2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Houston ladies ~ Did you notice much damage?

To the city?  No.  Apparently downtown wasn't affected save for the Buffalo Bayou area.  There could have been damage elsewhere that we ran through, but I didn't notice.  When you run past a boarded-up building, you don't necessarily know why it's boarded up.

To me?  Yes. I'm a mess.  6 easy this am at 9:27 pace (so ~3 minutes slowed than HM race pace), and I don't think I could have run any faster if I needed to.  Also did upper body weights/core.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

I think the Clearwater races are this weekend if you're still down there.  I recommend the 50k...

11:11 3,000 (recent)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Hi Keen and everyone else!  Yeah, I'm lurking again, though basically from mid-December until just a few days ago I was not around at all.  As some of you know (maybe I mentioned it here, I don't recall, but I did on FB) my mother fainted from low BP and fell on December 7th (my father's email to the family about it included the phrase "a day that will live in infamy") and then on December 17th, one day before my mother was to be released from a nursing facility where she was getting PT rehab, my father suffered a cerebral hemorrhage.  My brother who lives in VA and is the local help for our parents phoned me, and I got on a plane the next day. I did not actually expect to spend the next four weeks with my parents, but I'm glad I did, and I feel fortunate to have been able to do so, even though holy crap that was hard and I'm still catching up on sleep.  I'm still helping remotely with things I can do online or on the phone, but I hired a full-time CNA to assist Dad (who now needs a wheelchair and cannot walk very far even with a walker, and more worryingly has difficulty retaining short-term memories, along with other cognitive failings) so I was able to come home.

My time was almost entirely spent dealing with a successive string of crises, so I only managed to run three times, with 20 minutes my longest.  Needless to say that between the deconditioning and the return to altitude, my few runs since I've been back have been slow and painful.  (On the other hand, I think my sfx is completely healed!)  I don't anticipate running another marathon until at least next year if at all, and certainly not in the 3:20 vicinity, so I'm not planning to participate in the thread this year though I may lurk from time to time.

Congratulations to DWave and Elizabeth on your recent PRs!

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

ilanarama - sorry to hear about your parents, and I hope they make as good a recovery as possible!

OMR

ilana:  Sorry to hear about your parents, can't imagine how stressful that must have been.  Glad to hear the sfx is fully healed, however, and hopefully this means a return to 3:20 land at some point in the future!

Dwave:  You earned the mess you find yourself in right now. 

Hey to everyone.

I can't decide if I should start running tomorrow.  The benchmark for me has been if I can stand flatfooted on my left foot with my weight on my heel and bend my knee without pain.  Mostly just tightness now...maybe it's time to feed the brain...

Hello new on here, introduced myself on the intro thread.  I won't bore you again with all that.  Quick summary:  Coming back from "career" (LOL) ending injury to try to BQ again.

Eliz-I feel like I know you!  I follow you on IG, actually you are one of the very few runners I follow.   The girl running thing on there is just downright weird to me at times.  Congrats on PR, I was pulling for you!

DWave-congrats on your race as well.  Very impressive!   I enjoyed reading your intro, we seem to have a few things in common.  (injuries and horse shows...)

Ilana--I am very sorry to read about your parents.  I am starting to have the same issue with my mom and it is hard to be far away.

Keen--I can totally relate to your comment about shoehorning runs in!  No little ones, just a job when I never know when I go in or get off.  I  had to learn to embrace the solo night runs--and I HATE solo dark running!

For me this week it is just the same, steady she goes building the base back up.  I do have a silly 5K this weekend which will just be a workout.   This getting back on the horse thing is not for wimps!  

Roz.

A 3:20 Slowpoke

Ilana- very sorry about the family challenges.  Please lurk and participate here whenever you feel the need.  You’ll be missed.

Roz - Welcome!

BAA 5k -  yep I signed up.  Not the sharpest tool in the shed here.......

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18

fb-guy

Ilana -- nice to see you here, but very sorry to hear about your parents. That's tough. As an old-timer who doesn't do Facebook, it's nice staying caught up with people. I hope you get back out there soon just to enjoy some running.

OMR -- my thing is 100% celiac. I went 2:55 (2014), 3:19 (2015), 4:09 (2016) and struggled to run 4@9:30 the first half of 2017. I was in/out of the medical system for a couple of years trying to figure it out (heart, blood, pituitary, hormones, diet, etc.) but no one could explain it. About six months ago I cut gluten as a last ditch attempt, and I've been getting stronger ever since. A bunch of other problems also went away, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. Touch wood. I still get light-headed when I over-do it, but hopefully I can slowly rebuild some endurance and maybe run a decent marathon one of these days. All good!

And a question. My Apple Watch/apps track VO2max. Does anybody look at that? Is it helpful? Or is it another one of those "mine's bigger things". My memories that VO2max is the maximum amount of oxygen that you can deliver to your cells for energy and that it can go up over time with higher intensity training (unlike max heart rate, which is genetic, fixed, and declines over the years). Any tips?

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen Moby. It was given to us by her aunt along with one or two others.  It must be an older version because the logo is different on ours, plus her oldest kid is 18 and the next is like 13 so she probably bought it when they were born. Looking at the instructions it's the same. Worked for me for an hour of walking just fine. It is convenient since it's a one size fits all and it holds the kid both directions. I'm not sure I will want to carry NeRP when he starts weighing 20 lbs and can sit up in a stroller but apparently it's possible.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - I'm glad you stopped by, and that your hip is healed. Sorry to hear about your parents, though. Your Dad seems to have a dark sense of humor; I'm sure he and I could get along.

