2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Caitlin - It's absolutely awesome that you're feeling so much better.
    I have run quite few feeling fine at the start (excepting things like hot/humid conditions) - but even sometimes thing so south mid-race even when I felt fine at the start (Dallas 2019, CIM 2021).

Flavio - I got a hearty chuckle out of it, but my wife just rolled her eyes when I pointed it out.
    The stomach bug thing is weird - that's basically the only type of sickness I've had for the past several years. Hopefully I've gotten that out of the way for the rest of the year!

I kinda think I may have gotten past that limitation, but I'm not 100%. I just remember starting to crank it up during the race and checking my split pace after the mile markers and thinking "wow, that was much faster than I've ever made it up that hill" and "sub 6?? Man, I'm really scooting along here" all while not feeling like I was about to die or even thinking that I might need to take it a bit easy before the finish.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

You forgot to thank this forum. You joined this thread and immediately PR'd. That obviously means we were the cause 

It is a well known fact that correlation equals causation! But seriously I do appreciate this group. It's said that it's beneficial to train with people faster than you; same goes to interacting virtually. So much great experience and advice here. I know I don't comment on other people's stuff as much as I should - it's hard to keep up!

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I celebrated 10 years of staying away from marathons. I don't know why I came out of retirement. The training payed off but my hammys hate me. Time to get back to fun 100 mile training.

Yes, 100 mile training sounds like a total blast.....

(just giving you a hard time  Wink

Hi all - checking in with my race report and my week:

45 miles running, 1 hour pool-running, and 500 yards swimming.

M: 60 minutes pool-running and light upper body weights/core
        T: 7 miles, with 4x800 in 3:34, 3:28, 3:23, 3:20 (recoveries of 2:4x-3:0x after the 800s). Followed with light leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming
        W: Yoga and 5 miles very easy (9:36) and drills.
        Th: 4 miles, including 1600m at early marathon effort (7:42), followed with upper body weights/core.
        F: Travel and DIY yoga
        Sa: DIY yoga and 2 miles very easy (10:08) plus drills.
        Su: .8 miles jog, and then Chicago Marathon in 3:24:40 (split 1:41/1:43).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

A few shoutouts to those I didn't catch in the Waltons thread:

JMac - do you think that the recent bad luck could be correlated to now being a father, with more obligations and likely less sleep, both of which make recovery harder?

MMerkle - nice week!

Flavio - of course I loved the cat story.

Ian - side point, but I have a friend that does orphaned/special need kitten rescue - we actually got two of our cats from her.  She brings her kittens to parties and barbecues (she checks before to make sure it's OK) and lets everybody play with them.  She does this because a) she doesn't want to leave them alone for several hours and b) she says it's really good for them to be handled by many different people as young kittens - especially since the kittens she raises generally do not have mothers.

Mikkey- my handle's actually because I used to be very involved in the DC gothic/industrial scene about 20-25 years ago.  Most of my very good friends are from those days, as is my partner.  So good catch on your part.

DavePNW - thanks again for the pictures.  May I add them to my race report?

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Pain is my friend

Its ok. Most most my friends, family and co-workings think I have a few screws loose. I will stick around and show you that 100 mile training is similar to marathon training. Some of the training sessions are longer. Across the years 24 hour is in 80 days from now.

Yes, 100 mile training sounds like a total blast.....

(just giving you a hard time  Wink

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Running Problem

Problem Child

An amazing day for me. Official time 3:17:48, which is a 4:28 PR. So huge for me considering I felt like I had plateaued, after 10 years of marathoning and 17 races, at age 57. I chained myself to the 3:20 pacer until 19-20, then got in front of them and ran my  own race from there. Felt strong throughout, and really poured it on at the end—overall avg was 7:33, final 2k was at 6:48. Can’t tell you how happy this makes me.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!!!!! Nice closing speed dude. Regardless of age.

I guess the old "Sub 3:20 or bust" thread is now all much faster.

EDIT: 100 mile training sounds like marathon training, with extra long runs and probably less short speed work. 80 miles of running is 80 miles of running. I think the difference goes between finishing, and winning. Oh and the whole "run/hiking for 29 hours" doesn't fully encapsulate things. It leaves out waking up and not being able to fall asleep for a bit after the race. I would guess it's more like 40 hours of being awake then a momentary blackout lasting an hour or longer. At least based on my last experience at States. Also, 500mg is NOT enough to stay awake after having caffeine and sugar all night/day. Might want to smoke meth before driving try 1,000 mg to be safe.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

darkwave - Congrats on getting to the start line and completing a marathon without getting injured after all your issues! I remember seeing a photo of you a while back and thought you looked a bit like Kelly Osbourne…a bit of a gothic vibe there, or maybe I just need to get my eyes tested.  

This is still in full trend. I went to "My Chemical Romance" concert few days ago with my daughter and felt like those tens and 20s-early 30s years old will suck my blood out of me - there were so many of them looking like vampires and wearing all that goth clothing... 

Cal, another good reminder that I really need to refocus on losing some weight.  Also a perfect example that the 3-4 months before a marathon matter, not the week before.

Yeah, I think you are right - just don't get sick close to the race. But otherwise, yes, mileage ran months before the race is far more important than last week before the race - I basically didn't run at all the last week before London and still was ok. Nothing works for me like higher mileage does - running slow almost guarantees you are not getting injured, and running too many or too many fast workouts is always like balancing on a edge - doesn't matter if you are old or young - it's such a tricky balance to find that golden middle of the speed and endurance.

And weight - I have never had any situations where I would be worried about weight as it was always within 5 lbs range of 163 value. But it went down 20... That was really strange and scary - and I really felt that weakness at some point, something I didn't feel before. That's a new thing I have to learn how to deal with.

