Broken wrists are dumb. (Read 604 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I was planning on that through Spring, so it's not going to have a huge negative effect on plans in the near future. No driving my car for a while. Right wrist fracture + stick.

Just leave it in second. You'll be fine.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xhristopher

I was planning on that through Spring, so it's not going to have a huge negative effect on plans in the near future. No driving my car for a while. Right wrist fracture + stick.

Sucks.

I bet you will be shifting with the cast in less than a week.

There's a friendly guy down at your LBS who wants to get you a new trainer for Christmas but if he offers you a ride I wouldn't take him up on it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a love/hate relationship with my CycleOps.

I'll find out tomorrow AM a more complete prognosis.  I wonder if my lifestyle and risk of future falls will make surgery a more likely option.  The Ti plate crowd is growing in our circle of friends.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Just sayin'.

You are healthy and should heal. If it is your distal radius, ask your sport/ortho doc about an ultrasound bone stimulator. In acute distal radius fractures, level 1 trial vs placebo showed it to cut healing time by around 30 days or provide around a 40% acceleration in healing.  It would depend on your insurance but this product is FDA approved to treat acute distal radius fractures. Many plans will cover it. Just food for thought! PM me if questions.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It is, T.  Fortunately it looks like surgery won't be necessary, just a cast in a week, once swelling is down.  I've also heard good things bout bone stimulators.  Anything to get me back in action faster!  SO flippin' bored!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

You should be congratulated for your ability to post with one hand while on drugs.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You should be congratulated for your ability to post with one hand while on drugs.

My non-dominant hand, nonetheless.  I'm getting good with the mouse, too.  Penmanship is even more atrocious, however.

~ Sarah Kay

Better I Leave

...Anything to get me back in action faster!  SO flippin' bored!

I feel your "pain" my friend. My ortho surgeon told me not to expect any heavy weightlifting for another 3 months!!! AAAARGH! LOL!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I feel your "pain" my friend. My ortho surgeon told me not to expect any heavy weightlifting for another 3 months!!! AAAARGH! LOL!

I'll bet!  One of the other members here broke her wrist in 7 spots and has a Ti plate.  3 months later she still can't do push-ups or planks.

~ Sarah Kay

dennrunner

ewe, sorry.

And with a lack of social skills...I ask:  How's the bike?

SMART Approach

It is, T.  Fortunately it looks like surgery won't be necessary, just a cast in a week, once swelling is down.  I've also heard good things bout bone stimulators.  Anything to get me back in action faster!  SO flippin' bored!

Nice break! I that break a lot see  and often surgery is done with plating. I am assuming the on call ortho was able to set it well with closed reduction.  It does not look like it has spread intraarticular (within joint). If it was comminuted and into the joint, surgery would be more likely. That would not be a good thing long term with increased risk of OA.  You may have a little avulsion fracture too at distal ulna?????

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

ewe, sorry.

And with a lack of social skills...I ask:  How's the bike?

Without a scratch...I protected the bike -- priorities!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You may have a little avulsion fracture too at distal ulna?????

Yup, good eye.  ER doc really did a good job resetting everything.  I am in awe looking at the afters they did in hospital and today.

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Pictures!  This thread is no longer useless. Smile