Rozzie - Hi! Solo runs, especially in the dark when I can turn off my headlamp, are my favorites! I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, or even safe for most, though.

FB - I don't pay too much attention to the Vo2 max my Garmin spits out, but that number going up can be a good indication of increasing fitness, in general. I've noticed that mine takes a nosedive when the summer heat hits, then rises as I get used to the heat and as the season progresses before maxing out and lowering after a fall goal race. I do wish that I could come close to the race predictions Garmin has, though!

Brew - DW has something similar. I haven't used it myself, but she loves it. I couldn't imagine carrying a kiddo in such a thing once they hit 20+ pounds either.

Nifty that you know of CCR and Jason Boland. I listened to those guys a ton from high school and after.

I have yet to come up with a permanent, personal nickname for DD3. Sad story.

Coffee - I picked up an aeropress yesterday and have been making Americano's like a fiend ever since. I may have a problem. Does anyone have a local (to them) coffee roaster I could use to further my habit?

ETA: I bought a copy of Daniel's book and am about to start going through it. I'll likely use it to structure the rest of at least this cycle.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen I'm sure a lot of people from your part of the country are surprised people outside the Bible belt know of them. I saw CCR in Stateline, NV with about 25 other people. I got a shot of Jager the guitarist (Grady?) turned down and grabbed the set list and mailed it to the guy who introduced me to them. First time I saw Jason Boland (2003 at Midnight Rodeo) buddies told me it would be a good show if he started off with "It takes a lot of thought to write a love song this special." I wish they would tour west of El Paso though. CCR only came her once before they broke up. I did get to see Robert Earl Keen about 2 years ago with the wife. PACKED show. We were both commenting how the crowd was a mix of people in their 50s down to people in their 20s. We blamed proper parenting.

Nicknames are hard. D33D33 (dee dee) jumps out at me, or D3 (mighty duck reference?) I'm going to laugh when there is another group meeting I'm at and someone says "so this is NeRP?" and my wife looks at me/whoever funny. She won't care she just might want to know the story. It's all Max's fault anyways.

max kind of quiet. Hope all is well. Any big races coming up or just maintain?

ilana sounds like a lot has been going on. You're still allowed to participate anyways. It's not like we require weekly mileage. Advice is always welcome.

KK hope you're doing great.

fb I looked at VO2 max for a while before I stopped caring. I thought it would increase over time but I think mine stayed mid-50s even when I started improving my run times. My tips would be to ignore it and focus on things like running faster more than what a digital readout says you're capable of. Have you considered doing Whole 30? I've been told it's helped people with celiac as well as other GI issues. It might help you narrow down what makes it act up. Other than gluten.

rozzie goal race coming up?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Brew--I am trying to give myself another 6 months before I set a lofty goal.  I hope to be BQ ready by Early 2019.   Right now I signed up for a local 6 race series to keep me "engaged" and as fitness tests.  My coach is not too happy about this as (she knows me too well)  thinks my finish times will only make me distraught.  I am just enjoying being back in the running community again.  Yet I do struggle with how much fitness I have lost.  My injury took me out for almost 2 years.   Soooooo more importantly do you do any home brewing?  :-)

FB--I am a GI nurse by trade for the last 11 years.  I work with a lot of celiac patients and I really admire you being able to train through it all.  Very admirable indeed.

Keen--A good cup of coffee is heaven isn't it?   We are also into different beans, roasted, etc.   I read the "Thrive" book where Brendan Brazier (I think that is his name) lectured me on how I need to give up coffee for proper training.  I was like, Whaaaaaaat?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Rozzie - welcome!

Ilana - I'm sorry to see you take a break from this thread; please know that you are welcome whenever.

Cdaf - I agree with Dad - do you want to hedge your bets with the 5K or not?  I wouldn't plan on racing them both all out with good results - it's hard (for me) to race a good 5K off of marathon training; and a 5K close to my marathon would compromise my marathon performance.  So pick one for a time, and one for fun.

FB - my Garmin does VO2Max and some other stuff. I've never found it credible or valuable.

OMRBrewingCK, anyone I missed: hi.

3 miles very (very) easy to yoga (10:03 pace); yoga; and then 6 miles very easy (8:46).  In airport for flight home to Tampa.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Katia77

Ilana - sorry to hear about your parents. Tough situation and definitely understandable that you haven't gotten much running in.

Brew - lol re: NeRP...

OMR - good luck when you do start running again. It's always a challenge returning from any setback.

Hey all. I've been quiet because I'm super busy at work so I just am pretty short on time.  In a turn of events, I think I *did* decide to run the Race That Shall Not Be Named... I'm not sure how much I can train but I can decide whether my goal is to jog it or run it later.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Rozzie I've been known to make a beer or two. I've even been known to make kombucha. I won't say if any of it tastes good but it works for getting me drunk or into bad decisions like doing an ultra or a marathon or anything competitive like a 5K.

keen I looked up the AeroPress. I'd need to make 3-4 of those a day before 10am. Way too much time plus I'd need to get 175F water at my desk.

VDOT 53.37