'Arthritis risk' for middle-aged exercise addicts (Read 684 times)

skygazer

Huh.  I know cyclists generally have lower bone density than runners, since cycling is not weight-bearing (and it's a BIG reason why I still run in some capacity, instead of dedicating all of my workout time to the bike).  This is the case for swimmers, as well.  But are they comparing cyclists to the typical mostly sedentary person?  I can't imagine how an active cyclist could have lower bone density than a sofa-surfer.

Yep. Compared to regular sofa-surfers, cyclists have low bone density. Most sofa-surfers are heavy, with avg BMI >30. Competitive cyclists, while may be more muscular than competitive runners, have to stay reasonably lean. With same BMI, I'd say cyclists may have an edge over sofa surfers.

BTW2, from an academic study I read, young female "endurance" athletes (endurance athletes tend to be lean compared to those in other sports that rely more on power for performance) tend to have early stage of osteoporosis even if they are not under weight. And the link may lie in the low body fat.

Uhmmm, do you think your running cause the arthritis in your fingers?

No.  However having too much body fat might.  People who are obese are also more likely to have hand OA (as well as OA in other joints) most likely due to a tie-in with metabolic syndrome and the inflammatory factors released by fat cells.  So whatever your opinion on running and OA of the knee, hip, ankle or spinal degeneration (I vote for running not being a major risk factor) I would say that exercise of some form (running included), healthy diet and weight management/body fat management will help the hand as well as the other joints.

Being bedridden causes the cartilage of your joints to thin...a hallmark of OA.  Cartilage needs stimulation in the form of mechanical loading in order for the cells in it to make all the components of cartilage.  Running can provide that stimulation (and, like Zoom Zoom said it can also provide the loading necessary to help prevent osteoporosis by stimulating bone cell activity).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

kcam

Maybe too much running forum-surfing and not enough running?

I think that people that develop knee or hip or sometimes foot problems that can be attributed to running probably have significant running form deficiencies.  I see it so often out on the trails and roads - this horrible splaying out of legs/feet/elbows.  I think those types of runners are almost guaranteed to develop some kind of skeletal injury if they run a lot of miles.  Am I totally off-base here?  It seems that the long-term runners usually have a very small degree of what would be considered form problems.  Don't know that you can really correct this, maybe you're just born to be a runner or you're not?

beachrun

I mean, obviously your other joints that you use for running have no sign of arthritis but the finger joints that you don't use for running do, and you're thinking you should switch to a different exercise to protect those good joints from getting bad? Regardless what the science you read says about arthritis, I'd say you're doing okay for the knees so far.

BTW, I read from an NYT article that says (competitive) bikers have lower bone density and tend to fracture their bones than the normal population.

Well, my finger joints start to get a little sore after some heavy work.  I work with my hands for a living and after a long day of tool use I start to feel it.  And it is mostly in my right hand, which gets the bulk of the use and it really is pretty minor. But your point is taken....it is just as likely that the arthritis would be there regardless and only gets noticed when those joints are under stress.

The other thing is that I've only been running for four years.  Before that I was a biker and hiker only.   I wonder if the signs of arthritis (x ray, slight ache and crinkling sounds) in the neck are from biking.  Between the mt bike and the hunched-over road bike position and holding the head up it probably put some heavy pressure on the discs there.

I went for a run today after a too long break.  Did six miles through the woods.  I took it slow but it felt great.  My knees feel fine.  My brain is much much happier.  I smiled.  I like it too much to give it up on such shaky science.  Hearing the stories here about how it helps them helps me with the decision to just keep going.  Thanks all.  I think I'll just look for a well cushioned trail shoe.  I have been running in very minimal trail shoes (Innov8  184? Talons)

I think that people that develop knee or hip or sometimes foot problems that can be attributed to running probably have significant running form deficiencies.  I see it so often out on the trails and roads - this horrible splaying out of legs/feet/elbows.  I think those types of runners are almost guaranteed to develop some kind of skeletal injury if they run a lot of miles.  Am I totally off-base here?  It seems that the long-term runners usually have a very small degree of what would be considered form problems.  Don't know that you can really correct this, maybe you're just born to be a runner or you're not?

I think many folks can get surprisingly good results from just one or two VERY simple changes -- a slightly shorter stride, or a more efficient arm motion.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sis?

Wow, you perfectly described my mom.  She's even exactly the same age.

My mom is a living, breathing cautionary tale for me.  She is an example of what I don't want to become.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

beachrun

Funny thing.  I think my my middle finger joint gets sore from using the mouse pad.

