2011 Yuengling Shamrock Marathon (Read 1580 times)

mark-bixler

This race is coming up in March of 2011.  It will be my third marathon overall and second Shamrock.  Anyone else signed up for this marathon?

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

I am planning on running it. Just not sure if I am doing the full or the half. I am still on deployment and want to wait till the end of Oct. when I do a half before I make up my mind.

Kevin

an amazing likeness

Seriously, how does one properly pronounce Yuengling ?  I tried asking for one their beers once and gave up and asked for the "Y stuff".

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

MT, it's ying-ling, as mentioned here..

Not at it at all. 

mark-bixler

Ok, so I am a couple weeks in to training and feeling good. 

Who else is signed up for this?

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

xm41907

I'm signed up.  It's my first marathon so I'm excited. Longest race before was Army 10 Miler this year.  My trainings going pretty good but come Sunday mornings, I'm regretting signing up for a early spring marathon.  Winter sucks!

Tim Hardy

Mark;

I'm running it.

TLH Marietta, NY

arlington, VA

I'm about 50/50 right now for doing...something at it. A group were going to do the half, but I'm getting one (first! same boat as xm41907 with the A10) out of the way next month so I'm contemplating the marathon. How's the course for the marathon/half there? 

~J

This is why I run

Pancake flat

Clydesdales shouldn't run in Five Fingers!
                    americanmiler

The Yuengling Shamrock Marathon is not pancake flat at all!!!!! I kept reading how it was sooo flat and so I trained for flat. The first half is mostly flat.  Expect for a long incline and going over a bridge and back. After the half at mile 17-23 was a long hill that felt like it never ended and didn't until we got back to the boardwalk from the air force base.  It took the wind out my sails for sure.  I died mentally because I wasn't prepared for that 5 mile long incline right after the half way point.

Best Present Ever

The Yuengling Shamrock Marathon is not pancake flat at all!!!!! I kept reading how it was sooo flat and so I trained for flat. The first half is mostly flat.  Expect for a long incline and going over a bridge and back. After the half at mile 17-23 was a long hill that felt like it never ended and didn't until we got back to the boardwalk from the air force base.  It took the wind out my sails for sure.  I died mentally because I wasn't prepared for that 5 mile long incline right after the half way point.

Umm, I'm really not sure how a race could be flatter.  If you look at the elevation profile, the only 'incline' is like 10 feet. If that much.   http://www.shamrockmarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Shamrock-Marathon-2015_final.pdf