Foot pain!!! (Read 62 times)

ekw288

Hi! I’m a 25 year old female runner and have been running on average 20 miles a week, more when I’m training for a race. This past weekend I ran an 8 hour endurance run and the following day the outside of my right foot began to hurt really bad. The pain is just along the bottom edge of my foot about midway between my heel and my pinky toe and it is a shooting pain. The pain did not start while running. I’ve run a few times since it started and the pain was no worse while running. It only hurts when walking/running or moving my foot, not when resting, there is no swelling or bruising. When moving my foot from side to side there is a strange creaking sensation along with pain. Does anyone have any idea what this may be? I have an appointment set with my doctor next week, but would really love some feedback from fellow runners! Thanks

SMART Approach

Well, geez running 20 mpw and then doing an 8 hour endurance run certainly sets you up for injury. You are asking for it really.  It is obviously some type of stress reaction from extended pounding or stress either soft tissue or bone. My biggest concern would be a stress fracture in 5th metatarsal Jones area. Does it hurt if you push on the bone along the middle side of your foot? Go along your foot. Any area of isolated pain when you push with your finger? An xray likely will not show a stress fracture or stress reaction at this early stage. A sport medicine/ortho doc will know this so keep this in mind. An MRI or bone scan would. Just hope it is not that. You are going to need some time off from running and/or walking. You probably should not have run for 7 days anyway whether injured or not after an 8 hour run.  Don't push through this.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

It only hurts when walking/running

DO NOT DO THIS.

I'm not a message board MD nor do I play one well on the internets so yea see a real live one. From experience, the 3 times in my life I had "creaking" during movement it was a either a stress or total fracture. In fact if you have a pair of crutches or an old boot, I'd use them before you see the MD just in case because a small bone fx in the foot is no joke.