And I think you are right.  I think some folks are just better suited for running than others.  I like to think I have good form.  But just recently I got one of those inversion tables where you hang by your feet.  I notice that more of my weight seems to hang by my right foot.  This makes sense if I like most folks? have a leg length difference.  I know my right leg is definitely stronger.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep. Compared to regular sofa-surfers, cyclists have low bone density. Most sofa-surfers are heavy, with avg BMI >30. Competitive cyclists, while may be more muscular than competitive runners, have to stay reasonably lean. With same BMI, I'd say cyclists may have an edge over sofa surfers.

BTW2, from an academic study I read, young female "endurance" athletes (endurance athletes tend to be lean compared to those in other sports that rely more on power for performance) tend to have early stage of osteoporosis even if they are not under weight. And the link may lie in the low body fat.

Ahhh...yes.  And this ties in a bit with the thread about it being generally healthier to be a little bit overweight than a little bit underweight.  The stats on mortality after a hip fracture in elderly folks is pretty upsetting.

I'm sittin' pretty, here.  On the heavier side of healthy weight with amazing blood work and regularly engaging in weight-bearing exercise. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Better I Leave

My mom is a living, breathing cautionary tale for me.  She is an example of what I don't want to become.

+1000

I'm with you there. My mother is only 71 and already in a skilled nursing facility. She's got out of control diabetes, one leg amputated earlier last year as a result of diabetes, going blind, no sensation in her extremities...and completely sedentary. I have tried for years to get her to exercise as a means of controlling her diabetes but she won't do it.

My father as well. He's 75, a smoker, and sedentary. He can't even bend over and tie shoes without becoming winded. He's a sugar fiend and has lost all his teeth as a result (just my opinion).

My folks are where they are because of lifestyle choices...And I have learned from their choices.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Be careful about jumping to conclusions about osteoporosis. There was a time that health practitioners assumed that dense bones = strong bones, but density doesn't correlate exactly with strength and resiliency.  Dense but brittle bones aren't what we want.

DoppleBock

I would agree that there is some level of risk for Arthritis in anything highly repetitive or impactful.  Some people are cerebral, emotional, spiritual or physical animals.  Some a nice blend.  If you are a physical animal its hard to ignore your physicallity.  Any day that I do not get a nice dose of physicallity I feel balh and unfuffilled.

Middle-aged excercise addict

I guess anyone who knows me would say this is me.

1)  I love being physical - Lifting Weights, Court Sports, Water Sports, Anything Aerobic.

2)  I am and always have been over-weight for a runner (205-240 avg 215)

3)  I spend a lot of time being physical

4)  I tend to ignore pain or injury warning signs

Happiness and Quality of life.  I think it depends on how much I suffer when I am > 50.

But currently, I am looking to expand the acitivies I am physical at and reduce the hours spend running each week.  This is a choice about quality (enjoyment) of life now and for the future.  I am trying to incorporate more low impact sports.

To other people's point - I would guess I would have shot knees sooner if I had not taken action 10 years ago when I weighed > 300#.  But eventually I will have arthritis in my knees.  When I broke my radial head and sheared the cartilage in my elbow last year, the doc said he could see a fair amount of arthritis in my right elbow already ... Funny I have never had any pain in it before that.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Right knee diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Last run was April 26( Sweetwater 50k April 19). I have walked  a few days. Will not attempt to run again until a week before July 4th( Peachtree Road Race). It will be 25 consecutive.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

My hips were X-rayed as part of trying to get to the bottom of hip/sciatic issues I have been having.  They said that the amount of arthritis evident was normal to less than normal for my age.  This despite somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70K miles over 23 years of consistent running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Happiness and Quality of life.  I think it depends on how much I suffer when I am > 50.

But currently, I am looking to expand the acitivies I am physical at and reduce the hours spend running each week.  This is a choice about quality (enjoyment) of life now and for the future. 

Thanks

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

48 yrs old. I have 8000 + miles logged here at least another 10000 between 1986 when i started running and 2008 when i started my log here. I run pretty much every day. Played hockey and lacrosse in college, 5 years as an infantry marine where we walked to any training event less than 15 miles away with all our gear. I've probably played at least 1000 pick up and beer league hockey games since getting out of college, plus 100 adult lacrosse games, etc. So a lifetime of abuse.  My  right knee feels great all the time my left hurts once in a while since I hurt it last October... it killed for a couple of months, but I barely even notice it now.

Oh yeah, my ortho was going to operate on  my left bicep tendon 4 yrs ago after MRIs in both shoulders revealed a high grade tear( 50% or greater)  in my left shoulder and a low grade tear in right, plus cartilage damage and arthritis in both (60 year old shoulders he said). Been lifting weights ever since. Shoulders feel great.

i'm not sure what this means, except that, no, I'm not going to stop because of that study (or the WSJ cheeseburger article) and I'm still gunning for a BQ so I'll keep crushing the miles and training until I get it.