Right Toes *Hurt*! (Read 1107 times)

I haven't seen a dr. yet or anything and have absolutely no clue to what may be going on, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had this kind of thing happen. I'm thinking maybe it's the wrong shoe syndrome?? When I run, guaranteed after just about an hour, the toes on my right foot start hurting. It's almost funny- I don't even need a watch. Right on cue, one hour later, pain! Eventually, they hurt so bad that i literally have to *stop* running. The rest of me can go, but my foot can't! If it gets really bad, they go kinda numb (like when I don't listen to them!). I have wide feet and so I'm wondering if even though I have wide Saucony running shoes, maybe I STILL need a wider shoe on the right foot?! If I go up a size in length (vs width), then I just end up tripping a lot, so can't do that. My socks are a little padded, so maybe I'll try a thinner sock next time out. I actually had to go buy longer laces as I've loosened up my shoes so much! My left foot's fine, but my right foot does feel a little cramped. I'm wondering if it's the shoe, but sometimes out of the blue when I'm just around the house not in the shoes, my toes will feel a little numb too. Could that just be an after effect if you're wearing the wrong shoes? Or more likely a foot problem? I'm thinking shoes because it's happening 90% when I've got them on vs. off, but I'd sure hate to have to buy two pair of shoes every time just for my picky right foot. I've had the shoes creeping up on probably a year, but have only really started using them consistently vs. a random here and there. The soles don't really show much wear and though I'm unsure of the mileage, I know it hasn't been a lot. Thanks for any ideas! Smile
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So they're feeling squished side-to-side, or is the pain sort of all-over? I haven't run into that issue and I also have wide feet (I am a New Balance girl, as a result--pretty much ALL of their shoes are available in wide and extra-wide widths). What type of shoe is it? Maybe they are too stiff or not stiff enough? Does it feel like muscular pain (ie your toes are doing a lot of work), or more soft tissue issues? I do know that one can have stress fractures in the toe bones of the feet, but I think you'd probaby feel that further into your foot and not so much into the actual toes. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

So they're feeling squished side-to-side, or is the pain sort of all-over? I haven't run into that issue and I also have wide feet (I am a New Balance girl, as a result--pretty much ALL of their shoes are available in wide and extra-wide widths). What type of shoe is it? Maybe they are too stiff or not stiff enough? Does it feel like muscular pain (ie your toes are doing a lot of work), or more soft tissue issues? I do know that one can have stress fractures in the toe bones of the feet, but I think you'd probaby feel that further into your foot and not so much into the actual toes. k
        I guess they're just feeling squished all over...at first it's not bad, but when they're huring it feels like they don't have enough room. Although...now that you say that, a couple days ago I did notice that on my right shoe at the crease where your toes bend, the shoe material is more "rigid" (not sure how to describe this), or taut and bunched up more vs. the other shoe is more smooth. So I'm thinking that's just another clue it's not wide enough. You'd think this would be obvious, but I'm ok when I first start out. These shoes are Saucony Grid Trigon Rides. I'm all about cushioning and this shoe (apparently) has it. I've always had Sauconys and even have bought their running shoes for walking as they've been so comfortable. I did try the New Balance on in the store (forget which one) but I went back to the Saucony. Hard to break old habits! Maybe it's time though! I don't know if I'd say it feels my toes are doing a lot of work. They're just there more for the ride! LOL I actually find myself trying not to put pressure on them. So naturally, I'm worried about eventual injury because I feel like I'm trying to manipulate my gait so my rt toes don't hurt. It does seem like you'd feel a fracture more in your foot...but maybe not? I've slammed my toes into things so many times (I'm a bit of a clutz) and several times they've turned blue! I thought they were just bruised and moved on with life, but maybe I did something to them! I hate seeing drs....but like I told my hubby this a.m., I can't keep going like this! My toes are screwing my runs up! Tongue Maybe I'll head to the running store tomorrow and see if they can evaluate my shoes for me. I also thought maybe trying a guys shoe as they come about a half width wider than women's in the same size...but hard finding a little enough one (I take 6.5 womens). Maybe a boys!? Do they make good running shoes for kids? Hmm.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What running store have you been to? I know Eryn/backroadrunner swears by Gazelle. There is one in GR, Kzoo, and Holland. They would probably be the best place to get you into the right shoe (assuming that your current ones aren't already perfect for your needs). As for doctors, who do you see? I really like Dr. Schaub in Montague. He's retired military (Army, I think) and quite athletic for a guy in his late 40s--he's been on crutches at least 2 times that I've been in the office due to snowboarding injuries and my hubby has encountered him at least once during the Summer while out on his road bike. I was just in yesterday for a 6 month allergy follow-up and we talked a bit about my running...he warned me about stress fractures in women and told me not to increase my mileage too much, too fast (this was after I told him I'd run over 17 miles this past weekend). I then reassured him and told him that I'm lucky to increase my miles much more than 5%, most weeks, and that I'd been doing some cross-training over the Winter months. He said several times that I looked great (not in a pervy way, LOL) and that he was so happy to see me working hard, staying fit, and entering races. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

