Broad Street Race Report (Read 775 times)

Woke up to a BEAUTIFUL morning. Perfect for a 10 mile race! HOWEVER getting dh, kids and puppy ready and out the door was NOT an easy task. Somehow we managed and got on the road. Nice drive to Philadelphia, which it's usually not due to so much traffic. Ken dropped me off a few blocks from the starting line. It was a little on the cold side which I didn't mind (much better than hot). Wasn't sure where the hospital sign was, but figured I'd find it eventually. Eventually came and Scout and Joe were much easier to find than I expected (way too many people running the race). We chatted for a bit then settled in around Somerset. Gun went off and we started walking. First time I've ever really remembered walking for so long before being able to run. Anyway the road was so freaken crowded. I ran behind scout for a bit but we seperated not long after starting. I wasn't sure what pace I wanted to run it. I just knew I wanted to have a good race. Was settled into a nice pace by mile 3. Figured I'd keep it that way until around mile 8 or so then really push it. Didn't realize that between mile 6-7 they closed half of the road and opened it to traffic. Talk about zigzagging (something I don't do very well). I knew it was a big race but didn't realize how crowded the run would be. At mile 7.5 got a little uplifted by the Scottish pipes. Didn't last long though. This was probably the quietest big race that I've ever done. Got another lift around mile 8 and half or so when they started playing the rocky theme. Too bad they didn't play that all the way in. I definetly would of done alot more zig zagging if they had. By mile 9 I was wondering if I was going to end up walking in, the road was so crowded. I picked up speed and managed to pull in the last mile in 7:46. HOWEVER I had way too much gas left in my tank, which left me really dissappointed. Didn't expect it to be so crowded. I did manage to chat with a bunch of people who we're curious about my Tat. So I didn't feel too alone during the race (yes I know feeling alone when there is over 17,000 other people running with you is alittle contradicting) I managed a little over 82 minutes. I'm definetly very happy with my run. Felt more like a training run then a race which says alot for my training! I was hoping to end the race empty but oh well always another race to do that. Dh used wire zipties to keep my chip on shoe (not on lace but through the little grommet so the ties HAD to be cut. Unfortunatly it took me at least 5 minutes to find someone with a box cutter to cut them off Angry Not long after grabbing a bottle of water who do I see but Scout and Joe. Guess Joe was waiting on a cousin. Anyway Scout and I headed towards the lost tent, chatted while stretching. Turns out he's a nice guy Wink Enjoyed my run but wasn't all impressed by the race. I'm just not one for bigger race's. I tell you The Monkey is sounding better and better!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Great race! Smile I hear ya on the Super Big Races. I ran the Army 10 Miler last year, and due to not enough port a potties and not getting downtown soon enough, I started in the back ... it was a chip race, but I started with the slower runners. Anyhow, I spent THE ENTIRE RACE dodging people ... it never thinned out. Bletch.
      2009: BQ?
        My first Broad Street Race, aka Chasing Charlie Brown...I will definitely do it again! I liked it. I've never been around so many people, but it was fun. I had a horrible night's sleep, with going to bed at 11:30 and then my 5 y/o climbing into my bed at 2:15 and then the wind waking me up on and off...but I popped out of bed at 5:00 a.m. when my alarm went off. I was picked up at 5:45 and then we headed to wa-wa to meet up with three other vehicles full of people. Who would have known so many people from my little area were running it! I was happy that I wasn't the one driving...have I mentioned that I don't like going into Philly? I've never taken the subway before, so that was a neat experience for me. I must have looked like a kid all wide-eyed and such. Everyone on the subway was friendly and happy, we all chatted. Very cool! Coming out of the subway and up to the surface we were reminded of just how chilly it was. While walking down to the start area I spotted Charlie Brown, aka Joe_h, and Scout. I ran over, said hi, introduced myself and then went on to catch up with my friends to find out where they were going to be, but I couldn't find them. Not sure where to start at I somehow ended up at the 8 min mile start. Okay, not what I had planned, I don't think, but I stayed there. I felt good. I really didn't struggle with any of it. I think I should have pushed myself but I was half afraid to in case I would burn out. The crowds seemed to come and go around me. I would pick different people to follow and one by one I was passing them, it felt good to pass people, but I only did it when I was sure I was able to keep up the pace, and I did. Big grin When I got to mile 8 I picked up my pace a little bit when I thought I saw someone ahead that I knew, when I got next to her I saw that I was wrong, but I didn't want to slow down. When I got to mile 9 I was right along side of a guy who seemed to not want to let me pass him, well, I waited for the right moment and I passed him, but he caught right back up to me. At that point I started to run harder and it felt good as I passed a bunch more people, I've never really done that till today!! After crossing, my legs cursed at me a little but nothing like they did after my first HM. I slowly walked on to the chip removal area. I tore off the chip and put it in the bucket. Then I turned to see a guy throw up. Walking on I was passed by medics pushing a stretcher that returned seconds later with a guy who had passed out, but it wasn't the throwing up guy. I finished with 1:21:10. I wasn't sure of what to expect for my first 10 mile race, but I'm happy with that time. Next year I'll do better, hopefully. My regrets... 1. Not finding Joe and Scout earlier. 2. Not finding Pam, Scout, and Joe after the race. 3. Not having my cell phone (it's my stopwatch). 4. Not having a hard candy, I could have used one at mile 7. After getting home, I showered and then headed to my daughters soccer travel tryouts and then to her soccer game and then we went out to dinner. It's been a long day. Right now, I'm ready for sleep!!! Smile

