Just Started Watching Breaking Bad...Help, Please. (Read 474 times)

SheCan

The thing to remember is we watch a role being played by someone then try to think who would be able to replicate it convincingly.  But that's a faulty way to go about it, since the role was defined by an actor and is already set in our minds that way.  Once watched we can't go back and see if someone else could have done the role better.  After all many, including me, could not have imagined "Malcolm'd dad" being the one to pull of WW's role like that.

TV shows which are successful are often the result of the way the casting comes together...and IMHO this is, in many cases, more luck than the skill of those doing the casting.

I totally agree.  Like I said, I think if you change out the actors, that the favor of the show would have changed.  Other talented actors had they been there from the beginning would have imparted their own quirks/personalities into the roles, and could have pulled off an equally high quality show.  But man, now it's really had to imagine it differently. I wish all shows had this level of writing, and would end on a high note, when the story is over instead of being drug out.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

No spoiler here - I would love to see a show about the Vacuum Cleaner Repair guy.

+1

Although I'm intrigued by Better Call Saul, the spinoff I really want to see is the Vacuum Cleaner Guy and Mike Ehrmentraut hanging out and being awesome.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No spoiler here - I would love to see a show about the Vacuum Cleaner Repair guy.

Totally.  We really didn't get to see much about his business.

So we started watching another show.  We finally got together with my MIL for a belated Christmas and she bought my DH the first season of A Game of Thrones on bluray (funny, since I had tried to find the first couple of seasons for him maybe 2 weeks before Christmas and they were sold out everywhere -- instead I bought the entire James Bond catalog in a special 50th anniversary set, since we only own 1 of the films on bluray).  We're maybe halfway through.  It's alright.  It's not drawing me in like BB.  I don't know what it is about the show that doesn't bowl me over.  I find my mind wandering an awful lot.  There are moments when it just feels too over-the-top and borderline cheesy.  Perhaps it's the setting.  I sometimes have the same reaction to the Hobbit films.  I never really felt that way toward the LOTR films, though.  I think BECAUSE VIGGO!!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Although I'm intrigued by Better Call Saul, the spinoff I really want to see is the Vacuum Cleaner Guy and Mike Ehrmentraut hanging out and being awesome.

Hey, if they do it right, that could all be the same show.

Dave

Doc, my tooth hurts

Totally.  We really didn't get to see much about his business.

So we started watching another show.  We finally got together with my MIL for a belated Christmas and she bought my DH the first season of A Game of Thrones on bluray (funny, since I had tried to find the first couple of seasons for him maybe 2 weeks before Christmas and they were sold out everywhere -- instead I bought the entire James Bond catalog in a special 50th anniversary set, since we only own 1 of the films on bluray).  We're maybe halfway through.  It's alright.  It's not drawing me in like BB.  I don't know what it is about the show that doesn't bowl me over.  I find my mind wandering an awful lot.  There are moments when it just feels too over-the-top and borderline cheesy.  Perhaps it's the setting.  I sometimes have the same reaction to the Hobbit films.  I never really felt that way toward the LOTR films, though.  I think BECAUSE VIGGO!!

Try to get caught up through season 3. It's only 10 episodes per season.   If you aren't hooked after season 1, it just might not be for you.

Will run for scenery.

Wow, this thread kinda took off, now, didn't it ?

One of my favorite characters in BB was Mike Ehrmantraut.  I was pretty surprised to see him (Jonathan Banks) in a sitcom.  Almost the same character, but he plays a crusty old criminology professor in Community (which used to feature Chevy Chase).

And in case this thread is drifting dangerously towards the high-brow,  I'll put in my plug for the awesomest show ever : [scrubs]

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Joann Y

Just finished. That was just... that was just great.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In the coming week you will feel like there's a great void in your life.  Only other show that gave me this feeling was The X-Files…and DH and I started re-watching it last night.  2 episodes in, 199 to go!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Me too, finished it last night.

In a way I'm glad its over. It's the first tv series I've watched since Lost and now I'm glad to have a break. There really wasn't room in my life for BB. But it was so good ...

Runners run

Joann Y

Yeah, that must have been at least 50 hours of TV over the course of the last couple weeks. Totally worth it though. But yeah, glad it's done. I've started and stopped at least a half dozen shows in the last few years. Lost was probably the last one I watched all the way through. That was a pretty good ride too, although I didn't feel like getting right back on that ride when it was done. Breaking Bad is/was definitely compelling.

Ostrich runner

Jonathon Banks will be back as Mike Ehrmantraut in Better Call Saul.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Joann Y

Jonathon Banks will be back as Mike Ehrmantraut in Better Call Saul.

Fantastic. Dead mackerel eyes lives again. Can't wait :-)

Be a while before I'm inspired to commit to another show. In the meantime, finally got around to Cormac McCarthy. Figured The Road would offer something nice and bleak to stand up to Breaking Bad. And bleak as hell it is. Recommended.

Joann Y

I don't know if this has already been posted. Bryan Cranston reading Ozymandias by Percy Shelley. Very cool.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DT3dpghfRBHE

The Ozymandias episode hit me in the gut and this poem says it all.

Joann Y

Yes! Better Call Saul will exist outside of death and linear time.

http://www.avclub.com/article/better-call-saul-will-exist-outside-death-and-line-206421