I've slammed my toes into things so many times (I'm a bit of a clutz) and several times they've turned blue! I thought they were just bruised and moved on with life, but maybe I did something to them!
            I couldn't quite tell, but it sounds like pain is more inside your toes (like a problem with the bones/tendons), not on the surface (blister, etc)? If so, I'd see a doctor before dropping anymore money on new shoes! Shocked From what I understand, it's not uncommon to break the smaller toes and not even know it. My mother broke her middle toe years ago and was unaware of it. It healed wrong, leaving the toe stiffer than usual, and she never would have known except the stiffness made her walk slightly crooked, causing plantar fasciitis which she consulted a podiatrist about. Or you might have injured/irritated the tendons that connect between the bones. Do you have any inflammation/swelling? Some simple x-rays and some other basic questions and your doc will be able to figure this out. I'm not claiming I can diagnose your situation (over the internet.. that'd be a heck of a trick!). I'm just saying you should really get it checked out. "Wrong shoe syndrome" (I like that, by the way!) is always a likely possibility, but if you're consistently having pain and numbness then you don't want to mess around. Make an appointment with a doctor (preferably one who understands running and won't tell you to stop). And bring in your running log? Whatever you decide.. let us know how it works out! Big grin

Prophet!

if its a shoe width problem - if you like the trigon ride maybe try the Asics Cumulus - same type of shoes. I have super wide feet, almost like a seal's flappers (in fact i should probably start swimming instead of running)..but the Cumulus toebox is wide and i have not have problems with blisters, toe pains, etc..
                Vicente, yes, you're right. Inside the toes, not a matter of blisters or other problems on the exterior. I can't say that I have any unusual swelling, just the regular swelling around mid afternoon when you've been on your feet awhile. I went ahead and made an appt. with my physician, although I'm not sure how much faith i have in her. We just moved here not long ago and she was just somebody I randomly "picked". We'll see how it goes though. Even if I could get a simple xray at least the fractures could be ruled out. Anyhow, we'll see what happens and I'll let you know! Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. Kirsten, my doc isn't local, just someone i blindly picked when i moved here. Maybe I'll check yours out sometime. It'd be nice to have someone nearby! How is that office as far as getting in, having phone calls returned, does the dr. take enough time with you, is he pretty conservative in that he doesn't just whip you in the room, prescribe a pill, and whip you out vs. taking into consideration other contributing factors to an "ailment"? I didn't describe that well but hope you know what I mean. In other words, do you feel he actually takes the time to figure the reason why something's happening vs. just treating a symptom of it? I have reasons for asking this, but I'll spare everyone my personal medical experience(s)! Smile I haven't heard of Gazelle sports. Have you been there? I was going to head down to G.Haven to Running Circles. Have you heard anything about that place? We were going to maybe head there today but think I'll wait till my appt is done with the doc! SurfNRun, you have to be telepathic! That's the shoe that I've had my eye on thinking if I tried another, that would be it! I'm with you! My wide feet would probably be better for swimming, but I like running more! LOL Big grin
                Gig

