night vision when you turn the light off. The tradeoff is that the red lamp doesn't shine as far into the distance as a white one will...
      I use the same blinky-light, headlamp stuff that most people have posted about. However, rather than a vest I use a Xinglet (http://www.amphipod.com/440-448/448.html). It is a little less bulk that you have to wear.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

I use a handheld light (Gerber LX 3.0). It's a 3 watt LED and is super bright. I need it to see though, as I'm running trails in the mountains at night. If you are using the light to see (vs be seen), the handheld works a bit better because you get more shadows for contrast. A headlight is at the same angle as your eyes... so you don't get much contrast. Makes it hard to spot roots, rocks, and stuff.
          I wear silver/orange reflective anklets sometimes. Stuff I have but don't really use: -Brooks Reflective Vest -Cheap red blinkers -Nike Arm Strobe

Vim

Giant Flaming Dork

When it's hot, I don't wear anything (to help me be visible). ... I can see good enough without light.
            I'm surprised nobody jumped on this one... and I'm not talented enough to make it funny... Big grin

http://xkcd.com/621/

Baby bean!

I'm surprised nobody jumped on this one... and I'm not talented enough to make it funny... Big grin
              I'm sure running naked is a lot more effective than anything else out there!!! Wink

Goals:
              Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

I'm sure running naked is a lot more effective than anything else out there!!! Wink
                If I were driving by, I'd slow down

Baby bean!

Okay, going with these... They are 4.99 at footlocker.com.

Goals:
                  Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

i take the LED off my bike and run with that clipped to the back of my shirt or jacket. i also run in the street when possible b/c it's easier on my legs than the concrete sidewalk, so i take advantage of my city's plethora of one-way streets-- i run against traffic and can see when i need to get out of the way of any cars.