Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Maybe this Westfield race was the one to do it at...smoking fast field with 6 under 14:00 and 38 under 17:00! Good to know for next year!

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/13/ma/Mar30_RunWes_set1.shtml

I saw that but would not have been recovered from NB anyway.

I have gone back and forth on the Salem race on the 28th--I was in, then I was out due to James Joyce, and now James Joyce looks like it conflicts with a family commitment so I might be back in.

Westford Road Race on May 5th is also on the list.

Then there's always the NB Twilight meets...

Runners run

I saw that but would not have been recovered from NB anyway.

I have gone back and forth on the Salem race on the 28th--I was in, then I was out due to James Joyce, and now James Joyce looks like it conflicts with a family commitment so I might be back in.

Westford Road Race on May 5th is also on the list.

Then there's always the NB Twilight meets...

Can't agree more about NB recovery...I can't even say that I'm fully recovered now.

It looks I'm probably out for the Salem race while I try to put my Achilles problems behind me. I'm just going to focus on getting healthy between now and the Maine Coast Marathon. I might have to wait until June to take a crack at <17 for this year.

I say I *might* be back in, because I'm pretty banged up too. I had a bad hamstring issue after NB. It is mostly under control now but it was affecting my gait which has caused/exacerbated an issue with my foot, which now hurts more than the hamstring.

IF I can get all of that under control, AND I can get in some decent workouts in the next few weeks, then I MIGHT give it a go on the 28th in Salem. In other words who knows.

Runners run

Quick check-in. Got it today. 16:53 at Greater Danbury 5k. Second place by one second. He just ran smarter, using me to carry the wind facing side, and taking the lead with a half to go all downwind. Just couldn't muster the last bit (I think he was playing with me).

No idea on splits. No watch, and the girls at mile markers were texting or something. Good race though.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          J-L-C

Awesome job, Kevin. Congrats on the time and placing! Well done! Big grin

Congrats Kevin!

coach-T

Well I do not believe I have commented on here, and it has been some time since I have really spent time on these forums, but I just broke 18 with a 17:36 so I should now fully commit to being part of this forum... just have to get some mileage up again... here we go!

Because what this place needs most is another Goal of X time for Y distance thread.

My story is that in the spring of 2004, after about 4 years of relatively consistent and progressive training and racing, I upped my mileage and had a breakthrough season. One day in May at a local yokel 5K I ran 17 flat. Officially, anyway. The last numbers I saw on the finish clock before I crossed under it were in the 16:5X's and my watch, which I stopped a few meters after the finish line, read 16:59.xx, but the official results said 17:00.00, so there it was. Seriously, point zero, zero. I wish I were kidding. But no worries, I figured. Surely I'd just break 17 at some other 5K that summer or sometime soon. It was a given at that point. A lock. Well, later that summer my running took a left turn and I wound up taking a hiatus from racing and any real training for almost 2 years. When I started back at in in 2006, I'd lost not one step but many, many steps. It took a while and a lot of miles but I'm almost back to where I was.

There were two major pieces of unfinished business from that spring of 2004--a sub 2:50 marathon and a sub 17 5k. I checked off the marathon last October. So here we are. This may all end badly but I figure if I don't give it a serious go this year then I'll only be one year older when I do. Who's with me?

This morning in Cambridge, MA I ran 16:59.44 (PR) in a USATF certified 5k. I am free.

Don't stop. Don't ever stop.

Runners run

That's some great advice.  Congrats!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

This morning in Cambridge, MA I ran 16:59.44 (PR) in a USATF certified 5k. I am free.

I have been impressed with many results on RunningAhead over the last six years. But never has one made me this happy.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

joescott

You are inspiring, sir!  Glad you finally nailed it, and under full marathon training load, to boot!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

MoBramExam

Big props, my internet running board friend!!!

Thanks guys, sincerely. That PR was about to have it's 10th birthday in May and that would have been a rough milestone.

Good to know I'm as fast (or faster) than I was when I was 34. That seems like a lifetime ago.

Runners run

Of all the stories I've read here on RA, this has been the one that I've been most interested/invested in. What a mission!

Good work Mikey.

Why is it sideways?

So freaking cool.