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm so jealous of you peeps that got to meet. BTW, did anyone get pics of Scout? We're still trying to figure out what he looks like! Tongue Sounds like it was a pretty nice race. I've only been in one race that was semi-crowded (Race for the Cure). It thinned out after the first half mile, but I still don't like dodging people. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm so jealous of you peeps that got to meet. BTW, did anyone get pics of Scout? We're still trying to figure out what he looks like! Tongue Sounds like it was a pretty nice race. I've only been in one race that was semi-crowded (Race for the Cure). It thinned out after the first half mile, but I still don't like dodging people. k
            I only met Scout and Joe for a handshake, a quick "oh, I'm so nervous", and then I was dashing off to attempt to catch up with my friends who simply had to get to the bathrooms asap. No pictures. Sad

Michelle

I managed a little over 82 minutes. I'm definetly very happy with my run. Felt more like a training run then a race which says alot for my training! I was hoping to end the race empty but oh well always another race to do that.
              Almost a 6 minute PR and she calls it a training run! Shocked Great job! I hear you on the crowded thing. I'm really liking the smaller runs these days. A great reason to join a local running club, IMO.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

No pics, my identity remains safe. It was crowded the whole way. I was tripping over people pretty much the entire time. Still managed to get a 1:08:45, though.
                  Humble as always I see Scout Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Almost a 6 minute PR and she calls it a training run! Shocked Great job! I hear you on the crowded thing. I'm really liking the smaller runs these days. A great reason to join a local running club, IMO.
                    I know I know, but I had so much gas left over. I hadn't planned on JUST running this race. I had planned on giving it every bit of my self that I would be cursing myself out by the end of the race. I need JUST one race like that before I start training for my marathons.

Scout7

Humble as always I see Scout Tongue
                      What can I say?
                        You guys all did a great job - thanks for posting the reports and congrats to all Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Crowded does not describe it!! I missed the early train, then missed the start (I had to pee), so I ran down the sidewalk for the first half of the race. Got home in 1:03:18!!

The voice of mile 18

I'm so jealous of you peeps that got to meet. BTW, did anyone get pics of Scout? We're still trying to figure out what he looks like! Tongue
                            an exotic blend of george clooney and cat in the hat great reports everyone! I love that race but it starting to reach it's maximum density. near perfect conditions - sunny cool but not too cold and a nice tailwind. did it in 1:12:30 not a PR or my supersecret "A" goal but much better than i deserved. AND got to meet a bunch of RA folks so that was cool.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

239 people finished between the the time I finished and 45 seconds later when my friend Phil finished Shocked

I enjoyed the race. Being around that many people was fun. I would have enjoyed it more if I got to actually run with people that I know!! I'm still upset about that. Since I'm not a fan of the city it was cool being able to run through where I've cursed at people while stuck in traffic. I can't believe that I started the race without a goal. I have never run a 10 mile race before so I didn't know what to expect. I'm not even sure if I should be excited about my finish time or not (1:21:10)...but since it's my first I guess it's my PR. Great race ttmalek! I think you did awesome for the HM we both ran, if I remember correctly.

Michelle