Speed/hill/fartleks (Read 1073 times)

I would say that unless you're doing a real "pure speed" workout such as mile paced reps with long/full recoveries,your average pace for any run where you include some speed--whether it be strides, tempos, tempo intervals, cruise intervals, or even long intervals on the track--should always be faster than for any easy run. I would suggest that if this is not the case, you are probably running your easy days too fast. The more fast running I include, the faster my average pace tends to be for a given run. Due to time constraints and trying to get as much out of about 50-55 mpw as possible, the runs in which I include the most speed also tend to by my two longest runs of the week (not accicentally.) So my fastest run of the week is generally my long run, my second fastest is my mid-week long run, my third fastest are the two days I include "strides" and my three slowest runs of the week are my easy 45-minute recovery runs.

Runners run

I run a 1.2 mile loop that is half up hill and half down hill. Three to four laps and I've gotten a good workout.
        thanks for al the input. i guess you would have to call mine interval more the fartlek then. So now i have to ad another routine to my running program Cry...that is cool the more varitey the better runner i will become, thanks again for the input.That is what is so great about this site, have a question or an idea and you can get an honest answer or opinion..I love it Big grin
          here is a question for you all. When you do your fartlek workout do you worry about your distance and time or your workout. I did my 5k run tonight and incorporated my fartlek workout and my time was 4 min slower then my steady run. Is this normal or I'm I doing something wrong. Thanks. Surprised
          My fartlek runs, few & far between as they are, are usually slower overall. I attribute this to my strong dislike of running really fast! Wink I think I slow down alot after the fast running because I do it so seldom & dislike it so much, so it makes my overall times slower. I say, every month, that I'm going to incorporate more speed & hill training into my routine...and I never do!! I think though, that my usual routes have just enough hills in them that I'm getting a decent amount of hill training. I have noticed in both my 25K & 10mi races that I tend to pull ahead on hills, where most people my pace are either slowing way down or walking up hills. I hit the hill, really start using my arms & digging in & pass by all of them. Of course, they are likely to pass me later, just not on the hills! So that is my twisted logic for not incorporating additional hill training. Sound logical to anyone with a less twisted mind??
          So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
          Scout7

Don't look up. Just look at the ground about 4 feet in front of you and concentrate on using those fantastic butt muscles we all have...
            Or, take my race strategy, and focus on the fantastic but muscles of other runners 4 feet in front of you. Oh, and speed work is the debil. Save me Jebus.