high heart rate (Read 1043 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You need an EKG and a set of thyroid blood tests. Go see your doctor.
      I agree with Trent....see a doctor....one who has some fitness background. I've always a high heart rate according to all of the charts, but I wanted to be sure since I have a family history of breast cancer and thyroid problems. I also made sure the doctor had some fitness background since from learning from experience they don't totally understand why and where I/we want to go with our fitness. Every year I take in my logbook and let him see what I've been doing. This past year before I injuried my ankle he said at 45 I was in the best shape I had been in for the last 10 years. Big grin So for peace of mind, health and a baseline of where you are at get checked out. Then go run till your heart's content knowing you are fine and only getting better.

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Couldn't hurt to get it checked out by a doctor, maybe an EKG and blood tests like Trent said. I have high max heart rate, around 210-215. My resting heart rate is lower though, lowest I've measured was 50. During my easy runs (conversational pace or a little faster), my heart rate usually averages anywhere from the high 150s to mid 170s depending on the pace and conditions. Brisk walk it's probably 115-120 or so. I've had an EKG, blood work, everything done and the doc thinks it's fine. I do have exercise/cold/allergy/stress/whatever induced asthma and use an inhaler for that occasionally.
          I to have a high hr and have seen 220 on my watch. (isn't that the number you subtract from?) When I ran my half marathon I averaged 178. I don't disagree to get checked out, please do. But know that there are just some people that tend to run high...
          mdmccat
            I'm still learning my heart rates. At a Nov. dr. appt I was told that I have a resting HR of about 43 (can't quite remember the exact but it was low 40s). My HR at an easy running pace stays around 150 and around 165 for medium pace, and has gone up to 190 for tempo runs and some hills (I hate hills). One of these days I'll start keeping track of it. Keep us posted. I'm curious to find out what your dr. says about your high at rest HR. MTA: I do have slight Asthma issues but normally it is only brought about by speed workouts or running in high humidity. I haven't had to use an inhaler since HS. And it only causes mild wheezing - nothing major.

Michelle

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

So - I agree with the physician tests. That said (if you get a green light) I would spend 3 months or so working your aerobic base. I did this a few years ago and then agin a few months ago. I used the Maffetone method which is 180-age. You do not go above that HR - -not matter what. Walk the hills. Stop and walk when it gets above that level. I had tremendous results and my resting HR dropped to 40s-50s. My HR also became less prone to peaks and valleys. Gradually, my pace went from 10-11 min / mile with a max maffetone HR of 145. Eventually (within a few months), I was running 9 minute miles wth the same 145 HR. Was very rewarding and the cardiologist even commented on how well developed my aerobic base was during a fitness / anaerobic threshold (AT) test. After the base is developed you can start mixing in speed work. For that period of time, however, do not add any speedwork / exercise that puts you above the HR. My two cents. Blush

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)
              obiebyke

I have the same heart rate problem! I measured my heart rate late Sunday morning. My last run had been Friday, and I woke up without an alarm, so it should've been nice and low, right? Nope. 80 while still lying in bed! Today I did week 5 day 1 of the couch to 5k program. I always do the 5 minute cooldown at 4mph (I'm using a treadmill so I can monitor my pace--no Garmin yet), then decrease to 3.5mph for a minute, then 3.0...2.5...and end with 2.0 for a minute. Up until now, at the end of that minute walking slowly, my HR is in the low- to mid-120's. Today I could NOT get it below 135, even when I extended the cooldown by several minutes. Other things to know: I'm 25, female, thin but not athletic. EKG is normal. Blood pressure is normal to low. I've had a high heart rate as long as I can remember. Totally relate to having a higher heart rate, by FAR, than anyone in my high school bio class. I also always get dizzy working out. Always. What's the deal? Should I worry? Is there a way to fix this? Don't worry--I'll absolutely mention it to my doc and request that they order a thyroid test among the blood screenings (although it's been normal before). Lauren--let me know how your heart rate thing shakes out. I'm curious.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Good to hear there's someone so similar to me. I should mention that I've had heart tests (including an EKG when I was in the hospital for a kidney infection) and my doctor tested my thyroid a few years ago, so everything is medically okay. Oh, and I also have moderate to low blood pressure (which may contribute to dizziness). The past few days, I've been swimming easy laps in the pool at the YWCA. I figure I'll use that to supplement a very easy and slow return to running.
                  obiebyke

For what it's worth: I just got off the phone with my dad, who's a doc (a neurologist, it's true, but still). He also had triple bypass surgery five years ago and has done careful, cardiologist-monitored cardiovascular rehab ever since. What he has to say (about several things!): A normal resting heart rate is 70-80 bpm, unless you're an elite athlete. Also, often what wakes you up in the morning (if not an alarm) is a dream, so your "resting" heart rate might be actually a little elevated. He says his cardiologists have told him that the best thing for your heart health is to do 20 minutes of exercise 4-5 times a week at a heart rate of 200 minus your age. Any much lower than 200-age is too little, and anything much more can actually do damage. And never run 7 days a week. This is a guy who thinks most supplements are BS (you'd love him, Trent), but he says that research shows that chondroitin may be the exception. Research has shown that it actually DOES help your joints. I think that's it. Except that he is probably going to buy me a Garmin 305 for my upcoming bday. Yeeha! It's great to have a doc daddy who also loves gadgetry!

I tested my resting heart rate two days ago. I took it right before bed (after reading in bed for a while) and it was 48. When I woke up it was actually higher, around 52. It was probably higher from my alarm going off and me reaching over and smacking it. Tongue
                      obiebyke

Dang! That must mean you're elite! You certainly are sweaty. Tongue Maybe I should cut down on the caffeine. Or maybe I'm still working years of nicotine out of my system. Or maybe you're just more hardcore than I am.

If by elite you mean slow newbie, then yes, I am elite. Big grin
                          obiebyke

Are you aware that you have a 23:17 5K? Don't talk to me about slow. Wink

I tested my resting heart rate two days ago. I took it right before bed (after reading in bed for a while) and it was 48. When I woke up it was actually higher, around 52. It was probably higher from my alarm going off and me reaching over and smacking it. Tongue
                              a surge of adrenaline is release in your body in the morning. Your BP and HR will sometimes be slightly elevated as a result of this. It is also what helps you wake up in the morning. The best time to get a low BP reading or your lowest resting heart rate is in the evening after being seated and resting for at least 5 minutes.