I'm just getting back into serious (for me) running, and at first I had pain in some of my toes. The same thing happened to methe last time I got back into running. Both times, the solution was to stop tying my shoes so darn tight. The solution for you might not be that simple, but it would be great if it were. Gig
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten, my doc isn't local, just someone i blindly picked when i moved here. Maybe I'll check yours out sometime. It'd be nice to have someone nearby! How is that office as far as getting in, having phone calls returned, does the dr. take enough time with you, is he pretty conservative in that he doesn't just whip you in the room, prescribe a pill, and whip you out vs. taking into consideration other contributing factors to an "ailment"? I didn't describe that well but hope you know what I mean. In other words, do you feel he actually takes the time to figure the reason why something's happening vs. just treating a symptom of it? I have reasons for asking this, but I'll spare everyone my personal medical experience(s)! Smile I haven't heard of Gazelle sports. Have you been there? I was going to head down to G.Haven to Running Circles. Have you heard anything about that place? We were going to maybe head there today but think I'll wait till my appt is done with the doc!
                    Gazelle is great! I was just in the one in Holland a few days ago to pick up some GU while we were having work done on our car at Crown Motors. They were having a sale on Smartwool stuff and I would have bought some stuff if I hadn't recently purchased some socks online (cheaper online, but nice to buy locally). The problem I have with Running Circles is that they don't carry much and no New Balance shoes (for my own wide duck-feet). Their prices are pretty steep, too. But they do sponsor a lot of local races, so I try to buy a bit here and there. I have also had bad experiences with docs...don't even get me started on the bastard OB that I had with my son. He is a big part of the reason we stopped with one kid (that and the fact that VBACs are verboten at both local hospitals). But I really like Dr. Schaub. I have actually talked about trying to keep him as my PCP once we eventually move down closer to my hubby's work, but that would mean a 45 minute drive for each appt., so I don't know how practical that would be. He's really done a good job at helping me get to the bottom of my sinus/allergy issues. As a result I haven't had to be on antibiotics in over a year--this is down from 2-3 routines every year. He talks VERY fast...almost like he's hyperactive (and I seriously think he might be), but he's a great listener and he remembers EVERYTHING. You can tell that he truly sees his patients as individuals. Maybe that's a small town practice thing, but I'm impressed. I've never had a problem getting in on short notice, either. And each time I've had bloodwork done for things I've had results pretty much within 2-3 days. I really like his office staff, too. The fact that he's an active guy also helps. I have no doubt that if you went in that he wouldn't tell you to stop running, but would definitely try to get to the bottom of your problem. Or at the very least he would refer you to someone who could help. k

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

My toes on my right foot always hurt too. Mostly the second toe. I think that I must turn funny somewhere between when my foot goes down and then back up again. Kind of like a twist in the middle. I notice it when it's time to buy new shoes. Perhaps they get worn down???? Oh, I also a 'strange blister like ridge' on the top of that same toe also. It's gross. Oh well. That toe nail also falls off too and then grows back. Dead If you do to a doctor and he tells you something useful then pass it along. Smile Thanks! PS I have Women's ASICS GEL-Trabuco IX. I prefer the thick socks that Smartwool puts out. The thinner ones make my toes worse. Good luck!
                      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                        My toes on my right foot always hurt too. Mostly the second toe. I think that I must turn funny somewhere between when my foot goes down and then back up again. Kind of like a twist in the middle. I notice it when it's time to buy new shoes. Perhaps they get worn down???? Oh, I also a 'strange blister like ridge' on the top of that same toe also. It's gross. Oh well. That toe nail also falls off too and then grows back. Dead If you do to a doctor and he tells you something useful then pass it along. Smile Thanks!
                        jillybean, that sounds like me years ago. It was always my second toe, I didn't have the blister I don't think...but the toenail would always fall off. This is going to sound kinda simple, but I just started buying a half size bigger shoe which seemed to give my toes more room. I've had no more problems (well, that kind of problem anyway....the thing I've got going now is different!). When I started out running, I didn't have anyone help me with shoes...just went out and tried some on and bought them. Every shoe's different, just like clothing, so I've found just because you take one size in "x" brand, you might take another in "y" brand. After I went 1/2 size up, problem disappeared. I have an appt with a foot dr this month to take a look at my foot, so I'll post the results on here when I find out. Smile
                        JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

You're right, the bigger shoe did help. I had forgotten that. I figure if the worst injury I have is a gross toe, then that's not too bad! Doesn't slow me down at all. Smile Good luck at the doctor!
                          "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                          LCLindley

It sounds like you have a nueroma - a permanently aggravated nerve. I have one in my left foot. Try lacing your shoes starting with the second row up instead of the bottome row. That should alleviate the problem.
                              It sounds like you have a nueroma - a permanently aggravated nerve. I have one in my left foot. Try lacing your shoes starting with the second row up instead of the bottome row. That should alleviate the problem.
                              LC, THANK YOU!! I had re-laced my shoes before, but it never occured to me to just not lace them! I actually didn't lace the first two rows up and while it didn't make the pain disappear, it made it so I could at least keep running about 90% more comfortably than before. I'm changing my "outside" shoes to that type of lacing too! Thanks so much for the suggestion.
                              LCLindley

No problem. It sucks! I feel for you - at least, my left foot does.