Yes, go with the mileage, see how it works for you - I love it, but I know there are plenty of people who do not believe in it or just don't want to spend too much time running "slow" for hours (and that's the only way to get to higher mileage and don't get injured Smile )

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

zebano

Are you suggesting that teenagers scare the living shit out of you?

This is still in full trend. I went to "My Chemical Romance" concert few days ago with my daughter and felt like those tens and 20s-early 30s years old will suck my blood out of me - there were so many of them looking like vampires and wearing all that goth clothing... 

Yeah, I think you are right - just don't get sick close to the race. But otherwise, yes, mileage ran months before the race is far more important than last week before the race - I basically didn't run at all the last week before London and still was ok. Nothing works for me like higher mileage does - running slow almost guarantees you are not getting injured, and running too many or too many fast workouts is always like balancing on a edge - doesn't matter if you are old or young - it's such a tricky balance to find that golden middle of the speed and endurance.

And weight - I have never had any situations where I would be worried about weight as it was always within 5 lbs range of 163 value. But it went down 20... That was really strange and scary - and I really felt that weakness at some point, something I didn't feel before. That's a new thing I have to learn how to deal with.

Yes, go with the mileage, see how it works for you - I love it, but I know there are plenty of people who do not believe in it or just don't want to spend too much time running "slow" for hours (and that's the only way to get to higher mileage and don't get injured Smile )

I'm really hoping you're right about the slow running. Some of it is lost fitness but I've moved my easy runs from roughly 8:30/mi pace to 9:30-10 lately mostly by focusing on keeping HR well under the zone 2 limit and I'm really hoping it allows me to maintain more than 50 miles week which is something I've never managed for more than a month at a time.

20 lbs weight loss is a crazy amount.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Are you suggesting that teenagers scare the living shit out of you?

I understood that reference!

Dave

ccoakley

DW, that 1st mile alone and being passed for 20 mi sounds soooooo demoralizing.  Ugh, ugh, ugh but even more impressive you could rally through all of it and finish.

Krash, I'm very curious what training for 100 mi looks like.  The pull towards ultras for me is strong.

Cal, I guess one advantage of already being so slow is that I feel no shame/care about my easy runs being really slow.  I usually switch my watch to only show HR and let that guide me.

Zebano, we have similar mileage goals 

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I was a big fan of MCR when they released The Black Parade album and saw them live when they released it…but I’m just too old now to dress up or wear make up for a gig and look scary. 😜

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

100 mile training - Years ago SeattleMax told me that to do this I needed to "train to run a fast marathon". This is something about which I'm curious for next year. After all, how hard could it be to hold recovery pace for a day (give or take) after a big training cycle and taper?

DWave - I enjoyed the RR, and that, indeed must have been a tough race. So far as personal worsts go, yours is a good 100 minutes or so faster than mine!
                          I like the idea of mailing yourself a care package. I think I may emulate your method if I can't get my hotel for CIM to agree to let me ship something to myself there.
                          Also, I liked those towers when I was in Chicago over the summer.
                          Lastly, have you thought about using Stryd for pace/distance (even just for recording, not necessarily in-race reference) in big city marathons with poor GPS reception?

Zebano

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I like the idea of mailing yourself a care package. I think I may emulate your method if I can't get my hotel for CIM to agree to let me ship something to myself there.

I used to ship stuff to my hotel - it was nice to walk into my room and have my box sitting there.  However, one time a hotel claimed to have lost the box, and blamed UPS for delivering it to the wrong place.  (it was eventually tracked down, but only after I walked past an open storage room and saw it sitting there).

So now I either use FedEx to ship to a local FedEx store, or UPS to a UPS store.   That way they only have themselves to blame if it gets lost.

Another benefit of shipping to a FedEx/UPS store - if you end up not traveling to the marathon after all, you can just call up the store, give them your credit card number, and they will ship it back home for you (assuming that you listed home as the return address).

Lastly, have you thought about using Stryd for pace/distance (even just for recording, not necessarily in-race reference) in big city marathons with poor GPS reception?

I tried Stryd a few years back, but decided I liked GPS better.  GPS is more predicably unreliable, if that makes sense. I've had bad experiences with Stryd.  And since I don't look at my watch at all during races, even big city ones, it really doesn't matter what distance my watch shows. If I don't care that much about an exact distance on my watch in races, then I'd rather go with GPS, as it means I just need my watch, not watch+footpod.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm gonna confess that I've heard of My Chemical Romance, but don't actually know anything by them.

In DC/Baltimore 20 years ago, the Goth/Industrial scene overlapped a lot with the rave scene, and so the music skewed electronic, with a heavy emphasis on EBM. It was a very high energy scene with a lot of Front 242, KMFDM (who I am seeing this coming Sunday), Cubanate, Hocico, Velvet Acid Christ, Front Line Assembly, VNV Nation, Rotersand, Apoptygma Berzerk, Tactical Sekt, etc.  We also had a really strong raver scene around 2000, with local talent like Deep Dish, Scott Henry, Charles Feelgood, Richard Morel.

[I'm well aware that probably nobody here knows any of these groups - I was shocked how few people seem to have heard of KMFDM nowadays.]

Ian5

Krash-I am also interested in your 100 training,over the last few years it is something that has intrigued me more and more,and after Tokyo I am going to do a longer race.

Darkwave-Great report,I hope your doctors manage to get you back to full fitness,your new PW is 65 mins faster than mine,but I understand it's all relative to yourself.It was really good chatting to yourself and Dave and getting more understanding of the differences in our countries.

As for me,I arrived back home last night,a bit tired from the journey but not too bad and I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Chicago.

I measured 26.44m which is in line with most marathons,so either I ran the tangents very well or my Polar is better at measuring than most,I have noticed in races it measures closer to the distance than most watches.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39