KAH72's Marathon Report (Read 506 times)

Philly Curse

Ok so despite advice from everyone I was stubborn and ran. My foot actually felt really good the whole race. Now onto the race. This was my first marathon ever so I was very pumped at the beginning and went out a little faster than I had liked. I had planned to go out in under 1:40 for the first 13.1, then battle my way to under a 3:30. My inexperience with this distance got the best of me as i felt strong and stayed at a fast pace. Through the first 5 miles, 3 of them were under 7 minutes. I had a feeling this was going to haunt me later, and it did. For the first 14 miles I felt incredible. I went through the half at 1:34:20 with my slowest mile split in the first 13 being 7:27. At mile 14 i began to fall off as my legs got heavy and hard to lift. Miles 14 and 15 were both 8 minute pace, and I felt I could continue that as I was past the hills. However, I was wrong. Mile 16 dropped to 8:42 and then 17 at 9:16. The rest of the way was a constant struggle for me with miles ranging greatly between 8:52 and 9:51, most of them being between 9 and 9:20. I ended up coming in at 3:32:16. A little off my goal, but for being my first ever marathon I am happy. To be honest, the amount of training I did was not adequate for the marathon and I was not persistent. I came from 4 months off of running and jumped right into training. I only had 3 months to prepare and only got about a 330 mile base in. So i am encouraged that I can improve alot with persistance and the knowledge I have gained. Side Note: I tried severl flavors of clif shot's throught the race, as I barely used them on training runs and didn't bring any with me on the race.. However, Double Expresso is NASTY. Vanilla and Strawberry were'nt that good, but Apple Pie was quite tasty. So that's my report... hopefully more marathon's to come...as I got plenty of time. Only 20 years old! Any comments will be appreciated
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That is a fantastic first marathon effort...and on a bum foot and less-than-optimal training. Just think of where you will be for your next marathon! I think you did awesomely! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Philly Curse

Yea that is exactly why I feel like I have alot I can impove upon and was happy with my effort. Gotta look at the positives! Thanks Zoomie
        GP160

Congrats!!! I can only imagine how tough that must have been.. KUDOS! Big grin
          Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
            As runners we are not famous for listening to advice anyway Big grin Fantastic job on your first marathon. Like Kirsten said, imagine where you will be with proper training. Congrats.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Congratulations! You did great with your first marathon, that time is very impressive, bum foot and all. Smile

Michelle

That is a fantastic first marathon effort...and on a bum foot and less-than-optimal training. Just think of where you will be for your next marathon! I think you did awesomely! Big grin k
                ditto this - congrats and great job!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

congrats! Great first marathon time! no advice from me...sounds like you already know what you'll do differently next time...when is the next time? Smile

Jennifer mm#1231

va

Kyle, congrats! I am glad your foot felt good for the race. Impressive first finish. I think you've got a bright future ahead of you!

Philly Curse

Not sure yet...I may try and get one in before I go back to school in May. It's hard to train while at college. Also depends on what the foot doctor says about my foot tomorrow and how much time I may have to take off.
                        NICE TIME for a first marathon Kyle!!! Your going to really kick some a$$ when you get in some proper training for another marathon! Congrats!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Another Passion

Well done! I would be happy with your slow mile splits for my own race in April. Big grin Congratulations on such a great first marathon showing!

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Wow! Impressive ! With some real training you could be even faster .... which is just crazy. Congrats on an impressive debut! Le sigh ... to be 20 again! ** (** I'm 25.)
                            2009: BQ?
                              An excellent performance. Congratulations to you!!!!!

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Me and my gang in Breck

NICE JOB!!! I could feel your pain, OUCH. Great time with the training you had. Imagine how fast you could get. OMG.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."